Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My exhaust experiences.....

Old 06-29-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My exhaust experiences.....

Well, here are some things I learned after a few different combinations of exhaust systems.

First, with my car being a WS6, the stock exhaust sounded nice for about one year and then I needed more. So, I bought one of the first magnaflow systems offered back in the fall of 2000. The magnaflow with stock manifolds and cats sounded nice and deep with no rasp. I enjoyed this sound until the summer of 2004.

In the summer of 2004, I put on qtp longtubes and their magnaflow-catted ypipe. That setup sounded very good. Very deep sounding with no rasp but roared at wide open throttle. Everything was great until a month later and both cats broke free from their cases and were rattling around. Barry sent me out two more cats and they did the same thing. I ended up making the catted ypipe into an offroad ypipe and the car was then louder with significantly more rasp. To help this, I put a round borla xr-1 muffler in the ipipe and that took away the rasp and the exhaust sounded good again.

Now this year I swapped my magnaflow for a corsa exhaust because of the different sound and the awesome looking tips. I put the corsa on and it was noticably louded than the magnaflow was with the offroad pipe only. Besides being a lot louder, it was really raspy and higher pitched sounding. Crazy loud at wide open throttle. After a month of enduring this loud raspy sound I finally threw my borla xr-1 muffler back into the ipipe of the corsa. Boy did that ever clean up the sound again. The rasp is gone and the exhaust is significantly deeper sounding. Less popping and snapping as well. It still screams at WOT but it sounds much more pleasing to the ear.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the xr-1 muffler will definitely clean up your exhaust sound, especially if you are running an offroad ypipe. It is a straight through muffler with stainless steel mesh to absorb the sound as well as a skinny metal filament running down the center of the opening to break up the rasp and other unwanted sounds.

Definitely a must-do mod if you like your exhaust to have some refinement as well as being extra-deep sounding.

I would also like to add that I flattened the bottom of the xr-1 muffler in order to gain another inch or so of ground clearance. It turned out great and it doesn't scrape anymore.

Search this Thread