Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gmr Twin turbo or STS rear mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gmr Twin turbo or STS rear mount?

This is a completely hypothetical situation. I am looking for the turbo upgrade as in my previous posts. I am looking for some opinions though as to what you guys think would be better suited for my needs. I have the ambition of making a lot of power and torque. Really impressive numbers. But my car is not a daily driver. I only drive it once every other week, if that. I mostly take it to shows and i have the the future aspiration of taking it to the drag strip just to see what it would do and maybe get it dynoed at a car show. I am looking for the WOW factor. More show than go, but still a lot of go. So having said that, which turbo system do you think would be for me?
I hear the sts is good for a daily driver which would lead me to believe that its more suitable for street driving. However, i am looking to make high amounts of power. Even as much as the 700+ rwhp that GMR made with their twin turbo setup. Granted i wouldn't be driving around town with that much, but like i said, i'll actually use it when i go to a track or get it dynoed. I mean when it comes to the WOW factor, seeing a rear mount turbo or twin turbo Camaro will both impress people i think. Most never heard of the rear mount, and at least in my area, i don't know of any rear mounts nor twin turbos.
at this point i am really 50/50. Both have their pluses and minuses.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

also, as far as the GMR kit, how street friendly do you guys think it would be at a low boost? I mean do you think it would be just as safe as the STS rear mount at low boost? And what do you guys think is better in terms of reliablity for the long run?
If i ever drive long distances on a highway,just wondering if one system would kill my engine quicker than the other.

FYI, i am taking all the necessary steps for making huge numbers safely. I am getting a new forged engine and trans and rear and all that other stuff.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW factor + big power potential + show potential = GMR twin turbo front mount. What's "WOW" about a rear mount anyway? You can't even see it much less show it. Not stepping on any toes here as I know the rear mounts are proven but twins is what this guy is looking for.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI I run the power levels in my sig at 16lbs of boost EVERY DAY. That's right, daily driver and NO issues. Even gets same as stock gas mileage.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Thats mpressive that you run that amount of boost for a daily driver and you still get good gas mileage. Is that dependent upon the tune? Also, you have the quarter mile time for your car? I'd assume 700+ rwhp is enough to get you into the high 9's or low 10s depending upon a few factors of your car. I guess what i meant about the WOW factor with the rear mount is that a lot of people aren't familiar with the system(at least people i mention it to) and to say that you got a turbo and you pop the hood and they don't see one and you tell them its in the back, I'd think thats kind of cool. But some wouldn't.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
WOW factor + big power potential + show potential = GMR twin turbo front mount. What's "WOW" about a rear mount anyway? You can't even see it much less show it. Not stepping on any toes here as I know the rear mounts are proven but twins is what this guy is looking for.
LOL, be nice ... these are a bit "showey" and they are twin!
And they were sold complete yesterday for less than the price than a nice Plasma TV.... well... a real nice plasma.

http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/almost%208.tif
Old 07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Showy is good. I guess on one hand, you can pop the hood and see a nice shiny twin turbo kit in the negine bay and awe at it, on the other, you can pop the hood and they can say, where is it? and it gives that mysterious feel and almost unbelievable sense that its in the rear.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

arent they only doing in house installs for their twin kit now?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

When you say in house, you mean physically having your car there for them to work on it? God i hope not, cause that shoots down a high hope of mine. I am hoping that if i get the engine long block and twin turbo package assembled together for the $16000.00, they will let me have it since its like building a complete setup, minus the installation of it in my engine bay. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Crossing my fingers here.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 16K is engine, fuel sys, turbo kit, etc installed and tuned I believe. The gas mileage would depend on staying out of boost most the time. It only goes into if you hammer your foot down anyway.

Quick Reply: Gmr Twin turbo or STS rear mount?