Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LTs and tune really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTs and tune really worth it?

I'm thinking about getting the LTs.

I'm still debating on whether or not it's worth the time/money. The Pacesetters are going to set me back $500 and the local shop wants $500 put it on the dyno and tune it. Not to mention plugs, gaskets and wires another roughly $100.

Add in the fact I will spend probably a whole weekend crawling around under the car yelling and slinging tools all over the garage.

For those of you that have been here before...are you glad you did or did'nt do it?

I'm guessing with the tune and LTs I should pick up 20-30rwhp...I can't decide if that's worth the time/money/effort.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:47 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT's are still the best bang/buck for LS1 cars (next to nitrous). You'll be happy you did it when it's done. You also don't HAVE to have it dyno-tuned after the install either. I put mine in with TD's and drove it for a year before putting the cam in and having it tuned.

It's a cake install if you've got any mechanical skills too, especially if you've got some buddies.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

i went from 311 to 331 horses, and from 319 to 345 tq. I had the tq management removed, shift points adjusted and firmed. The car went from good to great. i fell in love with it all over again. I say tune it. Plus, you might be running lean, if you do for too long you could have problems.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would definately say the LT's are worth the money. I messed up and went with SLP's. Performance wise they are fine, but the clearance is horrid.

And who says you have to go with a full tune right now? Slap the LT's on and if you go with an ORY, just have the code for the rear O2's deleted and then later on down the road, have it tuned.

I dont think you'll regret putting LT's on your car though.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Just put mine on a couple weeks ago---should have done it years ago-
Old 07-05-2006, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

You definatly wont be disappointed with LTs. The sound, performance, underhood look. You'll ask yourself what took you so long to do them. And like it was stated above, you dont need a dyno tune right out of the box. A "regular" tune will suffice until you make it to the dyno or you start with a heads or cam package. Then you'll want to definatly dyno it. Enjoy
Old 07-05-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

i would check around for a better price on a tune,you shouldn't need alot done to it tune wise .but yes,you will be happy once they are on.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Resident

i would do a tune as your very last mod if i were you. if LT's are going to be your last mod, get it tuned. if you plan on a cam, heads, a stall/shift kit (if you're an A4 like me), etc...i'd wait on the tune. the stock tune can handle LT's enough to run okay. you'll just be leaving power/mpg on the table without a dyno tune.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Transamabe, yes, I was going to have Jeremy tune the car at revextreme.

Chocotaco, I think this will be it. When I bought this car I swore up and down I would leave it alone (I've sort of stuck to that). Definitely nothing as radical as heads/cam. Maybe some 4.10s down the road.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Do it its worth it.....................................
Old 07-05-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its never it as far as mods go. There's always something out there that will catch your eye and you'll have to have. Good thing is, most places don't charge full price for the retune. You pay 500 the first time and its usually 75-100 for the retune, or something to that effect.

Get the headers though, you'll love em.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Has anyone compared interior db before and after? Just curious; my current interior db at freeway speed (70-75 mph) is 85db with only a FM catback. I'm planning a H/C, along with the LTs, but the LTs will go on first.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Hell yeah definantly worth it, i never touched my engine until i got Pacesetters and it was a blast to get in there and put those bad boys on. Also its a great sound to hear them wide open headers , i got mine tuned right after the install but i had a LS6 oil pump and all the free mods done to it along with them putting taylor 10.5mm wires on with the tune helped. cant wait to do a cam install to see how much fun that will be lol.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Its worth it but I ran very lean after install. If I were you get the tune done and gain even more power then just putting the headers on. I believe since my leaning out it caused the problems I'm having now. Just my .02...

by the way I think you have an SLP LM cat-back judging by your pic. If it is the LM system, you will be loudered then those offshore boats that rip threw FL (its and awesome sound) but not kind on the feds.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Hell yeah! I put LT Headers and tuned 2 of my cars so far and loved it both times so I say dont even think about it just do it and spend a little extra money and get the 1 3/4s from QTP if you are just going for a bolt on car and if in the future you are going for more cubes and or H/C package get the 1 7/8s from kooks both of these are stainless and are top quality.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike2000Z28
by the way I think you have an SLP LM cat-back judging by your pic. If it is the LM system, you will be loudered then those offshore boats that rip threw FL (its and awesome sound) but not kind on the feds.
Mike, that is the stock dual-dual.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Traitor
Mike, that is the stock dual-dual.

Thanks guys.
The dual/dual is going to sound incredibly nice with LT's and ORY. Not very loud, but a very nice tone.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Traitor
Transamabe, yes, I was going to have Jeremy tune the car at revextreme.

Chocotaco, I think this will be it. When I bought this car I swore up and down I would leave it alone (I've sort of stuck to that). Definitely nothing as radical as heads/cam. Maybe some 4.10s down the road.

Thanks guys.
i'm with you. i won't be touching internals til i'm all out of college and have a real job and another car. then this will be my toy. i'll put a stall, shift kit, cam, things of that nature in later down the road when i don't need it to be 100% reliable. for now it's just headers, ram air, ported tb, exhaust...things of that nature.

for TheBlur's sake, may i recommend a catted-y?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
for TheBlur's sake, may i recommend a catted-y?

He's got a dual/dual, no cats needed........ I think.....
Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The dual/dual is going to sound incredibly nice with LT's and ORY. Not very loud, but a very nice tone.
That's kind of what I was hoping. I have'nt ran into nayone aorund here with that setup, but ls1sounds had a couple clips and it sounds ok. Like you said, I like the tone of DD, but it's just not loud enough...the LTs/ORY should turn it up a bit.

Choco...sorry, no emmisions here and I like I said before, I think this setup will sound ok, cats would decrease the volume which I don't want at this point.