Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooler location...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tranny cooler location...

i had it up front right by the radiator. I switched headers and now the braided line i had used and routed, is rubbing on the headers. I am thinking about moving the cooler to a different location.

anyone put their cooler BEHIND the transmission? like where the cats would go? any other idea?

Chris
Old 06-29-2006, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd think a cooler wouldn't do well behind the tranny, there'd be little airflow while moving and none while sitting still....all while the exhaust radiates heat right to the cooler. For a cooler to do well it has to have air forced through it..... in traffic, my though is it almost has to have a fan in front of it. Depending on how much sitting in traffic you do, maybe not.

Currently I've got mine in front of the radiator right in front of the driver's side fan along with lower fan settings and a manual switch. My temps usually stay under 170. I haven't had it out in weather above 85 degrees yet, but it's supposed to be 100 here this weekend....should be a good test. I've thought about cutting the foam out behind the two 'nostrils' on the front of the camaro and stick a cooler behind each side. Plenty of airflow while moving, not close enough to a heat source to get too hot while sitting still. I do like the ability to force air through it with the fans while in traffic though....
Old 06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where mine is right now, it will barely budge above 160* even while sitting in traffic. hotlapping it at the track gets it up to about 170*.

just trying to think outloud