Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help before my header install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help before my header install...

I just got my headers in the mail. They look great and can't wait to put them on but i need a little advice first. In the box i got: Pair of headers, ORY, gaskets, bolts, "o2 extensions", block off plates for egr.

1. The gaskets i got is paper. Should i use the paper gaskets, reuse the stock gaskets, get a new set of gaskets?

2. I don't know if i like the idea of splicing the o2 wires. Should i opt for the direct plug in extensions?

3. If i'm getting my car tuned do i need o2 sims?

4. Any other tips you have for me i'd like to hear them. I'd like to get this done right the first time.

Here is pic of the headers
Attached Thumbnails A little help before my header install...-07_05_06_1538-2.jpg  
Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) No, some have had success with the paper gaskets, but I would either reuse your stock ones, or get new stock ones. They're not that expensive at all.

2) IMO, get the extensions, well worth the extra 50 bucks or so. Saves a good bit of anguish if splicing doesn't go as planned. Plus if that were the case, you'd be out 2 O2 sensors as well.

3) If you get the rear 02 sensors tuned out, NO you do not need 02 sims.

4) Get the car as high as possible, and soak the stock bolts for the manifolds and y-pipe the night BEFORE with PB Blaster or the like. It'll loosen everything up overnight and make the job much easier. We did my friend's car in 3hrs, including removal and install. Good luck on the install!

-J
Old 07-05-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Its a real easy thing to do as long as you have basic hand tool knowledge and a jackstands if you dont have access to a lift. Dont use the paper gaskets they will burn up and break apart in no time causing an exhaust leak, get some MLS ones from Thunderracing or Gm Dealership. You can splice the wires together not hard just make sure to hook the right brown wires up best to do them one at a time, and one main problem i had when removing the old manifolds is the damn Y pipe has that stupid triangle shape connector. I had to cut the stock Y pipe to get that **** out but i think it was mainly b/c i had to use jackstands, also be sure to tighten the bolts down tight then take her out for a spin and then let her cool down then tighten the bolts more.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Also you can get premade extensions that just plug in from thunderracing also.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Does anyone know the size of extension i'll need for the front o2 sensors? Speed Inc offers 12 and 24 inch?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Bump
Old 07-06-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

i think some headers the 02s are on the inside and some the outside.i'd just get the 24 " and zip tie the extra up out of the way.don't get 02 sims,just have them tuned out.