Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90mm TB

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90mm TB

Is a 90mm TB too much for a N/A, stock cam/heads car, just wondering if there is any possibility of losing some low end torque.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:11 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. Lots of people have awesome results from them.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:47 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upgraded to a FAST 90/90 and noticed no losses on the butt-dyno. The top end might be a *bit* crispier, but nothing to call the news crew about.

BTW - This was with no extra tuning work (just slapping it on) and I'm also cam-only with shitty '98 heads.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The intake pleniumm chamber is more important than the opening size in many respects. This is why the LS6 intake with the stock 75mm TB will generally out perform the LS2 intake with the stock 90mm TB.

And still for this reason the FAST 78mm setup out performas both. The FAST 90 with a 90mm TB (not FAST TB as theirs has issues). Is the ultimate setup for most people and will work well on any LS1 although cammed or h/c setups will benefit more from it.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:19 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I upgraded to a FAST 90/90 and noticed no losses on the butt-dyno. The top end might be a *bit* crispier, but nothing to call the news crew about.

BTW - This was with no extra tuning work (just slapping it on) and I'm also cam-only with shitty '98 heads.
You want a set of 99 heads? You need to find the valve covers, but I have some heads with valves.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You want a set of 99 heads? You need to find the valve covers, but I have some heads with valves.
I've already got a set of valve covers, and I'll be getting some *larger* heads soon enough to bolt them to.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

i upgraded to NW 90mm TB and FAST 90mm and gained 10HP and 10TQ before tuning

also, i'm going FI so..I will reveal numbers in august sometime
Old 06-27-2006, 01:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

lots of people complain about losses on every part they put in...
wahhh..I lost low end with long tubes...wahhh
wahhhh..I lost low end with a big cam...wahhh..
waaaahhhhhhh..I lost low end with an intake...wahhhhhh

those people need to stop being a baby and realize that if they got a proper street tune with a wideband that they didnt lose anything anywhere...
I have yet to see any mod for the LS1 that hurts low end...they only keep you from realizing the gain because of not properly tuning...

fast intakes work great on any car...theres always more power with more airflow, reguardless of other mods
Old 06-27-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
lots of people complain about losses on every part they put in...
wahhh..I lost low end with long tubes...wahhh
wahhhh..I lost low end with a big cam...wahhh..
waaaahhhhhhh..I lost low end with an intake...wahhhhhh

those people need to stop being a baby and realize that if they got a proper street tune with a wideband that they didnt lose anything anywhere...
I have yet to see any mod for the LS1 that hurts low end...they only keep you from realizing the gain because of not properly tuning...

fast intakes work great on any car...theres always more power with more airflow, reguardless of other mods
Interesting....odd but interesting
Old 06-27-2006, 03:19 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ok, here is another question instead of starting a new thread. i have a 6 speed car and hopefully ill have a new rear soon with a 4.10.

its just a bolt on car right now, but would it be worth getting the 90/90 setup over an ls6 intake. i want to spray the car sometime soon, and hopefully down the road ill have a stout cam. but is it worth it to get right now?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:07 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by JDP
ok, here is another question instead of starting a new thread. i have a 6 speed car and hopefully ill have a new rear soon with a 4.10.

its just a bolt on car right now, but would it be worth getting the 90/90 setup over an ls6 intake. i want to spray the car sometime soon, and hopefully down the road ill have a stout cam. but is it worth it to get right now?
Definatly not worth it, especially considering you'll be buying a 12-bolt when that 10-bolt grenades itself. LS6/ported TB is the way to go. Look at it this way, if you ever want to upgrade to a FAST, you'll have $400 strapped to your heads (read: you can always re-sell them).
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Definatly not worth it, especially considering you'll be buying a 12-bolt when that 10-bolt grenades itself. LS6/ported TB is the way to go. Look at it this way, if you ever want to upgrade to a FAST, you'll have $400 strapped to your heads (read: you can always re-sell them).
thats what i figured, and if you read correctly (which you didnt ) i said ill have a NEW rear with a 4.10 so my 10 bolt will not have the chance to break.

thanks for the help though, and your right about the resale so it looks like it will be an ls6 intake for me. maybe when i need it (if i ever do) ill get the fast intake
Old 06-27-2006, 11:44 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by JDP
thats what i figured, and if you read correctly (which you didnt ) i said ill have a NEW rear with a 4.10 so my 10 bolt will not have the chance to break.

thanks for the help though, and your right about the resale so it looks like it will be an ls6 intake for me. maybe when i need it (if i ever do) ill get the fast intake
I thought you meant that you got a NEW 10-bolt!

I'm glad I mis-read it, or there'd be some slapping in order.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

I thought you meant that you got a NEW 10-bolt!

I'm glad I mis-read it, or there'd be some slapping in order.
i would deserve it if i was dumb enough to buy a 10bolt with my 6 speed.

i would need a baker's dozen of them to last a weekend of racing.