Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Ws6 - Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ws6 - Help!!

I'm sure there are varied opinions, but I was wondering what is the single best thing to do to my manual 2000 WS6 TA for performance and sound at the best price? Right now, all I have on it is an SLP Loudmouth catback system. I want to have it fast off the line and ridiculously loud

I don't race it all, just street use. I really don't want to spend more than $1000. I know that is not much to work with, that's why I came here. So even if there are a combination of little things I can do, please let me know. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Headers and gears.

You should be able to find some pacesetters and a y pipe for a good price. That will help the sound portion.

Then slap some 4.10's in there and that will help you get out of the hole....if you can hook.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chadtx01
Headers and gears.

You should be able to find some pacesetters and a y pipe for a good price. That will help the sound portion.

Then slap some 4.10's in there and that will help you get out of the hole....if you can hook.
I don't know much about cars, so take it easy on me if I sound dumb

If I throw on pacesetters and a y-pipe, does the y-pipe replace my SLP catback system, or do I keep it on?

4.10's? How high will my RPM's be on the highway? Or does a gear not effect that? I told you, I don't know much...
Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would be able to keep your SLP catback. If you get longtube headers, it will replace the stock manifolds, where the exhaust comes off of the motor. The Y-Pipe butts up to the headers, and connects the exhaust to the catback. Bascially, you're replacing everything except the catback.

Yes, the gears will affect your RPM on the highway. They will definately be higher than they are now, but since you have a M6, you'll still be able to keep decent gas mileage and the performance gains are well worth it in the opinions of most LS1 owners.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:06 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

A lot of your questions can be answered by using the search function.

Read JRP's FAQ: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html
Old 06-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chadtx01
You would be able to keep your SLP catback. If you get longtube headers, it will replace the stock manifolds, where the exhaust comes off of the motor. The Y-Pipe butts up to the headers, and connects the exhaust to the catback. Bascially, you're replacing everything except the catback.

Yes, the gears will affect your RPM on the highway. They will definately be higher than they are now, but since you have a M6, you'll still be able to keep decent gas mileage and the performance gains are well worth it in the opinions of most LS1 owners.

Can I throw on the y-pipe by itself first? How much will the speed and sound be effected? What exactly do the headers do? And does it really matter if I get the armor coat ones or not?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:06 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fili
Can I throw on the y-pipe by itself first? How much will the speed and sound be effected? What exactly do the headers do? And does it really matter if I get the armor coat ones or not?
I wouldn't waste your time installing a new y-pipe without also installing headers. The sound achieved will depend on what headers you use, if you run mufflers, the brand of muffler, and the brand of catback used....many variables there.

Uncoated headers are going to rust up and look bad. Headers that are jet hot-coated like mine stay nice and new looking. I've got about 35,000 miles on my headers, and they still look great.

Here's the info on exactly what headers do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_system

Quick Reply: 2000 Ws6 - Help!!