Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Need To Beat 01 Cobra W/kb

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need To Beat 01 Cobra W/kb

OK, I have a 99 Z Vert A4with only lid and LM2 cat-back, and a recently added NX 150 wet shot with FJO controller. I recently ran my brother's 99 GT with a procharger and took it. However ther is another guy we work with who will be the next threat (the 3 of us are very competitive, until my N2O I didn't have a chance.) He has an 01 cobra vert and I just got this e-mail from him at work :::
no, its an 01, its the teeny, tiny baby kb, 1.7 liter displacement,
slightly bigger than the eaton on the 03, way more efficient than an eaton
on the 03.....my car prolly runs like a stock 03 would, maybe a little
better.

The KB 2003 Cobras are a force to be reckoned with, but I'm not one of
them////,,,,,

Little tricks.???
I'm not sure I know what you mean..........drag radials, yes, aftermarket
shifter, yes, line locks, yes, new posi, solid axle, gears, yes,
supercharger, yes,, race gas, probably.....

Anyways, I really do not want to lose this race (especially as I am the only ls1 out of 2 stang's!) I ran a 12.78@113.3 sunday and I'm not sure if that will be enough. I had the FJO programmed from 3000-5800 but slowly ramping from 25% to 100%. I will definitely program atarting at about 50% and ramping up more aggressively, any other ideas? I am running fuzion ZRi street tires, which have hooked very well, but my 60ft was 2.122.

Please help me defend the LS1 against these 4.6's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are my chances and any ideas for me? I don't have the funds for DR's before we race.......
Old 07-05-2006, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

01 = aluminum block and higher rpm's
03 = iron block

if he's got a pulley and a tune, he could be low balling on what he is telling you.

I see he changed out the the IRS for solid axle. that cobra is goinng to be Nasty!

Good Luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be running way faster than high 12s with a 150 shot and an auto car. I hate to say it but its going to be very hard with street tires to win that race. With some drs you would smoke him. And you could go 100% with that juice. Good luck
Old 07-05-2006, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

There's no reason to go with a progressive shot on a pretty much stock ls1. Hit that **** all out off the line. With a tire spraying off the line you should almost be a full second quicker.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Teching In

haha all im sayin is just be careful man! run what cha brung!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the controller off. When I had the stock motor/trans and 3400 stall I posted 11.75 on a 125 shot
Old 07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. We were e-mailing back and forth today at work, Here is what he said:::

My cobra has a funky litle blip in the tune, and before I put it all on the
line, I want Mike to give it the once over. He can't get me in until the
13th, so our little match up will have to wait.

My blip is probably in the relay that activates the Kenne Bell boost a
pump. That KB thing is supposed to trick the mustang fuel pump to work
overtime, but with mine, I get about 1 second of ZERO fuel pressure, and a
big motor bog, so it needs looked at...

I probably should have taken care of it sooner, but even with it I could
take out an LS1 that wasn't whiffing the N20, but now I guess I need it
fixed.
Only mod there that adds power is the supercharger...

13 .0xxxxxxx at 106 107

OK, maybe 12.80s I didnt have a clean run last year, I would either bog
because of the glitch in the tune, or timing was getting pulled by the
computer because I was knocking (detonation) either from too much heat, or
too little octane....
That really doesn't affect the mph a whole lot though...

I know he will change pulleys, or do something while he is getting his tune, He's just like that, and I really do think he has stock exhaust. He dosen't know I am going to take the progression off of my FJO and have a full bottle (my last runs were about 1/2 bottle, no idea of the pressure because they forgot to put the gauge on!))
I think I can take him, but we'll have to wait until sunday the 16th to see.

FYI... I did dyno at 361 with the 150 jets, but that was with the FJO progressing... and on a mustang dyno.. they said a dynojet typically shows 15% more, which would have put me at 415rwhp. The place I had the kit put in is not really a GM friendly place, but there isn't one in town, and they have the best rep for mods. They really like stangs, their big project is a v6 stang turbo'd that runs mid 11's and has about 455 rwhp.....
Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
Turn the controller off. When I had the stock motor/trans and 3400 stall I posted 11.75 on a 125 shot
only im a 3800 stall with a cam an put down 11.11 on a 150ish shot.....put a button you can control that bitch on turn off the tcs and show him some tail lights

but then again he could be lowballing you like said before but grt rid of that progressive stuff now
Old 07-07-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rick99HuggerZvert
FYI... I did dyno at 361 with the 150 jets, but that was with the FJO progressing... and on a mustang dyno.. they said a dynojet typically shows 15% more, which would have put me at 415rwhp. The place I had the kit put in is not really a GM friendly place, but there isn't one in town, and they have the best rep for mods. They really like stangs, their big project is a v6 stang turbo'd that runs mid 11's and has about 455 rwhp.....
361 with 150 jets?? WTF??? What were the jet sizes? That is way low.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

If you only dyno'd 361 your shot never progressed to 100%. Those numbers look like a stock ls1 on a 50 shot. You're down about 100wrhp.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rubber duck
If you only dyno'd 361 your shot never progressed to 100%. Those numbers look like a stock ls1 on a 50 shot. You're down about 100wrhp.
I only have the sheets for 2. they did one with the 100 shot, which hit 313RWHP and the 150 shot hit 361RWHP. that was at about 5300RPM. I'm not sure but that might have been only 80-90% shot with the progression. I'm not happy about the minimal amount of work they put into tuning or doing anything really. But they did do a nice install and at least said they really liked the FJO...... but hey......... they're mustang guys..............
Again being a mustang dyno, they sat people always complain about their low #'s on the dyno, and that dynojets put up about a 15% higher number, but they claim the mustang dyno loads the wheels and gives for a better tune.
I just can't wait to race next sunday. I'll definitely post the results!

By the way, it's a 01 cobra with a 03 Mach1 motor and hte small KB on it.

:quote: 361 with 150 jets?? WTF??? What were the jet sizes? That is way low.
I remember that the N20 jet in the shark was .62???
the AFR on the 361RWHP pull was 14.7 listed on the dyno? but honestly I'm not sure what that means... they said they left it running a little rich to be safe......
Old 07-10-2006, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

i don't doubt that they did a nice install. You have to be trying to mess up a nitrous install to do it wrong. If you want all your money's worth on the nitrous i'd ditch the smart box and spray it like you've never sprayed before and let us know how the race goes.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Default I'm A BUM

I hate when people post "what if, or what do I need" posts like this, then don't post the result...... today I was looking at my old posts and found this one with no end result...... I AM SORRY FOR BEING A BUM!!!

Well, I think it was a month later when we finally both could make it to the track...... no excuse for why I didn't post the result... but I must have forgot about the post.

We went to Thompson speedway and got one run against eachother. I don't have teh timeslip handy, it's at home, but I know I ran a 12.74 @??? and he ran a 12.71 @???

I'm not exactly sure of the times, but his time was like .03 better than mine........ but my RT was .2 better than his and after the run... which I got the white slip... he came up to me and said.... "well looks like you won"

I thought by our "rules" he won, but I guess our "rules" do go by RT.
(rules among our few friends that all run together)

He also did methanaol injection before we ran...... I thought I was toast, but fortunately... he can't drive!!! (I admit, his car is faster, the shop owner who does his work ran in the high 11's with the car)

We are going to run again soon this year, I don't think his driving has improved... so hopefully I can hold him off again.

He hasn't changed his car, I have only adjusted my FJO to 100% spray on the 150 shot from 3000 to 5850rpm, and gotten a bottle warmer. No DR's or stall or anything I really need yet.

I did have one great run last year which was 12.53@114.8, but my average run is around 12.7ish. I hope the bottle warmer (I ran mostly at 900psi last year, or whatever the sun would heat the bottle to!) will help, and I will try to launch a little harder, and cut my 60ft down some. I don't know how far I can go on street tires though.

Again, Sorry about being like a year late on the results... but hey......... better late than never right?!?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

i cant believe you havent stalled yet
Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club

Holeshot ???!!!

You're running a 12.5-12.7 with a 150 shot? Ar you in the PA mountains?Definitely throw the box away and spray right off the hit. Stall that thing and get some DRs.

Last edited by 04Terminator; 06-13-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Holeshot ???!

You're running a 12.5-12.7 with a 150 shot? Ar you in the PA mountains?Definitely throw the box away and spray right off the hit. Stall that thing and get some DRs.
Hole shot? around 2.1 on average. Fuzion zri street tires....

The box is basically a window switch at this point. it's set at 100% spray from 3000 to 5800 rpm.

We aren't in the mountains, about 1500 ft, but right by Lake Erie, so the humidity gets pretty bad here. Stall and DR's are in the plans, but I want to have enough $ to buy them, and have enough in reserve for a new rear end because I think that will probably be needed pretty quickly after I start really launching!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Ar you in the PA mountains?
What's wrong with the PA mountains ? Beautiful scenery and not as much inbreeding as some of those down south states .
Old 06-13-2007, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

Hole shot? around 2.1 on average. Fuzion zri street tires....

The box is basically a window switch at this point. it's set at 100% spray from 3000 to 5800 rpm.

We aren't in the mountains, about 1500 ft, but right by Lake Erie, so the humidity gets pretty bad here. Stall and DR's are in the plans, but I want to have enough $ to buy them, and have enough in reserve for a new rear end because I think that will probably be needed pretty quickly after I start really launching!
Good point.

You won with a hole shot...chopped the tree down on him...YOU STARTED BEFORE HE DID!

91 LS1 Z28
What's wrong with the PA mountains ? Beautiful scenery and not as much inbreeding as some of those down south states .
Nothing wrong. Coudersport is really pretty. Went to a "gentleman's club" there one time... 10 girls, 26 teeth and 9 **** between them. The Poconos are pretty. Spent alot of time in the Philly area myself. Half my family is from NC and the other half from WV...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Went to a "gentleman's club" there one time... 10 girls, 26 teeth and 9 **** between them.
Damn, I would hate to see the one on your lap, glad I wasn't there. I couldn't enough to deal with those " birth defects ".
Old 06-13-2007, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91 LS1 Z28
Damn, I would hate to see the one on your lap, glad I wasn't there. I couldn't enough to deal with those " birth defects ".
The one on my lap wasn't too bad, other than the coke-bottle glasses she was wearing made her eyes so big she looked like an ostridge. But I wasn't looking at her face too much.