Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which bullet?
Borla XR1
18.70%
Dynomax
37.40%
Moroso Spiral Flow
8.94%
Flowmaster Outlaw
1.63%
Hedman
0%
Sweet Thunder
19.92%
Magnaflow
13.41%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Best sounding bullet: VOTE

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best sounding bullet: VOTE

Alright guys, here's the deal. I will be ditching the catback exhaust and running a bullet at the end of the ORY set behind a set of SLP LT headers. Right now I have a stock catback with an open dump and I get a lot of resonation. Do not tell me to buy a catback as I am doing this to save weight. I am looking to quiet it down over my current setup (open cutouts @ all times) and I will be running a different cam with this new exhaust setup (TRex) so it will still be fairly loud. Which is the best sounding/performing (still able to flow well) bullet?

VOTE
Old 07-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thinking of buying the Dynomax bullet to replace my LM resonator. But I am still unsure.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Didn't you just ask this two days ago but without a poll?

I voted dynomax bullet. Had one for six months. Liked it. You might find that a dumped bullet with the t-rex and no carpet is too loud for daily driving though.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:21 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see you got a poll.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

HeapaShifter yes, I did post this question but w/out a poll. I think I will get more responses with the poll (easier to vote than to reply) and I think orangeapeel was sad without a poll
I know it will be loud and that does not bother me. Noise is the least of my worries with the TRex, 4400 stall and 4.10s. I just want to get the rasp/resonation under control.

I asked a mod to close the last thread. Keep the votes coming.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magna flow FTW!!!

Great tone flows well.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Magna flow FTW!!!

Great tone flows well.

I am having a really hard time deciding between the dynomax and magnaflow.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onyxhawk
I am having a really hard time deciding between the dynomax and magnaflow.
They both sound alot alike, I found the Magna flow to be more tame when you want it to be and a bit more refined tone.

Still evil and wild when your WOT.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

What about the Borla XR1s? I was actually leaning that way before this poll started!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

We run the dynomax bullets on two cars. One is a Zo6 with a big cam, x pipe and no cats, Its tollerable when cruising and sounds like it will rip you apart at wot. The other is a full on race chevelle, again, not bad at idle, but nonexistant at wot. I tried to load a video but its too big. The dynomax are cheap enough to buy (35.00 each) and take off if you don't like them.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet thunder mufflers are awesome.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am running a spiral flow off each header , dumped, and it is not that loud at all. You could easily drive this everyday... and it sounds good. No rasp.

my cam size and ci are a lot larger than your's as well..
Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 AM
12 Second Club

Sweet thunders are freakin siick!!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

Keep the opinions coming! Right now it looks like I'm leaning towards Dynomax. However, sil3ntxws6's experience sounds pretty good too. What length are you all running?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both Borla XR1s, and Sweet thunders sound amazing. When I do my true duel setup im going with ether one.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

12inch.. 3.5 in , 3.5 out with a 4 inch core
Old 07-03-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again... SLP LM Resonator, you can't beat that flow and sound
Old 07-03-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Alright guys, here's the deal. I will be ditching the catback exhaust and running a bullet at the end of the ORY set behind a set of SLP LT headers. Right now I have a stock catback with an open dump and I get a lot of resonation. Do not tell me to buy a catback as I am doing this to save weight. I am looking to quiet it down over my current setup (open cutouts @ all times) and I will be running a different cam with this new exhaust setup (TRex) so it will still be fairly loud. Which is the best sounding/performing (still able to flow well) bullet?
Just buy a catback!!!!

the amount of weight saving will not be worth it unless you plan to strip your car. That means no air con, remove electrical goodies (stereo, windows, seats), ditch the interior and consider running perspex windows instead of glass and carbon fibre body panels.

A totally stripped out setup the weight saving will be a minor contribution. On a relatively full weight car it will have ZERO affect. You'd be better off just going to the toilet before driving the car.

As for which muffler????????????????????????

Come on, every one has their own opinion which is best, you'll just get six of one and half a dozen of the other in terms of responses.

And then it will only be what people have or have been told by others, totally regardless of whether it is best or not.

As for quieting it down.

A single bullet really isn't going to do much in terms of db reduction, also by dumping under the car the car itself will act like an acoustic guitar, so resonance and drone are still very likely.

Plus about 90% of bullet mufflers are built the same. Serrated core with metal packing in a stainless steel body. And because of this 99% of bullets will all sound pretty much the same. With comparable flow rates.

The smaller the muffler diameter the less packing, which means less muffling and louder.

Chambered mufflers will sound different. Such as Flowmaster 10 Series, Powerstick or Stainless Works chambered mufflers. All flow great and sound great.

The Magnaflow bullet is pretty decent and from Ebay is also very cheap. Borla XR-1 is more expensive and really offers little over the Magnaflow for your setup. The Borla is available with a 3.5" core which would be worth while if you plan to run a 3.5" Y pipe.

In fact, where are you planning on putting the bullet muffler? I assume you already have a new Y pipe? Is it ORY or catted and is it 3" diameter?

BTW - A Sweet Thunder muffler isn't a bullet but a chambered one, these also "neack down" so odon't flow as well as some of the others. The Powersticks and Stainless Works Chambered mufflers are the same thing but should out flow the Sweet Thunder.

If it where me I'd seriously look at TSP's dual exhaust for your setup, unless you plan on runing a body mounted torque arm that is. If you do then a custom set of duals would be required. But if you plan on dumping before the axle it really wouldn't be a difficult or expensive setup to have made.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Ive tried most of them and the XR-1 was the best sound for me.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

300bhp/ton, my car is on a diet larger than just losing the exhaust. Carpet is gone, catback is next, Kirkey's up front, fiberglass hood, prostars, lightweight battery in the rear, tubular k-member and once a cage goes in I'll be ditching the airbags and front and rear bumper supports. Everything starts to add up.

What would your opinion be on me running my Flowmaster muffler at the end of my SLP ORY? When I said I wanted to quiet it down I only meant the resonation/rasp sound. It can scream all day long, but there is almost a metallic rasp from 2-4k. I know that it will be loud being dumped under the car, becuase it is dumped under the car right now. I have the SLP LTs, ORY and the stock catback. However, there is a Flowtech exhaust cutout that I run open underneath the back passenger seat. I tried to close it up but the rasp was MUCH more noticeable because the deep sound had been quieted down.

Quick Reply: Best sounding bullet: VOTE