Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleted PCV pics...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Deleted PCV pics...

I did the autozone breather system. bought a 4$ oil cap, 11$ breather filter, and a small $10 breather that i put on the driverside cover. Then i bought some caps to put over the fitting on the valve cover and the t-body. I think its working okay as of now. Haven't really noticed and differences in oil consumption being i put it on yesterday. I will keep you all informed though. I really hope this takes care of smoking and oil consumption issues...

I drilled a 1" hole in the oil cap, and pressed the filter in...it fit in very tight. I had to gring a little off the filter to get it to work.

here is a pic of the small one on the driversdie tube that is behind the intake, and you can also see the breather on the passenger valve cover..

Tell me what you think...
Old 07-05-2006, 11:00 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn you and your good idea!

I tried every damn breather filter from 3 stores and couldn't make one work! Never thought about buying a new cap and drilling it! I ended up breaking down and ordering the $50 Metco from thunder lol.

That filter on the filler neck should be plenty, I'd just block the rest off.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

I ran a 3/8 hose from valve cover to valve cover in the back and then got a edelbrock breather to work on my oil filler neck screwed right in, everything works great and no more vaccum leak.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Launching!

i like it thats what im going to do when i put my car back together thanks for the idea
Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Banned

That looks good man !
Old 07-06-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

sweet,take some more pics,im gonna do this!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will try to snap a few better pics. I cant find my digital camera, so these are my camera phone pics. I will try to dig up the camera tonight and snap a couple more.
The $4 autozone cap has just enough room to drill the 1" hole for the breather. It took all of 10 minutes to make, and another 10 to remove the old psv system and install the new.
I put that breather on the driver valve cover to make sure i have enough available ventilation. I figured it couldnt hurt.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Trunion King

Is the brake booster line connected to PCV line? I'm going to go ahead delete my PCV too and do this breather filter stuff.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bene
Is the brake booster line connected to PCV line? I'm going to go ahead delete my PCV too and do this breather filter stuff.
nope, brake booster is on the back of the intake manifold.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Trunion King

Did you have any side effects with !PCV? Like smelling the oil fumes thru A/C vents? I'm asking this because my Z is my DD, and I have a wife/kids that will whine about every little thing.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt notice any difference in the car. With the hood open you can smell it.

I did a wide open pass 40-120 today, i did still notice some smoke, but i dont think it was as bad as before. I need to save for a tune bad, but i think i may run a compression test on it this weekend. I still dont think its the way it should be... No loss in power AT ALL, just a little smoky. No matter what the compression turns out to be, im not doing anything but driving it the exact way i do now, if it blows it blows.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:24 PM
That's what she said...

As long as you keep the a/c on re-circulate (max), you won't smell anything.

I have had no side effects of doing this. It will decrease your oil life, but as long as you stay with with the 3k mile interval that most people do you'll be fine. My car has so much blowby that the PCV and fresh air tube were'nt able to evacuate the gasses fast enough. This caused a pressure buildup in my crankcase causing my car to blow oil out of the front seal.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
As long as you keep the a/c on re-circulate (max), you won't smell anything.

I have had no side effects of doing this. It will decrease your oil life, but as long as you stay with with the 3k mile interval that most people do you'll be fine. My car has so much blowby that the PCV and fresh air tube were'nt able to evacuate the gasses fast enough. This caused a pressure buildup in my crankcase causing my car to blow oil out of the front seal.
Im not blowing any oil out of the seals...yet, but this is really pissing me off. The car has 69,000 miles on it. I know its not the excess oil in the intake from before the pcv delete, but it would be nice if it was. Hopefully this car just hangs in there, and i hope i get some decent reading form teh compression test. I almost dont even want to do incase a cyinder is extremely low
Old 07-06-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So whats the verdict on deleting the PCV system in favor of a breather? Some people were saying that its important to hold all the seals in the motor tight, any truth to that? Any negative long term consequences? Increased wear?

If not I will definetely be doing this very soon.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:36 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Luna
So whats the verdict on deleting the PCV system in favor of a breather? Some people were saying that its important to hold all the seals in the motor tight, any truth to that? Any negative long term consequences? Increased wear?

If not I will definetely be doing this very soon.
If your motor is low-mileage, I'd say stick with a catchcan. If it's an old **** like mine, I say let her breathe deep before she dies.

If your car has so little blowby, that there is actually a pressure in the crankcase LESS THAN atmospheric using a PCV system, it will help the seals. If it has a lot to where there is more than atmospheric, it will try and blow oil out.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ya I probably have alot of blowby since my breather drips oil... damn high mileage engine.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:57 PM
That's what she said...

It all depends on the mounting location to determine if it drips or not. My metco is mounted up high like the 3rd picture from the top, it's actually a bit higher.

You want the oil mist to condense as much as possible before it hits the filter. They sell little rubber flappers that help cutdown on oil dripping out too. These go inside the bottom of the breather.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like it allot. looks sweet, good thinking.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres my setup. The only tubing I have coming from my Valve Covers is the on to the TB which I might ditch, I have a catchcan coming from the LS6 valley cover to the intake too.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ya my K/N breather on the passenger side is real low that's probably why it tends to drip a bit after its been running for a while.