Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor help please

I had my SES light on, i checked it and it gave the code for the rear passenger side knock sensor. What does this do and where does it go anybody please.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackdrag on
I had my SES light on, i checked it and it gave the code for the rear passenger side knock sensor. What does this do and where does it go anybody please.
Ok now I havent done this myself so take it for what its worth. On 1998's the knock sensors are overly sensitive and in you're case, probably completely shot.

Knock sensors tell the computer if your engine is knocking (pinging) and if it is the PCM can back down timing to stop the pinging which results in a loss of power.

Even if it is just one knock sensor (I don't know how many there are) you should replace them all with the newer style (99 and up I believe) since they are all overly sensitive and will show FALSE knock. I think you need the sensor and an adapter harness since it is completely different.

EDIT: I believe the knock sensors are under the intake manifold, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

would that be on the outside of the ingine or the inside?? i would guess outside right?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

would that be on the outside of the ingine or the inside?? i would guess outside right?
Under the intake manifold, the black curvy thing connected to your throttle body.

Sorry I have a crappy explanaation
Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two black circles with the wires running out of them between the heads are the covers for the knock sensors. You have to remove the intake manifold to get to them.

I don't know why it would say "passenger side" though. Are you sure it didn't say "rear passenger side OXYGEN sensor" or O2 sensor?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmm? im gonna doulbe check just to make sure and if it is the knock sensors ill replace both, they are two arent they? and i might as well do an LS6 swapt while at it. Tahnks guys you helped alot.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm? im gonna doulbe check just to make sure and if it is the knock sensors ill replace both, they are two arent they? and i might as well do an LS6 swapt while at it. Tahnks guys you helped alot.
Yes, there are two knock sensors. Do a search for 98 knock sensors or something like that and you'll find some threads about updating.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Under the intake manifold, the black curvy thing connected to your throttle body.

Sorry I have a crappy explanaation