Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for people with coated LT's

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for people with coated LT's

Well, I have been thinking about getting some LT's lately and wanted QTP's but after seeing the price and hearing good things about pacesetters I have been considering them lately. I'm looking for people that have them and do not drive in the winter and rarely in the rain and was wondeing if rust was still an issue?? It's not a huge concern, but i'm just interested to see how well the coating actually holds up.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coating on the bottom of the pacesetters wont hold up at all. I drove mine for about 2000-2500 miles last summer, then had the vehicle parked in my garage until this spring. The coating on the top by the heads looks nice, but the farther down you go the worse it looks.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 years garage queen, look as great as they did when I bought them. Jimmy must have dragged his off the floor when installing them. or banged them getting them in, or speed bump. I have no issues and this is the norm.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did they have the Armor coating on them?? That is what they are advertising now.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

If the bottom of the headers are a problem, you can buy some high-temp, ceramic coated paint and cover those suckers in that area even though they have been coated already. From every place I've ever looked or anyone I have ever heard from, the coating is well worth the extra $125.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Daily driven, since Dec, the bottoms are starting to show some spots of discoloration already, the tops look as good as the day they were put in
It's not really huge concern, just looks bad, unless you do the autoshows with the mirrors that show the bottom of the car, go ahead and get the coated pacesetters
They will eventually rust, but as long as the don't leak, it's really a cosmetic issue
Old 06-26-2006, 05:44 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine since December '04 as daily driver. There's not really such thing as "winter" down here, but they have been through plenty of water. Like the other guys said, you have to be under the car to see the discoloration, but they look nice from under the hood.

I say go with the stainless if you've got the money though, you'll probably feel better about it in the long run.