First trip to track

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First trip to track

I took my 02 SS to the local 1/8th mile dragstrip for the first time last night (Roxboro, NC). Made four passes on street tires (Goodyear Eagle F1's), mainly just to get a baseline. I have some MT ET Street drag radials ready for my next trip.

Best pass ended up being my first one: 8.981 @ 82.108 MPH with a 2.223 60 ft. That was even with banging the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift, so I know it's got more in it.

Does that suck? Mods are in sig.

I thought it was decent for a first pass, but I was kinda bummed I wasn't able to better it the rest of the night. All of my subsequent 60 ft. times were worse than the 2.223 from the first pass- maybe the street tires got hot and greasy? I was running 44 PSI in my front tires and 20 PSI in my rear tires.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your car looked good last night. sorry we didnt get more time to talk since i was preoccupied most of the night.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Old Drag Racer

You're making decent power at 336. You've just got to work on using it a little more efficiently. The ET Street radials are going to go a long way towards that end. Also, practice never hurts. Go back out and try it a few more times and I'll bet you'll be able to knock several tenths off your time and gain MPH in the bargain. I didin't see an aftermarket rear listed in your mods. Take it easy on the launch with the ET Street Radials until you get something more substantial back there unless breaking the rear doesn't bother you. I think you'll be safe somewhere down in the 1.9/2.0 60' time range which will net you a low 8 in the 1/8th @ 85 or so MPH even in the Summer heat. I run at Northeast Dragway or Outer Banks Speedway every Friday night so if you ever decide to head east a little for a night of drag racing, look me up. Good luck with your car.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SMITH
your car looked good last night. sorry we didnt get more time to talk since i was preoccupied most of the night.
Thanks, Justin- your car looked really good.

Were you pleased with your times?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question

Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
You're making decent power at 336. You've just got to work on using it a little more efficiently. The ET Street radials are going to go a long way towards that end. Also, practice never hurts. Go back out and try it a few more times and I'll bet you'll be able to knock several tenths off your time and gain MPH in the bargain. I didin't see an aftermarket rear listed in your mods. Take it easy on the launch with the ET Street Radials until you get something more substantial back there unless breaking the rear doesn't bother you. I think you'll be safe somewhere down in the 1.9/2.0 60' time range which will net you a low 8 in the 1/8th @ 85 or so MPH even in the Summer heat. I run at Northeast Dragway or Outer Banks Speedway every Friday night so if you ever decide to head east a little for a night of drag racing, look me up. Good luck with your car.
Thanks, man. I need a lot of practice- I'm not a very experienced drag racer, and I get a little nervous out there. I'd be real happy with mid to low 8's right now. I have some 4.10's on order for the stock 10 bolt- I'm just not going to worry about it. If it breaks, it breaks.

What's the best way to launch and shift with street tires?

Should I power shift or will it tear up the tranny? I've heard power shifting is worth a tenth or two.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:22 AM
Old Drag Racer

My car is an A4 and I have never piloted a 4th gen M6 F-Body car down the track so I'm not one to give advice on how to pull off a decent launch with your car. I can tell you that your nerves will get better and better as you make more trips to the track to the point that it's no different than driving to the grocery store. I've heard that 4.10's weaken the stock 10 bolt to the point that you're sure to break it on a hard launch on MT's. If you're going for broke with that combo, go on a trailer. I do have experience with the stock rear but it was in a 3rd gen. Back in the day I had an 84 Z28 with a manual tranny and, of course, the crappy 7.5" 10 bolt w/3.73's. Never broke the tranny but broke 5 rear posi units. Engine was a 7000 RPM destroked 400 (377 cubic inches) putting out more than twice the power of the stock 305 so I knew I was asking for trouble from the outset. In hundreds of attempts I never did pull off a decent launch with that car or 1/4 mile pass for that matter. Any time I pushed it at all the rear end broke. And BTW, I broke the rear one time powershifting 1-2 after babying the launch. Not saying you will but just relaying my experience with the stock 10 bolt. Though a 12 bolt or 9" will cost you some power and add weight, it's the best mod you'll ever make if going to the track is your thing.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
My car is an A4 and I have never piloted a 4th gen M6 F-Body car down the track so I'm not one to give advice on how to pull off a decent launch with your car. I can tell you that your nerves will get better and better as you make more trips to the track to the point that it's no different than driving to the grocery store. I've heard that 4.10's weaken the stock 10 bolt to the point that you're sure to break it on a hard launch on MT's. If you're going for broke with that combo, go on a trailer. I do have experience with the stock rear but it was in a 3rd gen. Back in the day I had an 84 Z28 with a manual tranny and, of course, the crappy 7.5" 10 bolt w/3.73's. Never broke the tranny but broke 5 rear posi units. Engine was a 7000 RPM destroked 400 (377 cubic inches) putting out more than twice the power of the stock 305 so I knew I was asking for trouble from the outset. In hundreds of attempts I never did pull off a decent launch with that car or 1/4 mile pass for that matter. Any time I pushed it at all the rear end broke. And BTW, I broke the rear one time powershifting 1-2 after babying the launch. Not saying you will but just relaying my experience with the stock 10 bolt. Though a 12 bolt or 9" will cost you some power and add weight, it's the best mod you'll ever make if going to the track is your thing.
Thanks for the advice. I had a Strange 12 bolt in my old 99 SS, but I wasn't really happy with it. I will probably go with a 9" this time around if I break the 10 bolt. Your 3rd gen sounds like it was awesome- but I know from experience how frustrating it is to make the power but not be able to run the times. That was my experience in my 99- so this time, I am going to concentrate more on improving the driver, traction, suspension, and drivetrain before I go nuts on power mods.

What's the point in making the power if you can't put it to the ground?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Old Drag Racer

What's the point in making the power if you can't put it to the ground?
Absolutely. I finally figured that out and at least now I'm able to use what little bit of power I make. I actually wish my LS1 put down the power like my old 377 did. Well, it will one day. PM me or email me the next time you're heading to the track. I may be able to make a trek west to meet up with you at one of those tracks over there. I used to go to Roxboro and Brewer's in Rocky Mount frequently about 15 years ago before the local tracks opened up.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Those tires are goint to help alot next time for sure! your making good power for your mods!

Quick Reply: First trip to track