Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Opinion On STS??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Opinion On STS??????

Hey Guys, I Am Now Getting Ready For Forced Induction But I Am Kind Of New With Forced Induction. I Wanna Go Turbo And I Have Only Slp Intake Lid, Hooker Lt's,ory Pipe, 3.73 Gears, And Bear Calipers. I Have Looked Into The Sts Set Up Because Of Price And Simplicity Of The Intallation That I Will Be Doing Myself. Any Replies And Suggestions Are Apreciated Thanx.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

search is your friend. he lives on the top of every page and he loves you, so love him back.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FastazfukWS6
Hey Guys, I Am Now Getting Ready For Forced Induction But I Am Kind Of New With Forced Induction. I Wanna Go Turbo And I Have Only Slp Intake Lid, Hooker Lt's,ory Pipe, 3.73 Gears, And Bear Calipers. I Have Looked Into The Sts Set Up Because Of Price And Simplicity Of The Intallation That I Will Be Doing Myself. Any Replies And Suggestions Are Apreciated Thanx.
Well to tell you the truth, I saw an STS turboed car the other day and was very impressed with it. I went procharger myself and am hopefully getting it tommorow . Don't rule out the STS turbos though cause they have ***** as well. Front mount turbo is also an option, but is going to take a toll on the wallet of yours . I am a beginner at boost, but I do know its NOT CHEAP. Hopefully someone will come on in, and help you out. Goodluck with the build and keep us posted.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if your car is going to be a daily driver, you will love the STS, the car drives like normal until you step into it, then i comes alive. Forced intuction is not cheap, even an STS kit after fuel upgrades and injectors you will be around 6k. the installation is straight forward - takes about 1-2 days to install then it will need tuning. most cars with 5psi make about 430 rwhp and it is upgradable later to 8psi will will put you closer to 500rwhp. if your car is lowered it will be a problem, air charge pipe in front of lt rear is very low. my car is not lowered and i have not dragged yet, knock on wood.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

I would have you read the threads from Zombie and myself. Lots of good info...but to give you cliff notes....I hope your LTs and ORY pipe are jet hot coated. If not, get them coated inside and out.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Teching In

MY CAR HAS BEEN DROP WITH THE 1.5" EIBACH PRO KIT AND I LIVE IN MIAMI, FL I DONT KNOW MANY PLACES THAT CAN DO A GOODTUNE AND I KNOW NONE THAT CAN JET HOT COAT IT THE PIPES. THE HOOKER LT's ARE CERAMIC AND THE Y PIPE WAS PURCHASES FROM TEXAS SPEED (NOT SURE IF THEY ARE JET HOT COATED AND YES MY CAR WILL BE DAILY DRIVEN.

THANX AGAIN GUYS
Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

MY CAR HAS BEEN DROP WITH THE 1.5" EIBACH PRO KIT AND I LIVE IN MIAMI, FL I DONT KNOW MANY PLACES THAT CAN DO A GOODTUNE AND I KNOW NONE THAT CAN JET HOT COAT IT THE PIPES. THE HOOKER LT's ARE CERAMIC AND THE Y PIPE WAS PURCHASES FROM TEXAS SPEED (NOT SURE IF THEY ARE JET HOT COATED AND YES MY CAR WILL BE DAILY DRIVEN.

THANX AGAIN GUYS
My $0.02 is I wouldnt add the STS kit unless you raise the car back up to stock height. You'll have no gorund clearance otherwise! Tune and coating can be done mail-order.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

the part of the STS that hangs low.. is it in the front part or rear of the car. I've seen many photos from compnaies tucking up the STS kit so nothing of the kit is the lowest part of the car giving you the same clearance you had before the kit...

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-06-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have personal experience of two sts cars. One guy I know with sts lt1. I drove it and we raced his car with no other mods against my 96z28 in sig but no spray on the 96z28 ,cam is still stock in there also. He beat me every time by a decent margin and even though I got him off the line he ran me down and blew by.

He had 95 z28 vert also. 3.23 gears no other mods. He did blow his engine by accident mistake with his greddy boost controller..hit 12 psi for a bit on stock engine.
He rebuild engine with forged pistons only .He badly needs fuel pump and 42 injectors sts kind of lied if they said you don't need that stuff. He had lots of knock on premium on stock fuel system and was running out of fuel it looked like at only 5psi.

Another car in our local club just got into an sts ls1 setup. He is bone stock also with 3.73 gears not the best maybe for turbo his car is a six speed. I have not had a chance to get a ride in it but expect it to be very fast even at 5psi.

The sts systems work well .I almost bought one for my own 99 ta. But I don't like the exhaust pipe.Ground clearance is not good guy with stock height ls1 is having issues all the time back and front.Our roads are garbage here though. There can be some issues with subframe connectors and I just wanted a twin turbo setup in my 99.
I already have a wicked single turbo setup in my 97 talon.

So thumbs up on sts.I don't like the price of them though and you still need extras like fuel pump,injectors,blow off if you are manual car,intercooler or meth if you want to run more than 5psi or so.
But anyone that still says they don't work has never been in one or lost to one racing.

They sound great too.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Teching In

thanx i will probably go with the sts system from what i have heard. i dont want to raise the car back because it looks so sick drop so if i can get a little more info on the tucking in of the system that would be great. and any other recomendation for the self install portion of this project and anything i might run into while im doing the install would be very helpful.

thanx again
Old 07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the clearance issue is the charge pipe that runs under the lt rear lower control arm. you have to have enough clearance so the control arm can move up and down with the axle, or it will hit the charge pipe and blow it apart. i tucked the turbo high as the axle but i have to get tubular lower control arms so i will get a little more clearance and i can tuck to charge pipe in front of the lt wheel up higher, i have about 2.5 inches in that area right now and my car is stock height. dont worry about the turbo, there is ample room under the turbo, its the lt side air charge pipe you will have to address with the lowered car.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My clearance believe it or not is the 48mm turbosmart progate, kinda sticks out toward the *** end at like a 75º angle toward the back, facing the left tire. Loading it on the tow truck the couple times, it would barely touch the ground. I wouldn't put it on a lowered car, I can tell ya that much. Personally, I never hit anything *knock on wood*, but wouldn't chance it with Eibachs. I LOVE my turbo car, and can't wait to get the new motor built, so I can get it on the road again!!!