Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pending disaster! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pending disaster! What to do?

I recently sold my BBK manifold and bought an Edelbrock Victor Jr. Still needed a few parts and wanted to wait and get an LS6 valley cover so I just sat the manifold on the motor and started ordering what I needed. Today I decided that I was going to start to assemble everything and was shocked at what I found. Keep in mind that it's been just sitting there with no injectors or elbow and TB for two weeks. It's rained a few times but the hood was closed and I just don't see how this happened. Notice the back two intake ports on the passenger head. Filled with water. Does this mean all my cylinders are probably filled or is it because those two valves are closed? Everything else looks bone dry. What should I do at this point? Looks like my weekend has gone to ****!

Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

With the springs pulling the valves closed pretty tight, it probably didnt leak ino the cylinder. I'd pull the head now anyway and verify.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
8 Second Club

Or just crank it over with the plugs out of it and the injector harness pulled to clear the water out of it...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, your oil probably looks milky now, so I'd change it before you fired it up. When I did heads and cam the first time on my car, I had a towel over block with the hood down when it rained. Then I went to fire it up a few days later and my oil looked like a Milk shake!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
Or just crank it over with the plugs out of it and the injector harness pulled to clear the water out of it...
That's what I was thinking. Just wondering if any damage has been done in terms of rust. That back plug is gonna be a bitch.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if anything it has a tiny bit of flash rust on it if it was only wet a few days. Pull the plugs crank it over a number of times. Change the oil with very cheap oil and filter, start it run it for a lil bit and change the oil again. In case you had water in the crankcase the oil pump may suck it up when you crank it over, you wanna make sure all of that gets out.

On second thought, try to keep the car level, and crack the oil pan boolt alil loose till it just starts leaking, if it has water it it it will drain 90% of the water before you see the oil come out. Remember oil floats on water. Ive done this after cam swaps and evrery time the coolant came out, then the oil. Do this then change the oil.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i agree turn it over with plugs out till the water clears, but first go ahead and soak any of that water out of the intake ports
Old 06-30-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update:

I soaked up all the water from the rear two ports as best I could, pulled all the plugs and spun the engine over. I put paper towels around all the spark plug holes and the only two that showed anything was the same two in the pics. Very little water actually only spray came out. I assume this was the little bit left over I couldn't get out of the ports. I think all the cylinders were bone dry. I feel very lucky as I've seen what kinda damage this can do.

I think I know what happened. The hood wasn't latched all the way when it rained. Still slightly open. The water probably ran down the hood past the cowl seal and directly into the intake. It's a direct shot. The car is in the drive so it is at an angle and slightly to the right. When the water hit the intake it went with the angle of the driveway and straight back to the rear two cylinders.

After 20 yrs of working on cars you would think I would know better. Learn something new everyday. Or at least get reminded of something that you know and overlooked.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still changed the oil i hope?

Quick Reply: Pending disaster! What to do?