Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tiedown Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tiedown Suggestions?

I'm going to be going to the strip for my first time on July 21st and 22nd. My car will pass tech expect for the fact my battery isn't tied down, I don't have any experience really at the track so I was wondering what the best method to strap it down would be... it doesn't move at all but obviously I won't pass tech unless it's strapped down. Any suggestions or just buy a tie down and bolt it in?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

If it's in the rear of the car it has to be in a metal enclosed box and sealed. Since you have a hatch and not a trunk you can't use a plastic box. The box has to be either bolted or welded to car. And since it's in the rear of the car NHRA states a kill switch is mandatory. However if it's just for test and tune I don't think they'll check it. So you could probably sneak by. But that's up to you if you want to take a gamble. -Mark
Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, my car is all stock at the moment so the battery is in the engine bay, not relocated and probably won't be. But I guess it needs to be tied down in some form. I'm going to be racing two nights, the first night is going to be mainly Domestic vs. Import so I will be facing some lightly modified ricers mainly, and the next night is the highschool drag night. I'm running the first night all stock just to see what kind of numbers I get, then I'm going to throw on my SLP Lid I'm ordering and see if there is a difference.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an oddesy PC680 mini battery tied down with 2 large hose clamps connected together as one. I just looped it underneath my overflow tank. Pimp.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:45 AM
9 Second Club

You could bend up a piece of Home Depot aluminum stock and secure the lower part with the battery hold down bolt, bend the bar up and over the bettery and secure the other part with one of the headlamp bolts.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Restricted User

Is it a stock battery? If so, just use the stock hold down, which should pass tech. If not, then ditto on the home depot Aluminum flat stock, just make sure to use a min. of 1" wide. I used the thinner (think its 1/8" thick) 1.25" wide AL stock, bent into shape, drilled the stock hold down bolt hole, and then drilled another hole to bolt into where the headlight bolt goes so there was no drilling of the car itself. Good luck.

Charlie
Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

^^^^ what he said. If it's in the factory spot with the factory battery tray it's fine. I don't think tech can argue since it's stil OEM equipment. Let it rip! Whip some import ***! -Mark
Old 07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, will definitley smoke some imports... will post up results along with some pics and video once we do it :-).