Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several !Catback questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Several !Catback questions

I just installed some SLP LT headers and an SLP ory. It is running back through the stock catback with an open cutout. I'd like to remove the catback and put a bullet on the end of the Y-pipe. I'm hoping to get this done in the next week but have a few questions.

First, will I lose any overall power if I run a bullet off the ORY and don't have a catback?

Second, should I worry about carbon monoxide? I am running no carpet and the bullet will be right underneath the body.

Lastly, which is the best flowing/sounding bullet to run. I would like to be pretty loud, but I want to tame the resonation as much as I can. If the car isn't screaming that's alright.

Thanks everyone
Old 06-30-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll get some fumes, but you won't die....

I would really consider getting a free flowing catback. I don't think you will like the sound coming right off the y.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

TTT for some answers!!

Grimes, I think if I run a good enough bullet it should quiet it down somewhat. Right now its loud as can be with the cutout open. I get to much resonation. An aftermarket catback is out of the question due to the price and the weight (every pound counts!)
Old 07-01-2006, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my old car i had slp lt slp ory and a bullit style magnaflow is sounded sweet not to loud around town but when u stomp it man she came alive
Old 07-01-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Was the bullet after the Y? Were you catback-less?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

im currently running an SLP loudmouth resonator then dumped....
no fume problems and sound is badass
Old 07-02-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking of doing the same to mine. I don't know why because I'm already running a TSP rumbler.. I just like the idea and heck it won't make the car much louder than it already is. hmmm.. mabey I'll put a bullet on the Y and exit the exhaust out just befor e the pass side tire.

there are Dynomax bullet mufflers, Moroso Spiral flow, flowmaster Outlaw series, Hedman, sweet thunder, Magnaflow.. they al lmake 4-5" diamater case bullet mufflers. If you are looking for loud get the shortest length muffler you can. I believe Dynomax has a 12" case length bullet. that will probably just quiet the car down a little at idle but thats about it.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Word of whise i would get a Catback.. he money is vry well spent. You went SLp headers & ORY might as well search for a SLP "LM" "CB".. Dont try to Be cheap & save a few bucks to only have your car SOund LIke complete *** on a LS1
Old 07-02-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It'll sound cool but you'll get a lot of resonation regardless. I got a lot with the Rumbler catback on my stock manifolds and ypipe. Still get just about as much with my Magnaflow bullet, but it's a little deeper. I'm not complaining about it, just letting you know, you'll probably have even more resonation than I do, which to me is already a lot.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:21 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No carpet!? WTF?!!!? Why not?
Old 07-02-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Z2K_MrJ I am not ditching the catback to be cheap. I am ditching the catback because there is at least 50lbs I can lose right there. Maybe not much to you, but .05 in the 1/4 to me. It all adds up.

orangeapeel, I am running no carpet because I do not need it and there was a lot of weight to be lost by ditching it. I have a thin coat (less than 2lbs total) of heavy duty DIY spray in bedliner instead of carpet that looks great.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

yes just added enough pipe so the mufffler with a turn down would exit right at the axle sounded good to me
Old 07-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Launching!

I cant see stripping any of my camaros down to no carpet because of weight. Sure i love to go fast and be light, but i want my comfort and accesories too, and maybe the occational friend to go along with me in my ride.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

Here is some advise from someone who has actually ran this set-up!!!!

I currently have a 3"x12" dynamax bullet w/ turnOUTS on the end of each of my headers. This set-up is WAY to loud, and takes what I call a nice **** when I shift gears (funny raspy noise).

BUT, before I did this I had a TSP ORY with one 3"x12" bullet w/ a turndown on the end and it sounded AWESOME. Pure bad-***-ery. It was somewhat quiet if I baby-ed it when police were next to me, and sounded mean as **** when I drove normal, or got in the throttle.

DO IT!!! Stick a dynomax 3" bullet on your y-pipe and you will not regret it!!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

That is what I am leaning towards. Dynomax is winning in the poll in my other thread. I mean ****, for $35 bucks I can't really see why not to at least give it a shot.

And Black02LS1, I'm sure you also can't see yourself DD'ing a 4400 stall, 4.10 geared, 242/248 cammed car every day either can ya? Every little thing adds up, it's all in the total combo, 50lbs included. I'll find 50 pounds 5 more times and drop .3 seconds off my ET. I enjoy my car by myself, **** passenger comfort. If they don't like it they can be the DD for the night
Old 07-03-2006, 01:45 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
That is what I am leaning towards. Dynomax is winning in the poll in my other thread. I mean ****, for $35 bucks I can't really see why not to at least give it a shot.

And Black02LS1, I'm sure you also can't see yourself DD'ing a 4400 stall, 4.10 geared, 242/248 cammed car every day either can ya? Every little thing adds up, it's all in the total combo, 50lbs included. I'll find 50 pounds 5 more times and drop .3 seconds off my ET. I enjoy my car by myself, **** passenger comfort. If they don't like it they can be the DD for the night
If you want ultimate weight reductions....and flow, then put one on each header and sell your y-pipe.

^^^.......*** long as you are okay with LOUD AS ****!