Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator not charging as well after H/C install

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alternator not charging as well after H/C install

Don't really know where to put this but I wanted the input of people that have done their own h/c installs. I recently did one (I've had 4 different cams in my car) and now my lights flicker at idle and my voltage gauge drops into the red. I've looked at every wire that might have been touched during the swap but I don't see anything abnormal. Is there anything in the charging system that could have been effected during a h/c install? Is it possible that maybe my belt is slipping or the crank pulley isn't on right? Or is it just a coincidence since my car has 107k miles and still on the stock alternator? Anyone want to help me out since my brain is fried?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a coincidence or possibly a bad ground. If you've gone over every wire it's probably just the safest bet to pick up an alternator from autozone and see if it fixes it. However, I'd probably say to check the connections at your battery, if they are loose or have corrosion it can cause problems like you're saying.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Could be a coincidence or possibly a bad ground. If you've gone over every wire it's probably just the safest bet to pick up an alternator from autozone and see if it fixes it. However, I'd probably say to check the connections at your battery, if they are loose or have corrosion it can cause problems like you're saying.
Battery connections look good and the battery is somewhat new even though it is a lightweight one. I'm trying to think if any wires that have anything to do w/ the charging system are removed for the install but I don't think any are.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno, sounds like a grounding issue. Are you sure the cables on the back of the head are grounded properly? Those are the only ones I can think of that you would be messing with for a H/C install.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I dunno, sounds like a grounding issue. Are you sure the cables on the back of the head are grounded properly? Those are the only ones I can think of that you would be messing with for a H/C install.
Yeah I'm sure. I triple checked those before I bolted the head down because I know those are common annoyances.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Mat
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say alternator checkup. Could always take yours off and bring it into a shop that car run some tests on it. That'll tell yah pretty quick what's up. Plus if you've done a ton of work on your car dropping an alternator ain't a big deal either.

That's what I'd do anyhow.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

get a new alternator and recheck all the ground wires and connections.good luck.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Check the "exciter wire" on the alternator. Its the small wire that plugs into the alternator. People tend to break these, or they tend to start breaking apart in the wire.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to let you know that I've had the same thing happen to me after a head install. I was driving in the rain about 1000 miles after the install and then all my electrical stuff cut off. I got a new alternator from AutoZone and now it's all good. I'm thinking since my splash guard near the alternator isn't on right that some water got up to where it's not supposed to go and shorted it out. I bet if you get a new alternator, you'll be just fine.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Yeah I'm sure. I triple checked those before I bolted the head down because I know those are common annoyances.

what H/C combo did you go with?