Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those looking to mount remote oil filters or coolers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default For those looking to mount remote oil filters or coolers

I have been looking for something like this for a while. I didn't like the idea of tweaking a truck unit to work and I couldn't believe there wasn't a simple screw on method.

Found this from a company in Huntington Beach, CA, called Pure Power. The founder is a racer for the last 40 something years and they make a lot of mil spec oils and filters for the military. Recently he has started making stuff for cars as well (has made filters for govt stuff for years.. very cool stuff)

Anyways. We messed around and found this worked perfectly on f-body, vett and GTO oil pans.. Thought some people here would find this useful.

Their filter are sweet.. last forever (cleanable) and actually filter the oil unlike paper filters (didn't know that the oil doesn't go through the paper.. just flows over it..) These are used in many racing bodies like NASCAR and such. If you look close you can see the tiny rare-earth magnets embedded in the mesh. Anyways, I'm pretty happy to have my oiling system sorted out.

Oh, the filter bodies come in smooth and ridged. The ridged design dissapates heat out of the oil better. You can also get just a filter to hook to your pan, but I like the remote deal. Last thing.. the filter can be had with or without a built in bypass.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any prices on this stuff?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave88z
Got any prices on this stuff?
Not really.. I got the "good guy price".. I think regular billet mesh filter is under $200.. If you add up all the filters you buy over the course of time it's a deal.

Also, if you saw how crappy most filters are inside you would be sad.. I didn't know the oil didn't actually go through the paper..

I cant imagine the block off is that much.. a hundred bucks or so. He is sending me a pricelist and I will post what the stuff cost when I get it.

I know others have been looking for the screw on bypass deal.. the rest is just cool looking. lol

Cool macro shot..
Old 07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Do you know what the minimum particle size (25, 50 microns) is that these will remove?

Thanks

Danny
Old 07-01-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DannyR
Do you know what the minimum particle size (25, 50 microns) is that these will remove?

Thanks

Danny
Down to 10 micron I believe..

http://www.gopurepower.com/site/prod...lt.asp#FILTERS

He had a filter element from Earnhardt Jr.. thing was trashed. I guess the racecar had some sort of mech failure that sent a bunch of metal to the filter. I held and saved the motor. Dale sent it back to the shop with $50 and a note. The note said "Here's $50.. go buy dinner on us since your filter saved our motor" Anyways, it was a cooler story when he told it.. lol
Old 07-01-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it will pay for itself after 100-200k miles.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Looks like it will pay for itself after 100-200k miles.
Well, if you change your oil every 3k miles.. that would be 33 oil changes in 100k miles.

If you paid $10 for a POS filter that would be $330 in oil filters.. the regular filter runs $199 I think..

And that's if you buy cheap *** filters that don't even work that great..

Happy to help you with the math
Old 07-01-2006, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Very cool indeed, but where would you mount it on a F-Body?
Old 07-01-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lightbulb

Yes that was what I was thinking .. where to mount it...sounds good keep us posted on the info when you get it...thanks..
Old 07-01-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Very cool indeed, but where would you mount it on a F-Body?
Dunno.. you can mount it anywhere you can run the lines to.. the father you mount it (to a point) the more is acts to cool your oil down as well.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Well, if you change your oil every 3k miles.. that would be 33 oil changes in 100k miles.

If you paid $10 for a POS filter that would be $330 in oil filters.. the regular filter runs $199 I think..

And that's if you buy cheap *** filters that don't even work that great..

Happy to help you with the math
It will be hard to help me with my math when you don't know the price of the filter and you change the variables to suit your needs. Let me change them for my benefit...let's be a little daring and change our oil every 5k miles (did I get it right professor?).

Considering you are only speculating on the price of the filter at $200 (not including anything else needed to use this), then my math is correct.

Another assumption you make is this filter will last 100k miles on the same engine, because if it didn't, our costs are now doubled. I too think a stainless steel filter of good quality and construction would last at least that long, but we don't know, **** happens. This is important because it's only warranteed for the lifetime of one engine. That is feasible if we have a low mileage vehicle that we plan on keeping for at least 100k miles, but what if we have a vehicle with 50k miles on the engine? We would not see a return on investment until we reach 150k miles (again, assuming the whole package costs no more than $200).

In my opinion, $10 can buy a great oil filter. For $10 you can buy 2 AC Delcos, or a K&N, or a Mobil1 (which are sometimes free if you buy a case of oil). These are oil filters that have proven themselves for many years and many miles.

I'm not trying to be negative, just logical. It is definately an idea whose time has come. It would be nice if the price justifies it.

Happy to correct your math, assumptions, and logic!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

It will be hard to help me with my math when you don't know the price of the filter and you change the variables to suit your needs. Let me change them for my benefit...let's be a little daring and change our oil every 5k miles (did I get it right professor?).

Considering you are only speculating on the price of the filter at $200 (not including anything else needed to use this), then my math is correct.

Another assumption you make is this filter will last 100k miles on the same engine, because if it didn't, our costs are now doubled. I too think a stainless steel filter of good quality and construction would last at least that long, but we don't know, **** happens. This is important because it's only warranteed for the lifetime of one engine. That is feasible if we have a low mileage vehicle that we plan on keeping for at least 100k miles, but what if we have a vehicle with 50k miles on the engine? We would not see a return on investment until we reach 150k miles (again, assuming the whole package costs no more than $200).

In my opinion, $10 can buy a great oil filter. For $10 you can buy 2 AC Delcos, or a K&N, or a Mobil1 (which are sometimes free if you buy a case of oil). These are oil filters that have proven themselves for many years and many miles.

I'm not trying to be negative, just logical. It is definately an idea whose time has come. It would be nice if the price justifies it.

If you don't want it or can't afford it then don't buy it.. If you want the same tech that racecars use to protect thier engines then this is what they use. I swear f-body people are some of the cheapest people on earth. The oiling system is only the most important system on your car. It only protects thousands of dollars in parts. Again, if you don't want it don't buy it.. pretty simple really..

If you think the paper element filters work just as good then go for it. It's more than just a cost benefit.. there's the fact that it actually filters the oil rather than scavenge it out but passing it over course paper.

Cheapest I've seen online for the cheapy PF44 AC Delco is $6 and then you have to pay a few bucks for shipping.. I don't think $10 was an unreasonable amount.. especially when I said GOOD filter (ie, ultraguard, K&N, etc)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181

Here's a K&N filter.. $9.95 plus shipping (remember I said GOOD filter)
http://www.lmperformance.com/4243/44.html

The Delco ULTRAGUARD (remember, I said good filter.. not the cheapest POS you can attach to your engine).. $9.99 plus shipping

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...y_Code=C6UNDER

So, I stand by my $10 number.. and for your ten bucks you still get a so-so paper filter. There's also flow rate (a K&N flows 9-12gpm.. this flows 25gpm, etc).. Anyways, not here to get into a e-argument with you.. just showing a good adaptor to route oil.

As stated this thread was more about the block off..
Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Another assumption you make is this filter will last 100k miles on the same engine, because if it didn't, our costs are now doubled.
That's not an assumpting.. it's a proven fact.. there is nothing to every wear out and these filters have ran on Diesel trucks for over a million miles. Also, the design lend itself to work on quite a few vehicles so in theory you could most likely take the filter to your next vehicle..

Nice way to bend the data to fit your argument
Old 07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

It just sounds to me like you can't afford / don't care about putting high quality parts on your car, nobody buys a part like this to save money, and its funny that you make that your entire point.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said...The cost bennifit is not what is important to me..it is the better filtering and flow of the unit that make it attractive to me..plus the cooling ability of the unit too..sounds like the way to go..please post up any more info you may run across..thanks..
Old 07-01-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyR

Thanks

Danny
According to the website, it's a 45 micron filter. They have many references to "30 micron particles and smaller" and "10 micron particles and smaller" but have no acutal SAE tests to compare theirs to any of the popular paper filters. I'm not sure how they get down to 10 microns with a 45 micron element.

This isn't new, System 1 and Oberg have offered this type of filter for 15+ years. I've used both System 1 and Oberg and have not been impressed with the filtering capability on a daily driven car. The screen does not filter as well as a good synthetic element, like the new Amsoil Nanofilter EaO series, to provide adequate longevity.

Anyone have 30 - 40,000 miles on an engine with a screen filter?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
If you don't want it or can't afford it then don't buy it.. If you want the same tech that racecars use to protect thier engines then this is what they use. I swear f-body people are some of the cheapest people on earth. The oiling system is only the most important system on your car. It only protects thousands of dollars in parts. Again, if you don't want it don't buy it.. pretty simple really..
Originally Posted by Boostaholic
It just sounds to me like you can't afford / don't care about putting high quality parts on your car, nobody buys a part like this to save money, and its funny that you make that your entire point.
If you read the threads in their entirety starting from the beginning, you'll see that the cost benefit was one of the first points made by Steve1969LS1 as to why this is a good product. I only argued the cost point because it wasn't a good one. It has nothing to do with affordability.

If I follow your logic Boostaholic, it sounds to me like you are the type to buy a product based on bling-appeal and the amount of smoke a marketer puts up your ***. I'll choose to spend my money on a proven product that works for my application or one that will give me a ROI. In other words, I'll choose to spend my money wisely as opposed to wastefully throwing it away hoping the product will perform as advertised.

And don't be dumb enough to believe that because a product is used in a "race car" it means it is good for your daily driver or weekend cruiser. How many times has this point been proven???
Old 07-01-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
According to the website, it's a 45 micron filter. They have many references to "30 micron particles and smaller" and "10 micron particles and smaller" but have no acutal SAE tests to compare theirs to any of the popular paper filters. I'm not sure how they get down to 10 microns with a 45 micron element.

This isn't new, System 1 and Oberg have offered this type of filter for 15+ years. I've used both System 1 and Oberg and have not been impressed with the filtering capability on a daily driven car. The screen does not filter as well as a good synthetic element, like the new Amsoil Nanofilter EaO series, to provide adequate longevity.

Anyone have 30 - 40,000 miles on an engine with a screen filter?
Just cause it's not on thier website doesn't mean they "don't have it".. I think thier exact phrasing is that they are 90% more efficient than paper filters at removing particles 30 microns and SMALLER.." Down to 10 microns although 10 microns is not going to do your engine any harm.

I will ask about the ones you mentioned and see what they say..
Old 07-01-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

If you read the threads in their entirety starting from the beginning, you'll see that the cost benefit was one of the first points made by Steve1969LS1 as to why this is a good product. I only argued the cost point because it wasn't a good one. It has nothing to do with affordability.

If I follow your logic Boostaholic, it sounds to me like you are the type to buy a product based on bling-appeal and the amount of smoke a marketer puts up your ***. I'll choose to spend my money on a proven product that works for my application or one that will give me a ROI. In other words, I'll choose to spend my money wisely as opposed to wastefully throwing it away hoping the product will perform as advertised.

And don't be dumb enough to believe that because a product is used in a "race car" it means it is good for your daily driver or weekend cruiser. How many times has this point been proven???
One.. ONE benefit.. Using your logic a KN filter is stupid as well.. how about this.. it's better for the environment.. lol

If you don't drive your car much or don't change oil often then you are right.. my $10 a filter example holds up.. under those conditions it would eventually pay for itself. However, I got it mainly for its superior flow and what I feel is better filtration. :shrug:
Old 07-01-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

So you buy it cause it's cheap and must be the best cause it came on your car from the factory.. lol.. wow, that's scientific..

Throwing it away? wow, assumptive arn't we..

Again.. Im not the oil expert.. or filter expert. Just passing along what I was told and looked up. This was (again) mainly about the remote adaptor that works with whatever type of filter you choose to buy.

Last edited by Steve1969LS1; 07-01-2006 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: For those looking to mount remote oil filters or coolers