Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my shifter bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my shifter bad?

I have to let you guys know first of all I am newbie poster so don't hold that against me. I have 98 z28 and I was in line at wendy's last night and my shifter popped out of gear and when I tried to shift it back into gear it took both hands to get it back into gear. When I got it to the garage shifting from gear to gear was very difficult. Almost like you have power steering and then you don't and it takes everything you have to get it turned. It goes from gear to gear but you have to put some weight and very percise with the shifts.

I was wondering if that sounded like the shifter itself maybe the plastic cup at the bottom of the shifter or something. Again I know I sould like an idiot but I am very confused!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could try removing your shifter and re seating it but I think it would be a pretty optimistic thought to think thats the problem.

It sounds more to me like you might be having tranny problems.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

It also sounds like a transmission problem to me. Does it grind when you try to go into gear?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:20 AM
Teching In

It doesn't grind into every gear, before this happen it only grinded into 5th gear.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's your transmission. Synchros or something internal. Possible clutch engagment problems too.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Teching In

If the tranny is bad what would I probably looking at with price on getting that fixed?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lunchbox
It doesn't grind into every gear, before this happen it only grinded into 5th gear.
I've got the 5th gear grind as well...sux. If you wouldn't mind let me know if someone gives you a quote on how much it would be to get it fixed, I'm just curious because eventually I'm gonna have to fix it...or pay someone to fix it and that would suck.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lunchbox
If the tranny is bad what would I probably looking at with price on getting that fixed?
You should be able to get it rebuilt for about $500
Old 06-28-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im having a similar problem it is hard to shift and my sometimes will grind 4th or 6th and is almost impossible to get into reverse i have to turn the car off to get it in.....but my car also will start rolling when i am at a dead stop while the clutch is all he way in....so the clutch isnt fully disengaging so im hoping itsd only the clutch problem i think i need to shim it or something still trying to figure tha part out