Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slp 85mm Maf

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Slp 85mm Maf

I put one on my car and it seemed to work out. After alot of reading, I was affraid it would turn out to be snake oil. But my car seems to have better throttle response, and it spun more then usual in first so I think it worked out.
The "stock" maf I took out was descreened. The previouse owner must have done that.
Of course this is all seat of the pants, but I figured I would report my findings.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

So is your only other performance mod a lid?

The aftermarket MAF does one thing and one thing only. It essentailly gives false information to the PCM which in turn leans out the car. The better a/f will increase HP.

You could acheive exactly the same result by tuning with the stock MAF to lean out the a/f.

Where you will run into problems, is the SLP MAF is designed to work on an otherwise stock setup. If you add other performance parts (exhausts, headers, intake, TB, cam, heads) this false information will be drastically wrong which will cause adverse side affects. Probably way too lean, so lack of fuel, detonation and KR.

The only solution is to go and have a tune to correct the MAF readings. But a stock MAF would still have done just as good a job and by tuning you will totally negated the fact of buying the aftermarket one.

If you plan on no more mods then although not the best route the SLP MAF can be considered a performance upgrade which yielded more HP.

But beyond this it will just become an expensive add on which does not enhance or gain HP over a stock tuned MAF or a SD tune.

However, if you're happy then none of this means anything.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a good point. Did it myself. SLP lid, K&N, WS6 cold air Rain Defector delete , SLP MAF, SLP Smooth Bellows and SLP LM exhaust. They didn't start really working together till I got a diablo with and SLP tune.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet is to leave the Maf stock. You might descreen it, carefully, but that is all.

Things get screwey when you mess with the MAF unless you know damn well what you are doing.

BTW: The Diablo is not a substitute for a proper dyno tune with HPTuners, LS1 Edit, etc.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the SLP MAF for about 7 months and it seems to work just find. But i havent added any performance mods such as headers yet. So we'll see how it works out