Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

which will make more power front vs rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which will make more power front vs rear

Front mounted turbo vs. the rear mounted...which will put out higher numbers, per lbs of boost, both with intercoolers...which will put out more hp? sts sounds good, but i seen a front mounted turbo t/a that was pretty bad ***, so i cant decide oh, and the kits going on a 02 firehawk m6
Old 06-28-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the front-mount will ultimately make more power than rear. Rear has cost and installation advantages, though.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Restricted User

general turbo knowledge says that front mounted systems are more "efficient" and thus will give u better power/response etc when u get into big numbers....but ive seen a few rear mounted setups putting down impressive #'s...thats why i piecing together my own custom rear mount...while saving thousands ill post up when i get everything on and tuned
Old 06-28-2006, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Hey fenix, nice to see you're still breathing! Haven't seen you post in some time.

Some front mount setups require the AC to be relocated. You'll see higher under-hood temperatures with it under the hood also and higher IAT's than an STS, because the charge pipe has so much distance to dissapate heat, but at the cost of some lag. I'm overall very happy with my rear mount T70, and it's a fairly good sized turbo for a 346.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the rear mount turbo in my 2000 trans am and i am making 600hp on 12psi and i love it.you can call billy @ trtturbo.com and he can help you with the rear mount.

give him call.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Fronts make the most power rear is just for people who don't want to spend the $ and still say they have a turbo.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

haha, rear is just simpler plain and simple, yes theres up and downs to both,

i beleieve the front is better, but its just me. never did a rear mount before tho. when its in the front the exhaust has the most energy which would be good for the turbine
Old 06-29-2006, 04:43 AM
On The Tree

its your choice...everyone likes to see a turbo on the car but one in the back!? I like that in general. Both put down impressive numbers and both are great on the street. Just depends on what you want
Old 06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

everyone i know thats heard about the sts laughs, front mount turbos will spool quicker but do run hotter.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:08 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
everyone i know thats heard about the sts laughs, front mount turbos will spool quicker but do run hotter.

You are kinda showing some ignorance here dude. There are some decently quick rear mount cars in here. Well into the 9's, which is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

this will be a fun post to follow.

back or front of the car doesnt matter.. its the dimensions of the pipes and way they are put together.

i've never seen any proof in engineering school or in real life supporting the thought that a turbo further away from the engine can be advantageous in making hp

you can definitely take a car that can run 9's on motor and still manage a 9 with an sts style kit.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
this will be a fun post to follow.
Indeed.

Allow me to stir the pot a bit...

Are there any 6 second / 210+ mph rear mount cars?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd just do a rear mount roots blower that way there is no loss down low.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
You are kinda showing some ignorance here dude. There are some decently quick rear mount cars in here. Well into the 9's, which is nothing to sneeze at.
Not F-bodies....
Old 06-29-2006, 07:05 PM
9 Second Club

Ummm ok... This will be an interesting post to watch.

I will offer my humble opinion... wanted or not. Physics determines that a side by side comparison will yield that a rearmount cannot make the same power that a front mount does. It is a matter of heat retention... until we invent a "Zero temp loss" system, rearmounts just cant get the same type of air that a front mount does. For more info read our thermodynamics conversations in the other posts on this board.

Now for arguments sake... I am building what I hope will be a 900RWHP rearmount setup. But I know what I want... and I have a good plan on how to approach it. But I dont think I could ever match one for one a front mount... apples and oranges IMHO.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

Rear mounts CAN make good power.There are a few rear mount cars and trucks in my town making 600to900 rwhp but evan at that power they dont seem to perform as well as a nice front mount setup
Old 06-29-2006, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

I'll admit I am a novice to the turbo thing, but one hting i know for sure, is that the rear mount from STS has a CARB number which allows it to pass NJ inspection which is a hard state to pass in. I have talked to a guy who works for NJ inspection and he told me that most Front mount turbo cars do not pass in central NJ unless they came from the factory stock with it. I showed him the Rear mount with the CARB number and he said it would definitely pass and has seen many STS styled turbo cars already pass in NJ. So if you live in a state where emissions is tough and you don't know some one that runs a private inspection station, The rear mount is food for thought. Plus not everyone is looking for a car that is going to make 1000 + hp from a turbo. I myself am in the process of looking to make my 98 Camaro the first cartek car with an STS turbo to run in the low 10's or even high 9's. I personally think it will happen. I got the money, and they got the expertise. If emissions wasn't an issue though, i would prob go with the GMR front mount twin turbo setup. But most tuners i talked to said they couldn't finegal what ever codes need to be fixed to pass. And no way am i going to pay some one to pass me every 2 years. So its a lot to think about for a rear mount and front mount.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I'd just do a rear mount roots blower that way there is no loss down low.
Make sure you post pics of that one.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:30 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Make sure you post pics of that one.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redbanditz28
I'll admit I am a novice to the turbo thing, but one hting i know for sure, is that the rear mount from STS has a CARB number which allows it to pass NJ inspection which is a hard state to pass in. I have talked to a guy who works for NJ inspection and he told me that most Front mount turbo cars do not pass in central NJ unless they came from the factory stock with it. I showed him the Rear mount with the CARB number and he said it would definitely pass and has seen many STS styled turbo cars already pass in NJ. So if you live in a state where emissions is tough and you don't know some one that runs a private inspection station, The rear mount is food for thought. Plus not everyone is looking for a car that is going to make 1000 + hp from a turbo. I myself am in the process of looking to make my 98 Camaro the first cartek car with an STS turbo to run in the low 10's or even high 9's. I personally think it will happen. I got the money, and they got the expertise. If emissions wasn't an issue though, i would prob go with the GMR front mount twin turbo setup. But most tuners i talked to said they couldn't finegal what ever codes need to be fixed to pass. And no way am i going to pay some one to pass me every 2 years. So its a lot to think about for a rear mount and front mount.
Forgive me for pointing this out, but I think the question was. . .

Originally Posted by LS1tuboplan
which will put out more hp?
You can debate pro's and con's of each all day long, as has been done at least 100 times before. But the answer to his question is simple and even most STS guys agree with front-mount guys on the issue.

Mike

Quick Reply: which will make more power front vs rear