General LSX Automobile Discussion - How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Pages : [1] 2

FlashLCD33
07-07-2006, 06:31 PM
*EDIT*THIS IS NOT MY FIRST CAR THIS IS NOT MY FIRST CAR IM NOT LEARNING TO DRIVE IN THIS CAR THIS IS NOT MY FIRST CAR THIS IS NOT MY FIRST CAR

K well as the title states, im 17 looking to buy my first Fbody LS1 car. After riding in my friends 11 sec TA i was hooked. I started looking for one after that (a couple months ago) and have been seeding out the good and bad ones. Well I have basically found the perfect one for me. It is low miles, good shape, owned by an older couple, etc.

Well to my parents, they think I am wanting one just because my friends are getting them (one bought an LT1, another bought a V6 :judge: ). They also think I am just going to go out and get 100 tickets, tear the shit out of the car, and kill myself in it. Also they say I can't afford one and insurance will kill me. Yes, insurance is bad but not that bad ($120 a mo full coverage, good grade discount). Another big issue is gas mileage. My DD gets 8mpg driving good and kicks my ass filling up $10 a day to go to school and work.

What really breaks my balls is they were willing to let me buy a Dakota R/T for 4k more than the LS1 I want. For those of you that arent familiar it's a 5.9 truck. Well evidently that truck has magic skills that it gets better gas mileage than an LS1, and the fueleconomy.gov website is full of shit. My moms friend has a 5.9 ram that she claims gets 30mpg in town with her ''gas mileage chip'' *jet chip*, and my mom was all for letting me buy it.

So what advice do you guys have for me to convince them to let me get what I want? I will be paying for everything for it so I want something that I want to drive, not what they want. Every time i try to have a mature discussion with them they always have something that pops up so they leave. And another way they get out of a discussion is saying ''it's a sports car, its bad gas mileage." I must say I'm a very good driver for my age, I have no tickets and definatly don't speed during the day time. Thanks guys

nomadnate
07-07-2006, 06:43 PM
well first of all if it is your money buy it. but that may cause problems soooooo. if it is a m6 show them the gas milage rating on paper 18 in town 27 (or higher) hwy. remind them that it is your money and you need to be happy. print out insurance quotes for them to look at. have an agreement to a type of punishment if you get in trouble with it. you will run it hard on the street eventually and eventually get caught. (mine was for a burnout) make a list of reasons you want this more that other cars like a mustang, truck, ect. that is all i have. it is a hard sell though. good luck

BLCKBRD
07-07-2006, 06:43 PM
If you're paying for it all yourself and your own insurance, why do you need their permission? Just buy it and be responsible.

Optimus_Prime
07-07-2006, 06:47 PM
If you're paying for everything you can get whatever you want.

My dad thought that the ls1 F-bodies all looked like shit...then he saw the WS6. Now that's what i drive and i'm your age:)

If you do get it your parents will be totally anal about tickets and driving fast but after they see you taking amazing care of it they will start to trust you with it and who knows how things will end up...My dad rode with me when i did autocross :D Never thought that would happen.

I'm in Salina by the way

And i'm really bored

lalala siing a songi

Camaroz
07-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I must say I'm a very good driver for my ageBeing cocky will kick you in the nuts. that's all i have to say about that...

ChocoTaco369
07-07-2006, 08:10 PM
you're probably not gonna want to hear this, but i STRONGLY recommend you do not buy an LS1 for your first car. i suggest you buy a cheap, beater car to teach you how to drive. you say you're a pretty good driver for your age. bullshit. no 17 year old is a good driver. i don't care if you're the best track driver in the world either, you can very well suck on the street. there are far too many variables that you have to learn. your first car will likely get pinged, dinged, you're gonna scrape the rims on soooo many curbs, if you parallel park a lot, i'm sure your back bumper will see action...

f-bodies are one of the trickiest cars to drive. they have one of the biggest blind spots in the world (i have to make crazy angles to see when i make some left turns), they are a very strange shape with the super long nose and super short rear end, they have very poor weight distribution, and they are nearly impossible to drive in the snow and not the best in the rain either.

i think it's a poor decision to buy such a nice car as your first car. buy something that you don't mind if it gets dinged or scraped. then, once you're used to driving (and we're talking 1-2 years here), get something nice.

i'm so glad i bought a V6 f-body for my first car. i think i woulda got into a lot of trouble with an LS1 for my first car. it's hard to handle all that power when you've never been driving.

i strongly recommend you buy a V6 f-body as your first car and drive it for a year. it'll teach you all the tricks of driving/parking an f-body, but the car won't have power to break itself or you since mashing it at a standstill gets traction in 2 seconds. you won't have to worry about going sideways when you shift.

i hope you take my advice on this. get a V6 and learn how to drive before you make such a big leap. people that buy V8's with tons of power in their first car have a big possibility of getting into a bad wreck. you think you know how to drive but man, you just don't. no one is safe on the road, no one.

just for the record, my 2001 5.7L V8 firebird forumla is only $50 a year more to insure than my old 1995 3.4L V6 firebird, so the engine makes nearly no difference in insurance - and i live in NJ, home of the nation's highest insurance premiums and i turn 20 in 2 weeks so i'm a young'n.

mpe488
07-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Take your parents to test drive one. My dad let me buy one (well, we went 50/50) because I was responsible with my first car and I took good care of it despite the fact that I hated that peice of shit.

But he was almost as excited as I was when we went to a dealership and he test drove a modded M6 SS. I dunno exactly what it had done (other than lid, some kind of exhaust and stb), but it ran a good bit harder than my car. Tell them the manual cars can easily get 25+ highway miles, and anyhting is better than your current 8mpg.

Also, $120/ mo is piddles compared to what I pay with no points, a 3.0 discount, ABS discount, anti theft alarm discount, and multiple vehicle discount.... I pay $300+ liability only. God, I hate insurance compaines.

BiggCmass
07-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Dude, seriously buy a 93-97 LT1 with high miles for your first car and get used to it. ior even a <gasp> beater 5.0. Don't head straight out and buy an LS1, get used to driving a POS first cause, sorry to say, you'll probbaly fuck it up anyways. Everyone wrecks their first car...

98camaro1le
07-07-2006, 08:31 PM
i got my first ls1 when i was 16, after nine months in a volvo 240 wagon with 0 tickets. I convinced my parents to buy me one based on grades that i had to maintain. worked my ass off, got the car. as for insurance, have ur parents ensure u under one of their cars as ur DD and still have u insured on it. for instance, the insurance company thinks that my DD is a 2001 mazda tribute and that my mom drives the '98 Z.

98redM6
07-07-2006, 08:35 PM
well first of all if it is your money buy it. but that may cause problems soooooo. if it is a m6 show them the gas milage rating on paper 18 in town 27 (or higher) hwy. remind them that it is your money and you need to be happy. print out insurance quotes for them to look at. have an agreement to a type of punishment if you get in trouble with it. you will run it hard on the street eventually and eventually get caught. (mine was for a burnout) make a list of reasons you want this more that other cars like a mustang, truck, ect. that is all i have. it is a hard sell though. good luck

Right on. My brother had to sign a contract stating such things as

1) No drinking and driving or drinking for that matter (under 21).
2) Tickets will warrant a punishment.
3) He gets his girlfriend pregnant and he won't see his car ever again.

Things of that nature.

FlashLCD33
07-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Sorry when I said I'm a good driver for my age I meant like not doing 65 down a 30 like most teenagers seem to do, I didn't mean like autox/strip.

This isn't my first car, and not my first time driving. KS allows you to drive with a parent when you're 14, and I drove every day after I turned 14.

Yes I know winter would suck, that's why I have a 4wd beater to drive during the winter time. Plus Kansas winters are 2-3 snows and a lot of cold days. The car will be garaged. Im telling you guys, I'm not the kind to tear the shit out of stuff.

The problem with going out and buying it and telling the parents later, is I can't. I can't add the car to insurance by myself, can't get my own insurance, can't buy it <- all because I'm not 18. Also I don't have all of the cash saved up, so I need a cosigner on the loan.

I absolutely will not buy a V6 fbody. I have to have the sound, feel, and power of a V8 car. I'm not saying I wont slip up and get a ticket for doing something dumb, but those times are few and far between.

Their main arguement is that I WILL go out and get a ton of tickets. I think it's a pretty BS arguement, because you can speed and do burnouts and etc in any vehicle.

FlashLCD33
07-07-2006, 08:39 PM
i got my first ls1 when i was 16, after nine months in a volvo 240 wagon with 0 tickets. I convinced my parents to buy me one based on grades that i had to maintain. worked my ass off, got the car. as for insurance, have ur parents ensure u under one of their cars as ur DD and still have u insured on it. for instance, the insurance company thinks that my DD is a 2001 mazda tribute and that my mom drives the '98 Z.

The car will be insured under my mom as a pleasure vehicle, and I'll be primary driver on my 93 jeep ($30 a month)

I've offered to make a bargain like tickets are no car for a time period, etc etc. I have maintained good grades my whole life, and being a senior this year I plan on finishing it out that way.

I dont see what the big deal is, if I'm paying for everything I don't see how this really effects them. I think I'm getting the aftermath of my brother, who has been busted multiple times doing... things... and has had multiple tickets and wrecks.

motoo344
07-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Took me a while to get my parents to let me get my z28(lt1) I think it was mostly cause my dad owned one when he was a kid and he raced a lot, but he caved and I got one right after I turned 17. Parents worry a lot more than you think, just show them how responsible you are.

blackbirdls1
07-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm 18, only been driving my LS1 for a few months, have no problems with it yet, once you get the hang of it, its a breeze. At first they can be tricky but if you've driven different types of cars SUV's etc it isn't too bad it just depends what type of person you are and how you take care of your things.

streetassasin
07-07-2006, 09:32 PM
The problem with going out and buying it and telling the parents later, is I can't. I can't add the car to insurance by myself, can't get my own insurance, can't buy it <- all because I'm not 18. Also I don't have all of the cash saved up, so I need a cosigner on the loan.

If you could have a cosigner on a loan if you are under 18 I would not be drivin the RS right now. Even when you turn 18 you will still need a cosigner on a loan becuase you most likely wont have any credit and would get screwed over on the intrest if they would even give you that big of a loan. I started a tread like this about loans a few weeks ago check it out http://seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316
It sux bein under age :bang: :bang:

Dal1as
07-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Don't listen to some of these people. You seem to be fairly responsible. Just do some research show them an M6 can get 28 mpg and possibly 30 with some mods. :D

The whole handling, etc in the rain and everything is crap. Get some decent tires and later possibly upgrade the shocks and you'll have a great car.

Hell my TA is better in the rain then my Expedition in the rain. The GS-D3's made a huge difference.

DesertFox
07-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Ok, it seems like you have more experience driving than I did when i was your age. My parents wouldn't let me get a sports car when I was 16 b/c the insurance was way too much, and it would have been my first car. So I drove a full size truck for 5 years before I was able to afford an LS1.
Now I would point out that Dodges are perhaps the worst car for lasting over 100k miles, pretty much as they turn that over they start to fall apart. Also, 5.9 getting 30mpg anywhere, let alone city, is a flat out lie. Dodge would have kept making them if they did.

Also let your parents know that the 5.9L was a low production motor, so when things go wrong it will be more expensive to fix. Compared to the LS-motors which has been made in excess of 1 million per year since 1999. Also the LS1 is probably the easiest motor to work on yourself, since the 60's with the carbed motors, that may matter if your family doesn't trust mechanics.

My car, with 128k miles, gets 15 city, 27 highway. Only mods are lid and catback, I can garuntee that is at lest 2 mpg/7mpg better than a dakota R/T.

Point is dodge < GM.

Go for it, if they don't want to let you get the car you want, get something really cheap, like a 1990 civic. bank the money you have saved and as so as you move out, get an LS1. This was my plan for a while after I got rid of my truck b/c my mom still didnt want to let me get a sports car.

Josh

MIKE_84
07-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I say go for it, i think a stock ls1 is a good starter car if your responsible. What gets most people in trouble is they get there car and wanna be billy bad ass on the street trying to show off. I got my car a few months ago, i'm 21, but i dont see any reason why i couldnt have handled it without a problem 4 years ago. And not to offend anyone, but dodge rams (not including cummins) are crappy vehicles, the only way its gonna get 30mpg in town is if its being towed by a honda civic.

StealthZ06
07-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Be prepared to get bent over for insurance. I got my 99 TA when I was 16. I paid $430/month for full coverage. Now I'm 23 I've got a lighter, faster car and only pay $140/month for full coverage. No moving violations/accidents.

The whole handling, etc in the rain and everything is crap.

I beg to differ. My TA was crap in the rain. I was glad I had traction control. Seriously it was a horrible to drive in the rain. Oddly enough the Z doens't have that problem (maybe due to irs).

Just do some research show them an M6 can get 28 mpg and possibly 30 with some mods. :D

28-30 mpg? Yeah maybe when coasting in 6th gear doing 60 mph under 2,000 rpms. Only expect this kind of mileage on long trips with few stops. In reality expect about 15-18 city. It may very depending on driving habits. I think the LS6 Z gets better mileage than my LS1 TA did. The driver's information center shows that I regularly get between 19-21 mpg, 80% city driving. I also drive like a grandma though and very few people on this board who own LSx's drive like I do.

J2Pharren1
07-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Im 17 and Im gonna say do not do it. I consider myself very responsable and I think Im as good of a driver as a 17 year old can be (like you, I dont do stupid shit or try to show off, but bottom line is both of us have only been dirving on our own for a year or so, driving with your parents in the car is very different).

I own the car in my avatar, its a 5.slow and it can be a bitch at times. In the rain I slide all over the place, and its not because im accelerating to hard. The blind spot issue is a big one, I have to completely turn around and look out the crappy vert window to check them, and even though I have never done anything to hurt the car, it has been keyed (I almost cried), door dings, tire got slashed, a golf ball left a nice dent in it, all kinds of shit that I had nothing to do with, and I bet my car was half the price of any LS1 you are gonna find. You are gonna have to wrap up ALL of your money to pay for the car, and trust me that is not a lot of fun. When your 17 and in High School paying $150 a month in gas, $200 for the car, $200 for insurance, and if you take care of it like you say you do, theres alwayse maintenance to be done, and pretty soon your'e broke. God I love LS1 f-bodies but to me its not worth it to try and own one at our age, in all honesty I dont see how anyone can really afford to pay for EVERYTHING without a full time job, the ones with ls1's are still on their moms tit.

luvmeZ28
07-07-2006, 11:07 PM
one way to convince them is to not let them see youre looking at this site:jest:

and a dak r/t getting 30mpg? ha! my slightly modded 02 r/t got maybe 14mpg in town, and all i had done was exhaust, air intake, and chip. the way my car is modded now i still get 18-19 in town and 22-25 on the highway:)

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
The lady is fking on drugs, seriously. She convinced my mom her 5.9 ram got 30mpg and that I should buy it, mainly because she is sick of the problems. I laughed when I saw her ''gas mileage chip'', which was a JET chip. MY friend has an SST and that lowered his mpg hardcore.

I'm planning on taking care of the car to the max basically. Rainy days it will be in the garage, snow the same. I have a beater car to drive.

Working on it is another huge advantage for me. I'm in an auto mechanics class for HS where I go for 2.5 hours every day. I'm sick of wasting money into my Heep with 188k miles, and want something that I can see where the money is going to. I'll be able to save a ton of money on mods because I will be doing them all myself. I can do anything from oil changes to pulling motors and rebuilding trannys, and half the time I just did detailing like wax, wash, and vaccuum.

Am I young? Yes.. but I don't really care. Life is too short man, I dont wanna spend the first 1/5 of it being unhappy. Driving the car with blindspots and etc is really no problem for me, I've drivin a few fbodies and a wide array of vehicles. I'm also pretty tall (short enough to fit comfortably, tall enough to see over the dash :eyes: ) So I can see around the car pretty good.

Parents are usually right but I just don't see where I'm going wrong here. Insurance IS high(er), but any newer vehicle with full coverage will be.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Oh and about seeing this site, not to worry :) I gave my em my old computer when I built this one a month ago, so it's never disturbed :)

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh and I'm a dodge fan, but they have tons of problems. For one, they're definatly not known to be economy vehicles, and they are bugged with tranny problems. Also like someone said before, after you put a few miles on them they all crap out at once.

Kanes2413
07-08-2006, 12:35 AM
i got mine at 16 and got no tickets but i dont understand if its your money do what you want its not like they can take it away if its all yours. But i recommend having them buy it or so becuase if the title is theres and there the primary insurance wont be too bad. save alot money if thats an issue at all. If not complain alot and site alot of reasons why this car is better then others thats what i did

rk_2000_Z/28
07-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Man you may not like this but If I was your folks I would say no also. The LS1 are silly fast just bone stock, and I guarantee that as soon as you drive it you are gonna want to start saving pennies for mods to make it even faster. I'm sure you are very responsible but you never can tell what is gonna happen, that's why its called an accident. And yeah you can easily have a wreck in a dakota but over 300 rwhp in a 3700 pound car makes it a whole lot easier. I've had camaros almost as long as I've been driving ('82 'Z, 86 IROC, & 87 IROC) and I had a lot of fun in them but those cars were NOTHING compared to my LS1 even when it was bone stock. I know a lot of you are going to disagree very much with this, but I have said a few times that a 16 year old does not need a car like this. You may be a great driver in a beater truck, but get behind the wheel of an M6 LS1 and :devil: . And good luck on the insurance, when I first got my car at 23 I was paying $350 a month, switched to Progressive and now I pay $200, but still. My buddy pays $80 a month (full coverage) for his 2003 S/C Harley Truck. So, as a lot of people have mentioned, maybe it would be best to start off with something just a little more milder like an LT1 (or a lot milder like an Mustang :jest: ) But whatever you do, good luck and please be safe man.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 12:54 AM
I can see your views and I'm not trying to bash you at all, but you can roll doing 100mph in any vehicle. Also, if people don't like you, they will fuck up your car no matter what it is.

My friend has an LT1 and I must say I'm not a fan of it. I have driven some silly fast cars before (420 to the wheels NA in a Z) so any new car will seem mild :judge:

I honestly plan on doing full exhaust, lid, and little mods. Don't plan on pulling the motor and H/C or anything like that. I'm starting late, I wanted to buy a car and have it paid for before I go to college but it doesn't seem like that will happen with anything nice now.

I think I may have talked her into one, I had a convo with her just a few mins ago and since we're both off tomorrow we're going to check on the car. My mom has the cash saved to buy the car, so I'm going to see if she will do that and I can pay her monthly. Don't pay and she takes the keys, just like a bank.

SLVR_99-Z
07-08-2006, 02:16 AM
i'm 16 and i just got my LS1 about a month ago (Z28 M6). it took some talking to the parents to let me get it but eventually i talked them into it. i'm also pretty responsible. insurance isn't too bad for me (also good student discount). after i got the car my dad found out how fun it is to drive. before thsi i was driving an '01 Chevy silverado and this is much easier to drive just because of the size difference and handling. The worst thing about it is the "deal" i have with my mom is the car is sold if get a ticket, no questions asked. good luck and know it is possibe to talk them into one, especially if it's your money.

NightWindDriftr
07-08-2006, 04:27 AM
I was 16 when my dad handed me down my '94 TA. It was an LT1, but it was awesome. Like most typical kid-racer-with-fast-car stories, I did get into an accident that totaled that beautiful car.

But don't let those stories stop you. Teen years are good years, and nothing says "American" like having the keys to a big, hulking V8. It's like cake and ice cream, or strawberry and banana; few things go so well together.

Yes, f-bodies handle like trash in snow, and depending on your tires, rain too. Their long hoods, blind spots, weight, and power give the car a considerable learning curve. I can't say you sound responsible because that's a hard thing to gauge online. But I can say that everyone at that age is deserving of a chance. Not everyone wrecks their first (fast) car.

The best way to convince your parents to support you getting your car? There isn't one. You're talking about a proven 13-second car. All you have to do is tell your parents it has a Corvette's engine, and they won't even stay to hear the rest. What you need is trust, build that however you can. Good luck! :)

Dal1as
07-08-2006, 09:19 AM
I beg to differ. My TA was crap in the rain. I was glad I had traction control. Seriously it was a horrible to drive in the rain. Oddly enough the Z doens't have that problem (maybe due to irs).

It's all in the tires. Like I said my car does better in the rain than the Expedition but mainly due to the tires. Now snow is a whole other story.

28-30 mpg? Yeah maybe when coasting in 6th gear doing 60 mph under 2,000 rpms. Only expect this kind of mileage on long trips with few stops. In reality expect about 15-18 city. It may very depending on driving habits. I think the LS6 Z gets better mileage than my LS1 TA did. The driver's information center shows that I regularly get between 19-21 mpg, 80% city driving. I also drive like a grandma though and very few people on this board who own LSx's drive like I do.

Yep 28 - 30 mpg. It's obviously highway mileage though. I got 32 on one trip. 6th gear doing 75 the whole way. Now daily commuting with me driving the car pretty hard I get about 18 mpg.

not_my_z
07-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I can see your views and I'm not trying to bash you at all, but you can roll doing 100mph in any vehicle.

um... no.

my first car - i could mash the accelerator to the floor in top gear and i would be lucky if the car held 69mph.

also, the power steering would quit working when it rained.

that's how all first-car experiences should be.

Renegade
07-08-2006, 11:58 AM
I think you should convince them to get you a nice 93-97 LT1 car. My first F-Body was an LT1, it was a nice car but had 88k when I bought it and I learned a lot driving it, I scraped the curb a few times... never had any accidents, but I basically learned how to drive a big V8 Powered RWD car and not killing myself in it... I also learned how expensive it was to maintain such a car at the age of 17 and how even 1 ticket will effect your insurance rates. After about a year my LT1 was approaching 100,000 miles and I convinced my Grandpa to co-sign another loan for Me based on my driving in the LT1, and wanting a better car for college. At first he was like hell no, you shouldn't have bought one in the first place, but after a little thinking they came to realize how responsible and happy I was since owning my LT1... I took pride in that car and it showed... so he co-signed and I'm driving around a beautiful Black 98Z now with much more respect for F-Bodies. The car isn't perfect but close enough for Me. I'm 18 now and I started off wanting an LS1 just like you, but settled for the LT1 and a year down the road here I am in the car I've always wanted. So settle for the LT1 if you can talk them into it, and get used to an F-Body and owning one before jumping right into an LS1 car.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 01:21 PM
I would take an LT1, but looking around most of them seem to be trashed or with high miles. If I find either specific car that I want, the fact that it's an LT1 wouldn't stop me. I just happened to find an LS1 that is exactly what I want so I posted asking about it. The thing is my parents don't know the difference between an LT1 and an LS1 so that is a mute point, and insurance is $3 more a month going from a 97-98.. probably because the one year and not the engine.

Smoke Panther
07-08-2006, 01:34 PM
um..there's a lil stipulation that most people overlook. If you're a minor, you have no legal possessions. That includes money that you make...so even if he busts his balls getting the money, his parents can still legally stop him. why do you think so many child stars get emancipated from their parents?

blackhawk J
07-08-2006, 01:45 PM
If I were you, and I was once, I suggest buying something that is not quite as powerful. Learn how to drive a rear wheel drive car first. At 17 you do not have the experience base to call yourself a good driver.
In the US anyone can get a license, I can promise you do not have the training to make up for lack of experience.
I suggest looking at buying a crappy older sports car and then get a LS1. Think of it as getting your bachelors degree before you get your masters degree.
Look at perhaps: a older SN95 mustang gt 215hp, Mark III Supra 230hp, 3rd gen f body 225hp, fox body 5.0 ect. These cars handle in a similar way to a late model f body but without the power level.
Build your way up to an LS1. Thats what I did, hell I still look at it like that. Next on my list is the ZO6! Good Luck bro.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 02:10 PM
um..there's a lil stipulation that most people overlook. If you're a minor, you have no legal possessions. That includes money that you make...so even if he busts his balls getting the money, his parents can still legally stop him. why do you think so many child stars get emancipated from their parents?

I was going to say this earlier but forgot :eek2:. Parent permission is DEFINATLY a must.

00transamnh
07-08-2006, 02:11 PM
If you're paying for it all yourself and your own insurance, why do you need their permission? Just buy it and be responsible.

lol probibly because hes living in their house? Thats quite a bit of leverage

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 02:16 PM
If I were you, and I was once, I suggest buying something that is not quite as powerful. Learn how to drive a rear wheel drive car first. At 17 you do not have the experience base to call yourself a good driver.
In the US anyone can get a license, I can promise you do not have the training to make up for lack of experience.
I suggest looking at buying a crappy older sports car and then get a LS1. Think of it as getting your bachelors degree before you get your masters degree.
Look at perhaps: a older SN95 mustang gt 215hp, Mark III Supra 230hp, 3rd gen f body 225hp, fox body 5.0 ect. These cars handle in a similar way to a late model f body but without the power level.
Build your way up to an LS1. Thats what I did, hell I still look at it like that. Next on my list is the ZO6! Good Luck bro.

Note my post above where I said what I meant by ''being a good driver.''

I've driven LSD RWD on sand roads, mud, rain, snow, ice, etc.. so I know how to handle one pretty well and know what they tend to do. Obviously an LS1 car is going to be a big jump in power but I still know the main characteristics of how a RWD handles.

See I dont want to start with 5 crappy cars, because you GENERALLY don't get out of them what you pay for them and you just have the hassle of buying and selling all of them. I may just be blind but it seems like jumping straight to an LS1 is the thing to do :confused:

Thanks for the comments as always :drive:

JustAnIlluzion
07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
dakota R/Ts are sweet, get a club cab

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
lol probibly because hes living in their house? Thats quite a bit of leverage

Their house and the whole them owning everything of mine legally till I'm 18 :bang:

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 02:21 PM
dakota R/Ts are sweet, get a club cab

I was looking at an immaculate CC R/T for 11,500 with 40k miles, all new $$nice$$ tires, etc. The main reason I wouldn't go for it is because 1: a little much over book and 2: the guy who had it was such a douche I wouldn't support him.

The guy was trying to tell me all the other nice R/Ts i was finding on internet werent a 5.9... they were a v6 :confused:. He said he has one of the very few R/T that is an actual 5.9..... :judge:

Maybe if he's comparing old R/Ts to new R/T.. but the guy was basically telling me I'm a dumbass because I was arguing with him that there are no V6 R/Ts that are the older style. That was a turn-off to me, because he was ignorant.. and it made me wonder what else he could have been lying about.

Driving FaSSt
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
1st dont listen to the ones saying NO LS1 FOR 1ST CAR its BS just dont be stupid

I'm 17 and it was easy for me I looked at them and said "I want a LS1. Before you say no its gonna be slower than the chevelle, airbags, antilock brakes, A/C, so its an all around better car than the hotrod (chevelle had 500 hp BBC and 4-spd)

Parents said "whatever"

It helps my dad had a 81 Z28 with a built 400 SBC when he was young its easier to talk to him about it.

ChevyBoy2006
07-08-2006, 02:23 PM
all i got to say is a Dodge Dakota R/T DOES NOT GET GOOD GAS MILEAGE i know acouple people who has and the best i've heard em gettin is 12mpg but i guess it depends on how you drive it too but i dont see it being that big of a difference maybe one to two miles oh yeah there really slow too spin way to much.........really i dont think you would want that..........just dont take no for an anwser

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Neither of my parents are fans of fast cars really. My mom is happy with a Jeep and my dad is happy with a :cry: Ford :cry: F250 diesel. I want a decent gas mileage vehicle, and the rest of my family is like fuck gas mileage :judge:

PotentialZ28
07-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Heres food for thought, dont buy anything that you cant afford. I was aloud to have any car i wanted when i first started driving as long as i paid for it and the insurance. If you dont pay for it with your own hard earned money, you will never respect as much as you would if you paid for it. My parents never gave me nothing or money and i am a better man for it now. If your parents are gonna buy you a car, DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT and take the car. People are way to spoiled these days i swear.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 03:07 PM
I completely agree with you and will be paying for everything for it, including the car, mods, gas, and insurance.

Ferocity02
07-08-2006, 03:25 PM
I was in the same boat as you. My parents were worried that I would go out racing and get speeding tickets, or worse kill myself. We made an agreement that if I got any sort of exhibition of speed tickets, racing tickets, or even just a speeding ticket that was 10mph or more over, that I would sell the car. More than three years later I've only gotten one ticket, and that was for no front plate, $10. And now they think it's neat that I'm dropping in a 427 soon :lol:

Jassick
07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Am I the only one that realizes the gas pedal isn't an on/off switch? There is a part-throttle section in there. Honestly, I don't really look at age. I look at posts, and you seem to be responsible enough to know what you're doing (unless you're really good with words). I wish I had some actual advice to give you. Good luck.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 04:19 PM
That is a very true statement. Every time I tell my parents that you can drive ''normal'' in any car, they automatically think high hp means spinning tires and speeding tickets. There is just a litttttle bit of variance between idle and WOT :eyes:.

J2Pharren1
07-08-2006, 04:28 PM
I want you to think about something, once again comming from a fellow 17 year old. Do you plan on moving out in a year? You gonna go to school? You say you will pay for everything, seriously add it all up and realize how much that is going to be. Then think about how much you spend living on your own, AT LEAST $800 a month, probobly more, on top of what, $500 or $600 on the car? So now that you have $1400 in bills every month, what are you gonna do besides work? What happens when the clutch goes out and all of sudden you need another $500? What happens when you snap that piece of shit 10 bolt and need $700 to fix it or $2500 to upgrade? Are you gonna have to get money from your parents or go into debt?

Don't live paycheck to paycheck, start figuring out what you are gonna do and dont bank on scholarships or anything like that until you actualy have the scholarship check in your hand. Think about how you are gonna pay for everything and dont kid yourself, it will only get you into trouble. The last thing you want to do is have to rely on your parents for anything, that only gives them more power. If your car is insured under your moms name and you piss her off, whats to stop her from uninsuring your car? Or if you need $200 a month from them for food and what not, whats gonna stop them from telling you to go starve? I dunno, maybe your parents arnt as harsh as mine, and maybe you dont plan on moving out like I do, but its time to seriously think about how much money you are gonna need and where it is going to come from.

The F-body can wait another year for you to get setled and on your own, dont go getting yourself into money troubles at 17.

fastest94v6
07-08-2006, 04:42 PM
honestly man, 1'm 19 and this is my second f body....take my advice DO NOT DO NOT buy an ls1. save yourself some money and go with a v6 as a first car. chocotaco and i both had 3.4l's before our ls1's. You will be tempted to race each and every person on that road. Take my experience as a lesson, I got arrested two months ago for an unauthorized speed contest. i spent the night in jail, paid 1,500 bucks for a lawyer, i go to court every month, i'm on probation, my parents lost all respect and trust for me. I never thought i would never even see how prison looked, but this car made that possible. THey ended up towing my car, but i got off the hook i didn't get my license suspended. But if it happens again, its a FELONY and i will be in jail for a good time. So honestly take my experience as a good good lesson for yourself wait a little bit until you "Mature" a little more then buy it. I still have my car but i drive it maybe once or twice a week for a little bit, and i keep my racing STRICTLY to the TRACK. We all make mistakes but learning from the mistakes of others and yourself is what really counts. But again, you can just ignore what i just wrote and buy the ls1. I'll be hearing from you in a few months.

not_my_z
07-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Note my post above where I said what I meant by ''being a good driver.''

I've driven LSD RWD on sand roads, mud, rain, snow, ice, etc..

whoa wait a minute.

driving a car while on LSD does not make you a good driver!!!!
if your parents read this and find out what you've done, you'll be in serious trouble.

fastest94v6
07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
agreed....thats has nothing to do with good driving....a defensive driver is a good driver not someone that is impulsive..

Jassick
07-08-2006, 05:51 PM
honestly man, 1'm 19 and this is my second f body....take my advice DO NOT DO NOT buy an ls1. save yourself some money and go with a v6 as a first car. chocotaco and i both had 3.4l's before our ls1's. You will be tempted to race each and every person on that road. Take my experience as a lesson, I got arrested two months ago for an unauthorized speed contest. i spent the night in jail, paid 1,500 bucks for a lawyer, i go to court every month, i'm on probation, my parents lost all respect and trust for me. I never thought i would never even see how prison looked, but this car made that possible. THey ended up towing my car, but i got off the hook i didn't get my license suspended. But if it happens again, its a FELONY and i will be in jail for a good time. So honestly take my experience as a good good lesson for yourself wait a little bit until you "Mature" a little more then buy it. I still have my car but i drive it maybe once or twice a week for a little bit, and i keep my racing STRICTLY to the TRACK. We all make mistakes but learning from the mistakes of others and yourself is what really counts. But again, you can just ignore what i just wrote and buy the ls1. I'll be hearing from you in a few months.

The type of car you own doesn't determine the type of driver you are. I have a 18 y/o nephew that drives an older stock turbo'd Eclispe (94 i think, GS-something, not the awd one). Not only does he race the thing every chance he gets, he got a speeding ticket for 94 in a 55. That's not the only speeding ticket I might add.

J2Pharren1
07-08-2006, 06:06 PM
The type of car you own doesn't determine the type of driver you are. I have a 18 y/o nephew that drives an older stock turbo'd Eclispe (94 i think, GS-something, not the awd one). Not only does he race the thing every chance he gets, he got a speeding ticket for 94 in a 55. That's not the only speeding ticket I might add.

Thats because hes an idiot that thinks hes fast and furious, and I can promise you the car he drives influences that.

BLKWS.6
07-08-2006, 06:10 PM
A 300whp car is not a good choice for a first car. Almost EVERY first car gets wrecked in my experience (idiot pulled out in front of me) and almost all my friends have had someone, or they themselves wreck their first car, and we are talking NORMAL cars, like a civic (not rice) intrepid, crown vic (me, and yes, it was a motor swap and police car, kinda neat and had some nuts), etc. etc.

MIKE_84
07-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I definitely agree with not living paycheck to paycheck, always make sure that if you lose your job you can support yourself for a while without losing everything. I went to iraq and saved up alot of money, came back and payed for my car cash, payed off credit cards, and motorcycle loan. I can tell you from experience, the best car is the one thats payed off.

smok'nZ
07-08-2006, 07:48 PM
you're probably not gonna want to hear this, but i STRONGLY recommend you do not buy an LS1 for your first car. i suggest you buy a cheap, beater car to teach you how to drive. you say you're a pretty good driver for your age. bullshit. no 17 year old is a good driver. i don't care if you're the best track driver in the world either, you can very well suck on the street. there are far too many variables that you have to learn. your first car will likely get pinged, dinged, you're gonna scrape the rims on soooo many curbs, if you parallel park a lot, i'm sure your back bumper will see action...

f-bodies are one of the trickiest cars to drive. they have one of the biggest blind spots in the world (i have to make crazy angles to see when i make some left turns), they are a very strange shape with the super long nose and super short rear end, they have very poor weight distribution, and they are nearly impossible to drive in the snow and not the best in the rain either.

i think it's a poor decision to buy such a nice car as your first car. buy something that you don't mind if it gets dinged or scraped. then, once you're used to driving (and we're talking 1-2 years here), get something nice.

i'm so glad i bought a V6 f-body for my first car. i think i woulda got into a lot of trouble with an LS1 for my first car. it's hard to handle all that power when you've never been driving.

i strongly recommend you buy a V6 f-body as your first car and drive it for a year. it'll teach you all the tricks of driving/parking an f-body, but the car won't have power to break itself or you since mashing it at a standstill gets traction in 2 seconds. you won't have to worry about going sideways when you shift.

i hope you take my advice on this. get a V6 and learn how to drive before you make such a big leap. people that buy V8's with tons of power in their first car have a big possibility of getting into a bad wreck. you think you know how to drive but man, you just don't. no one is safe on the road, no one.

just for the record, my 2001 5.7L V8 firebird forumla is only $50 a year more to insure than my old 1995 3.4L V6 firebird, so the engine makes nearly no difference in insurance - and i live in NJ, home of the nation's highest insurance premiums and i turn 20 in 2 weeks so i'm a young'n.
i agree to dissagree i was 16 when i bought my 98Z and it was the first driving car i had bought ill admit the first week was getting to know the car,but was skilled enought to drive a 6 spd if you want a f-body get one there ment for all ages! i said ill get a bike she said fine you can get the Z28 :drive:

cascadesys
07-08-2006, 08:02 PM
It seems like all the usual ideas have been touched on. Stress that you will be responsible, show them facts like gas mileage, crash test ratings, etc. Ask them how often they see a vette or fbody out on the highway raising hell weaving in and out of traffic and being generally dangerous. I got my WS6 when I had just turned 17, and I told my parents that you don't see people out being stupid as often in fbodys and vettes because when you have something nice like these cars, you don't want to do anything to risk harming them. Usually the cars that you see being driven erratically are low-performance imports that are only worth a couple of grand, so it's not a big deal if Seargant Dumbass behind the wheel wrecks it while playing real life Matrix getaway scene on public roads.

While many say that an Fbody is not a great first car, I'd naturally have to disagree due to the fact that I fall into that category. While an Fbody is not the ideal car for most young drivers, usually the kids that look at Fbodys instead of imports know what the cars are and what they're capable of, and are more inclined to be able to handle the car better than the average kid. I got my 2001 WS6 last November, and live in Eastern PA. I bought my car on a friday that we got off of school from due to a foot of snow having fallen the previous night. (Hella good deal, not too many people looking at RWD V8's in the beginning of winter). I drove my WS6 60 miles home in the snow, with a six speed manual and NO traction control. It being my only car, I drove it every single day to school, regardless of road conditions. Being obsessed with the car, I went outside and washed it in 20 degree weather almost daily, and put it back in the garage for the night, then back off to school the next day in the snow. Here I am, past the challenge of winter, and the WS6 is still in the same shape as I got it in November. I haven't had a single close call, despite the fact that the car doesn't play well with snow. As long as you are responsible and know the limits of the car, it can be driven in most any kind of road conditions.

So basically take care of your Fbody, and it will take care of you :)

Here's a picture of mine, I'll never get rid of this car, I'm hooked for life.
http://cascadesys.com/stuff/pics/WS6/picture%20001%20(Large).jpg

Good luck with the parents, and make sure to take your time when you are looking at Fbodys, don't settle, wait for "the one" and hold onto it for life, I'm glad I did.

StealthZ06
07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Stress that you will be responsible, show them facts like gas mileage, crash test ratings, etc.

The four deadliest cars ever in all of history are the Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, and the Mustang.

"The Firebirds and Camaros have done very well in crash tests," says Pund. "Combined with high death rates, what that statistic tells you is how people handle those cars."

Mike02Z
07-08-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm with the guys who say DO NOT BUY AN LS1 as your first car. You may be the best, responsible 17 year driver on the planet but sometime after buying it you will get talked into racing someone or flooring it by one of your friends and then there is a high probability of something bad happening. My brother buys wrecked fbody's at auction and we see more of those rolled and destroyed than any other single model of car. It is pretty nasty to see these cars come in with blood all over the interior. You look at some and just know someone had to die in it. It has been worse over the last year as 4th gen LS1 fbody prices have been dropping and younger and younger guys are now able to afford them. It's just not a good car for a young driver IMO. Yea, they are fast but also on the edge of out-of-control at times and once you lose it there is not much that is going to stop you accept another car/wall/pole/tree.

Please heed the advice of those of us who have been around for a while and do not buy an LS1 as your first car. If you like the body style why not start with a 4th gen V6? Still pretty quick but much cheaper and your insurance will be a lot more reasonable and you'll probably be a lot safer.

fastest94v6
07-08-2006, 09:52 PM
your dealing with A LOTT OF hp, control the power and you'll be good. Age is not just a number it means a lot in most cases.

Charlie@LsXperts
07-08-2006, 09:54 PM
good lookin car

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 10:24 PM
I want you to think about something, once again comming from a fellow 17 year old. Do you plan on moving out in a year? You gonna go to school? You say you will pay for everything, seriously add it all up and realize how much that is going to be. Then think about how much you spend living on your own, AT LEAST $800 a month, probobly more, on top of what, $500 or $600 on the car? So now that you have $1400 in bills every month, what are you gonna do besides work? What happens when the clutch goes out and all of sudden you need another $500? What happens when you snap that piece of shit 10 bolt and need $700 to fix it or $2500 to upgrade? Are you gonna have to get money from your parents or go into debt?

Don't live paycheck to paycheck, start figuring out what you are gonna do and dont bank on scholarships or anything like that until you actualy have the scholarship check in your hand. Think about how you are gonna pay for everything and dont kid yourself, it will only get you into trouble. The last thing you want to do is have to rely on your parents for anything, that only gives them more power. If your car is insured under your moms name and you piss her off, whats to stop her from uninsuring your car? Or if you need $200 a month from them for food and what not, whats gonna stop them from telling you to go starve? I dunno, maybe your parents arnt as harsh as mine, and maybe you dont plan on moving out like I do, but its time to seriously think about how much money you are gonna need and where it is going to come from.

The F-body can wait another year for you to get setled and on your own, dont go getting yourself into money troubles at 17.

No I do not plan on moving out this year, the local college demands that you live at home or in the dorms for the first year. $500-$600 for a car payment? What are you buying? Not a $9000 LS1 for a 3 or even 2 year loan. The car is automatic, no clutch to replace. Transmission? Maybe :judge:. If I prove to be responsible with the car, I'm sure I wouldn't have a hard time asking my parents for a little help once in a while.. isn't that what they're there for?

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 10:25 PM
whoa wait a minute.

driving a car while on LSD does not make you a good driver!!!!
if your parents read this and find out what you've done, you'll be in serious trouble.

An LSD will react the same as a fbody when it comes to fishtailing and etc.. just saying there is a similarity that I'm used to.

If my parents read this, I don't see what they'd be mad about really..

not_my_z
07-08-2006, 10:30 PM
An LSD will react the same as a fbody when it comes to fishtailing and etc.. just saying there is a similarity that I'm used to.

If my parents read this, I don't see what they'd be mad about really..

I guess you didn't get the LSD drug reference dork.
nevermind

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 10:31 PM

That's how you prove your dignity. If you have to race somebody to prove a point, then you have other problems. Half of the point of having a fast car is so you have nothing to prove, and if you need to you take it to a track. When ricers want to race, half of the time they just want to do it to see if you will. You can't tell me the owner of a stock eclipse with neons and a fart pipe really wants to challenge your Z or TA or Vette, he obviously knows you will win. When you give in and try to prove a point, you get fucked. I'm sorry that you lowered yourself to their level and got screwed for it, but that's just the result.

slowscott
You could pretend you want a motorcycle instead. Then an f-bod would look really good to your parents. :jest:

As others have said, you need to show your parents that you are responsible by presenting them with facts concerning safety, reliablity, mpg, etc... btw i got 20 mpg last 5 tanks with zero highway.

Many of my classmates caused serious accidents when I was a senior in high school. None of the these crashes were due to high powered cars. Poor desicion making will occur in a fwd 130hp civic just as often as it does in a 300hp fbody.

FlashLCD33
I guess you didn't get the LSD drug reference dork.
nevermind

Doh I feel like a dumbass for not reading ''on lsd'', i skimmed it and just assumed ''with lsd'' :(

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Thats because hes an idiot that thinks hes fast and furious, and I can promise you the car he drives influences that.

You can think you're fast in the furious in any car.. after being dragged to the movie by a friend (he paid for it of course, i wouldn't pay to see that shit) while leaving the parking lot people in every kind of econobox were attempting to spin the tires.

doodad
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
even if you pay for it.. you are just 17 and living with them.. you are doing right thing to talk to them about this.. just tell them that you like the way it looks and l really want that car and give some pormises. etc.. basicly l mean, beg:)

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 10:34 PM
A 300whp car is not a good choice for a first car. Almost EVERY first car gets wrecked in my experience (idiot pulled out in front of me) and almost all my friends have had someone, or they themselves wreck their first car, and we are talking NORMAL cars, like a civic (not rice) intrepid, crown vic (me, and yes, it was a motor swap and police car, kinda neat and had some nuts), etc. etc.

Definatly not a first car as I posted before.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 10:36 PM
The four deadliest cars ever in all of history are the Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, and the Mustang.

Based on ignorant drivers, most likely. Sadly enough half of the people that drive these cars are idiots.. they give owners and potential owners/enthusiasts a bad name just like some idiot in a civic with a fart pipe and a black spray painted hood gives a normal import driver a bad name.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 10:39 PM
You could pretend you want a motorcycle instead. Then an f-bod would look really good to your parents. :jest:

As others have said, you need to show your parents that you are responsible by presenting them with facts concerning safety, reliablity, mpg, etc... btw i got 20 mpg last 5 tanks with zero highway.

Many of my classmates caused serious accidents when I was a senior in high school. None of the these crashes were due to high powered cars. Poor desicion making will occur in a fwd 130hp civic just as often as it does in a 300hp fbody.

Motorcycle thing is absolutely out of the question.. my brother was taking his friends for a test ride and made it halfway down the block before laying it into a car. The whole time we were all outside watching him. Luckily he wasn't hurt, just road rage (taught him though), the car had no damage and the bike had some. The $3000 he paid for repairs sure made his 10 second joy ride not so fun.

Last year one of my close friends died in a car wreck and 3 others were air lifted, and it wasn't a high hp car. Anything can happen in any car, at any time. Going to one funeral is 1 too many that anybody should have to go to in a life time, it definatly saftened my driving because I don't want my family to go through the same thing theirs did.

slowscott
07-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Also whats with all this, "fbody's are bad in the rain" shit? Please check your tires to make sure that metal is not starting to show through the rubber. This is a good indicator that they may need to be replaced soon.

infinitebird
07-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I would say be scientific about it. Produce documents showing them that their gas mileage notions about it are BS, and that you will save money compared to your current car.

Second, if you've already had/driven all those vehicles you claim, basically you just need to convince them that you are ready for that kind of power and have enough driving experience to handle it.

FlashLCD33
07-08-2006, 10:47 PM
The problem isn't really the power of it with them.. the main problem is ''it's red''. Now the car isn't red, but they think automatically it's a sports car and just by looking at it a cop will give you 100 tickets. Are you more inclined to get a ticket driving 5 over in a sports car than a family wagon? Probably.. but if you don't give a cop a reason they wont pull you over. For instance a friend in his LS1 bodied WS6 got pulled over because his fog lights were slightly blue... yet tons of family cars have blue lights and tons of cars drive around with blue neons hanging halfway out.

Also i showed them fueleconomy.gov, and evidently it's all BS because there is no way a V8 can get over 10... :eyes:

J2Pharren1
07-08-2006, 11:00 PM
No I do not plan on moving out this year, the local college demands that you live at home or in the dorms for the first year. $500-$600 for a car payment? What are you buying? Not a $9000 LS1 for a 3 or even 2 year loan. The car is automatic, no clutch to replace. Transmission? Maybe :judge:. If I prove to be responsible with the car, I'm sure I wouldn't have a hard time asking my parents for a little help once in a while.. isn't that what they're there for?

I ment your gonna be spending $5-600 a month on the car between gas and indurance and what not.

Im not even gonna talk about power and all that because I know exactly what you meen, you dont need to be told its to much car by 45 different people to get the point, my thing is your gonna have a hard to affording it, especialy when you have other things to pay for. Don't be one of those nutswingers who has mommy and daddy pay for all their shit.

infinitebird
07-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Also i showed them fueleconomy.gov, and evidently it's all BS because there is no way a V8 can get over 10... :eyes:
Wow, that's so completely stupid your situation might be hopeless.

GM rated these cars to 26-27 highway. There's no way they could get away with that if the mileage was significantly different in practice. If they can't understand that then you should point out that is a serious lack of knowledge on their part which is preventing them from making an objective decision.

MIKE_84
07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I am 21 so i kind of know what your going through. If theres one thing i can stress to you is stay out of debt. Its so easy to really fuck up your credit when your young. My credit would be alot better if i didnt have a car payment when i was 18 and 19 because stuff does come up that you dont plan on. You talk like nothing can go wrong with the car, but the truth is you never know, especially with a used car w/ no warranty, anything can happen. Just try your hardest to stay debt free as long as you can.

StealthZ06
07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Also keep in mind that F-bodys are notorious for not having the best build quality. Heck I got my Trans Am brand new in 99 and had more than a few build quality issues before 30,000 miles on the clock. Since you are going to be paying for everything if you get the f-body, I would recommend you set aside a little money in an emergency fund incase anything happens (and it probably will).

I got my 99 Trans Am brand new off the showroom floor at age 16. I didn't wreck it, but I would never let my kid have a car like that and I wouldn't recommend it to someone of your age. Your parents say you will be profiled by the police, it's true. I got harrassed constantly. No front plate, failure to signal turns (although I always use my blinker), speeding (less than 5 mph over the limit), etc. I was always a responsible kid growing up. I got good grades, and wouldn't do many of the things that other kids my age were doing. It was a different story behind the wheel of a 300rwhp Trans Am. I street-raced, I did top speed runs, I drove wrecklessly. This coming from a stand up kid who never got in trouble or anything like that. You sit there and tell us that you are responsible and that you are going to drive responsibly. I said the same exact thing to my parents 7 years ago. And I really believed what I was saying (just as you really believe), but in reality if you get that car you are going to drive it like 99.99% of all the other 16-17 year olds do.

FlashLCD33
07-09-2006, 12:12 AM
I am 21 so i kind of know what your going through. If theres one thing i can stress to you is stay out of debt. Its so easy to really fuck up your credit when your young. My credit would be alot better if i didnt have a car payment when i was 18 and 19 because stuff does come up that you dont plan on. You talk like nothing can go wrong with the car, but the truth is you never know, especially with a used car w/ no warranty, anything can happen. Just try your hardest to stay debt free as long as you can.

I know exactly what you're talking about.. a friend of mine bit off more than he can chew and is stuck paying over $700 for his 2 cars, on top of a ton of insurance and gas. I'm trying to just get 1 nice vehicle and be done with it. Also, I usually try to have $1000 in the bank just incase something does come up.. i'm used to it with my current vehicle.

FlashLCD33
07-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Also keep in mind that F-bodys are notorious for not having the best build quality. Heck I got my Trans Am brand new in 99 and had more than a few build quality issues before 30,000 miles on the clock. Since you are going to be paying for everything if you get the f-body, I would recommend you set aside a little money in an emergency fund incase anything happens (and it probably will).

I got my 99 Trans Am brand new off the showroom floor at age 16. I didn't wreck it, but I would never let my kid have a car like that and I wouldn't recommend it to someone of your age. Your parents say you will be profiled by the police, it's true. I got harrassed constantly. No front plate, failure to signal turns (although I always use my blinker), speeding (less than 5 mph over the limit), etc. I was always a responsible kid growing up. I got good grades, and wouldn't do many of the things that other kids my age were doing. It was a different story behind the wheel of a 300rwhp Trans Am. I street-raced, I did top speed runs, I drove wrecklessly. This coming from a stand up kid who never got in trouble or anything like that. You sit there and tell us that you are responsible and that you are going to drive responsibly. I said the same exact thing to my parents 7 years ago. And I really believed what I was saying (just as you really believe), but in reality if you get that car you are going to drive it like 99.99% of all the other 16-17 year olds do.

Tell ya what man.. There is no way I can honestly sit here and tell you that I WONT experiment with it... I mean really how many people buy a car like that and NEVER use it to the fullest.

I know exactly what you mean, being profiled. I ride all the time in my friends TA just wishing it was mine with me driving... and i've been with him multiple times getting pulled over. Too blue of fog lights.. not using a turn signal.. ''revving your motor trying to street race'' (downshifting while accelerating..).. we're in an LS1 WS6, do you really think he was trying to risk his liscense to prove he can beat a cavalier? Hell while getting pulled over once a cop even told us he followed us because he thought we may do something illegal.

What I wonder about the most is why it was fine for you to drive a brand new LS1 but not your kids and not other kids. Care to explain? Please don't think I'm bashing you, I'm definatly not. I'm just wondering why, because just saying that without evaluating sounds hypocritical.

I have to be up for work in 4 hours and can't sleep for the life of me.. so figured why not browse ls1tech :hail:

BIG BAD BLACKSS
07-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Dude, seriously buy a 93-97 LT1 with high miles for your first car and get used to it. ior even a <gasp> beater 5.0. Don't head straight out and buy an LS1, get used to driving a POS first cause, sorry to say, you'll probbaly fuck it up anyways. Everyone wrecks their first car...

I agree with this for the most part. I sold my LT1 with some mods to a 17 year old kid that was in love with the car and the dad was cool about letting him buy it. I was a lil worried about the kid in the car and even pulled his dad to the side to tell him he probably shouldnt take the car out in the rain (it was raining the day he bought the car) till he is used to the car, and that it has mods and it does move out pretty well and made sure he knew what the kid was buying.

I really dont think an LS1 is a good first car, especially for you as i can tell you cant wait to start modding and going faster to kep up with your 11 sec buddy.

I honestly think a 5.9 dakota R/T would be a damn good first car. Big and fairly safe, still has some power, its a truck so you dont have to worry about curbing the car and bumping stuff left n right (youll probably still do it but it wont take damage like an F-Body would). Get the truck for a couple years then move up to a real sorts car

BIG BAD BLACKSS
07-09-2006, 01:18 AM
The whole handling, etc in the rain and everything is crap. Get some decent tires and later possibly upgrade the shocks and you'll have a great car.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Even with eagle F1 GSD3's arguably the best rain tire out now, pirelli PZero nero's and other high end tires, on my LT1 t/a and my LS1 SS, and both cars are crap in the rain. Yeah you can get around in em, but any but the lightest touch of the gas and your spinning, gotta go slow around turns, braking is almost a joke. These cars are better then 3rd gen's in bad weather, but far far FAR from ideal. I dont care what tires you put on.

Jakson
07-09-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm 16 and i bought my 98 Z last month. I went to the Camaro straight from a $400 92 Toyota pickup with 300k on it. It was quite a change to say the least. But i have been careful with it and take it easy for the most part. I am sure to be careful with curbs especially with the rims. Just be alert when driving and get used to the car. It is pretty easy to say that you won't beat on it at all. I have tested its capabilites a few times and yeah, i will admit i "hotrod" it around sometimes, but within reason.

My parents made it a rule that i have to be on at least the B honor roll to be able to drive it. They let me get it because they know i can get good grades and i will be responsible with it. They know i have saved up all of my money for the last 2-3 years, and I am not going to do anything stupid with it because it is my dream car and i worked hard to get it. I paid it off the day i got it, so that was nice and its a good feeling not having to make payments on it. My dad loves driving it, its pretty cool to see the smile on his face when he gets on it a bit. My parents are going to pay for insurance for it like they did for both of my sisters. It will be under my dads name and the Toyota is listed as my vehicle.

I have drivin it in the rain more than once and i don't know why all you guys say it is so bad. I mean, sure if you drive it agressive and hit the go pedal more than neccesary its going to slide and spin some, but you can control that you know. I havn't had any troubles in the rain unless i really try to. Right now i am getting about 12-14 mpg in town and 25-27 on the highway.

My advice to you is, keep talking to your parents about it and assure them that you are going to be responsible and respectful with it. And if you do get it, don't showoff and dont give in to peer pressure if your friends are with you. It may be fine to do it once in a while, but when you do it all the time bad things can happen. It sounds like you already know and have understood all of this already, but it can't be said enough. Good luck with it all!

Edit: sorry if this is hard to read, i kind of go from one subject to the other, im tired, and I'm not the greatest story writer either :P

Sgt. Spuds
07-09-2006, 01:29 AM
dude, bottom line, parents say no, the answers NO. Of course your gonna have your billy bad ass keyboard commando's that say " dude its your money go buy it, screw what they say " Yea, have fun sleeping in your nice ls1 car, b/c trust me, if I pulled that shit on my dad, that's where I would be living. Now, as far as driving a f-body, I can't disagree more on the points that I have read in the few posts in this thread. I find my car to be one of the easiest cars to drive that I've ever driving. Light clutch, lots of low end to get through any bog you may have b/c your foot slipped lol, I think the visibility is GREAT compared to some things I've drove, the only problem is checking over your left shoulder to see if you have room to get into the left lane, checking your blind spot over the left shoulder requires you to stretch back and look out the hatch, a pita, but worth it. As far as curbs, staying away from a curb isn't hard at all, in any car. But Parking these can be a trick, but your gonna be parking way out anyways to avoid door dings * right? * so don't let it get to ya.

FlashLCD33
07-09-2006, 01:31 AM
I really dont think an LS1 is a good first car, especially for you as i can tell you cant wait to start modding and going faster to kep up with your 11 sec buddy.

I honestly think a 5.9 dakota R/T would be a damn good first car. Big and fairly safe, still has some power, its a truck so you dont have to worry about curbing the car and bumping stuff left n right (youll probably still do it but it wont take damage like an F-Body would). Get the truck for a couple years then move up to a real sorts car

LS1 would not be my first car if I get it. And I will tell you right now there is no way I want to keep up with his car. Riding with him in town is ridiculous... going 50 if he hammers on it he is put sideways. He offered to sell me the car for $10k, and I could have got it but turned it down. I'm not going to go into full details, but i'll say it's a LS1 H/C car, TH400, 9'', fully built and dyno'd by speed inc.

I was really set on the R/T and would have loved to have it, but the guy selling it turned me off of it. If i found another one like it with someone knowledgeable, I would definatly check it out.

Sgt. Spuds
07-09-2006, 01:35 AM
LS1 would not be my first car if I get it. And I will tell you right now there is no way I want to keep up with his car. Riding with him in town is ridiculous... going 50 if he hammers on it he is put sideways. He offered to sell me the car for $10, and I could have got it but turned it down. I'm not going to go into full details, but i'll say it's a LS1 H/C car, TH400, 9'', fully built and dyno'd by speed inc.

I was really set on the R/T and would have loved to have it, but the guy selling it turned me off of it. If i found another one like it with someone knowledgeable, I would definatly check it out.

you mean 10k right?

FlashLCD33
07-09-2006, 01:37 AM
dude, bottom line, parents say no, the answers NO. Of course your gonna have your billy bad ass keyboard commando's that say " dude its your money go buy it, screw what they say " Yea, have fun sleeping in your nice ls1 car, b/c trust me, if I pulled that shit on my dad, that's where I would be living. Now, as far as driving a f-body, I can't disagree more on the points that I have read in the few posts in this thread. I find my car to be one of the easiest cars to drive that I've ever driving. Light clutch, lots of low end to get through any bog you may have b/c your foot slipped lol, I think the visibility is GREAT compared to some things I've drove, the only problem is checking over your left shoulder to see if you have room to get into the left lane, checking your blind spot over the left shoulder requires you to stretch back and look out the hatch, a pita, but worth it. As far as curbs, staying away from a curb isn't hard at all, in any car. But Parking these can be a trick, but your gonna be parking way out anyways to avoid door dings * right? * so don't let it get to ya.

I'm not trying to tell them ''let me get the car or emancipating myself and getting it anyways''. I'm trying to tell them this is what i want, this is why i want it, not buy it for me or i'll cry for days.

I really had no problems driving my friends cars, or the ones i've test drove at a dealership. Checking the blind spot does kind of suck, but I noticed if you do set your mirrors just right you can still see everything with a little bit of head movement.

FlashLCD33
07-09-2006, 01:37 AM
you mean 10k right?
Yeah.. not $10 lol.. it's too late.

Smoke Panther
07-09-2006, 01:42 AM
The problem isn't really the power of it with them.. the main problem is ''it's red''. Now the car isn't red, but they think automatically it's a sports car and just by looking at it a cop will give you 100 tickets. Are you more inclined to get a ticket driving 5 over in a sports car than a family wagon? Probably.. but if you don't give a cop a reason they wont pull you over. For instance a friend in his LS1 bodied WS6 got pulled over because his fog lights were slightly blue... yet tons of family cars have blue lights and tons of cars drive around with blue neons hanging halfway out.

Yea, hop in an F-body as a teen, and you'll never get warnings from the 5-0

infinitebird
07-09-2006, 01:43 AM
stfu spuds, if you can have a fast car why shouldn't he?

fastest94v6
07-09-2006, 02:22 AM
now you said something about "accidents can happen in any car" sure thing that is very true, but to a certain extent. I flipped a friggin minivan when i was 17 ( nothing to be proud of) and i got into a serious accident with my last camaro. But your odds of getting into an accident with an f body, especially an ls1 are greater than normal.

davered00ss
07-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Just show them all the nice LS1's wrecked by 17 year olds. :eyes:

Sgt. Spuds
07-09-2006, 11:04 AM
stfu spuds, if you can have a fast car why shouldn't he?

B/c My parents let me buy it, Im just saying dont make a big deal out of and ruin your relationship with your parents.

As far as warnings, I've been pulled over six times since I Got my lisence in march. 3 times in my T/A, all warnings.

J2Pharren1
07-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Do your best to get an f-bod, and when you do pick up all the chicks you can. If you get into an accident, so what, just have insurance.

Thats the dumbest fucking thing I have ever read. Do you enjoy being a dumbass?

blackbirdls1
07-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah you can pick up the chicks but dont think if you get into accident so what? lol

Mike02Z
07-09-2006, 03:32 PM
bah... screw these guys. Do your best to get an f-bod, and when you do pick up all the chicks you can. If you get into an accident, so what, just have insurance.

I swear these guys are such old men sometimes

Spoken like a true child.

Sure, insurance will pay for everything. Heck, if you get killed insurance will give your parents a big hunk of money so why not tell them that. "Well Mom and Dad, I might die but at least you'll get some money so can I have an LS1 pleeeaaaasssseeee?" :eyes:

Speed Density
07-09-2006, 03:57 PM
As far as warnings, I've been pulled over six times since I Got my lisence in march. 3 times in my T/A, all warnings.

You suck at driving.

Tony.

spare tire
07-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Honestly I would not want an LS1 car for my 1st car. Im 20 and my car still scares me sometimes granted im not the greatest driver and I do my share of stupid things in my car. I can tell you now the cops WILL be all over you. I got pulled over once by 2 cops one in front of me and one behind me for doing " a 200ft burnout :eyes: " When in reality they were cleaning the streets and there was dust on the streets. Gotta love the cops and their awesome judgement. For that I got a careless driving ticket and I lost my liscence.

schmidt69
07-09-2006, 05:17 PM
i know this guy and i think he can handle an ls1, it doesnt matter what you drive you can still get in trouble. look at me for example i had a 97 GMC sierra and i was just fking around with my friends one night and did a burnout and then some guy started following me so i was like fk that and i lost him and it turned out to be a off duty cop in his own vehicle. i got 10 tickets my dad had to bail me out of jail for over 1000 bucks and i had to do 10 days in jail for child endangerment of a 17, just because i was 18.... now i have a 2000 trans am with 410 hp to the wheels and ive never gotten a ticket or even pulled over in it.....its one of those things if the cars nice youll want to baby even more so it last...i pay out the ass for car payments and insurance on my car and my truck almost 700 a month. so if he got an ls1 or an lt1 i think he could afford it for sure and also be responsible with it, which is the most important thing.

we have a friend that rode in my 11 sec car and wanted one right away so he went out and got his mommy to buy him one... the first day he had it he put it in the ditch trying to do a burnout and all he has is a stock lt1. this guy is a complete moron and does not deserve to be driving a t/a he is the complete opposite of flashlcd. hes cocky and flashlcd isnt. he has to show off now matter what and flashlcd doesnt.

me and flashlcd understand that us having a nice car is prove enough that the cars fast and nice we dont have to show off, i have people try to race me all the time and i just blow them off cuz why should i waste my gas to prove that my cars fast when i know it is, if we want to race we can go to the drag strip its only 40 min away

StealthZ06
07-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I remember a someone saying it doesn't matter what car you give your kid they are going to test out the limits. Would you rather them do it in a 150hp honda, or a 350rwhp sports car. Exactly.

You suck at driving.

Tony.

Yup! If he's really been pulled over 6 times since march it's only a matter of time.

idrivefast22
07-09-2006, 06:25 PM
i know this guy and i think he can handle an ls1, it doesnt matter what you drive you can still get in trouble. look at me for example i had a 97 GMC sierra and i was just fking around with my friends one night and did a burnout and then some guy started following me so i was like fk that and i lost him and it turned out to be a off duty cop in his own vehicle. i got 10 tickets my dad had to bail me out of jail for over 1000 bucks and i had to do 10 days in jail for child endangerment of a 17, just because i was 18.... now i have a 2000 trans am with 410 hp to the wheels and ive never gotten a ticket or even pulled over in it.....its one of those things if the cars nice youll want to baby even more so it last...i pay out the ass for car payments and insurance on my car and my truck almost 700 a month. so if he got an ls1 or an lt1 i think he could afford it for sure and also be responsible with it, which is the most important thing.

we have a friend that rode in my 11 sec car and wanted one right away so he went out and got his mommy to buy him one... the first day he had it he put it in the ditch trying to do a burnout and all he has is a stock lt1. this guy is a complete moron and does not deserve to be driving a t/a he is the complete opposite of flashlcd. hes cocky and flashlcd isnt. he has to show off now matter what and flashlcd doesnt.

me and flashlcd understand that us having a nice car is prove enough that the cars fast and nice we dont have to show off, i have people try to race me all the time and i just blow them off cuz why should i waste my gas to prove that my cars fast when i know it is, if we want to race we can go to the drag strip its only 40 min away

I've got a friend from Salina that i'm going to go see up there once i get done with all the regular maintenance crap on my LS1(needs new tires, brake pads, etc)...good to hear that theres a drag strip only 40 minutes away. I prob won't run my car, seeing as how im' gonna be driving it up there and having to drive it ALL the way back to Dothan, AL( which is almost a 20hr drive i think) but i'll def. have to go check it out...

Zadens01Z28
07-09-2006, 06:41 PM
JESUS Read the friggin post people! IT'S NOT HIS FIRST CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that's all thanks

redbanditz28
07-09-2006, 06:42 PM
As far as i am concerned, that is nothing more than generalizing saying that 17 year olds are all bad drivers. Inexperienced, yes. But only some more than others. I got a 98 Z28 when i got my license at 17 and i was a great driver then, and still am now at 23. Never had any close calls, nor accidents, nor speeding tickets. Everyone is different. Plus i live in the most densely populated state in america, in one of the most densely populated parts of that state, I did fine. That must say something. You can call it luck or just good driving. when my parents took me to the dealership, they refused to let me get a V6. They actually wanted me to get a V8. I help out with insurance and already paid my portion of the car off. I am sure if you convince your parents that you will be careful, they should give in. The thing is, keep your end of the bargain. Worse comes to worse, at least let them give you a chance, and if you screw up, they can take it away from you and sell it. They should at least give you a chance.

Speed Density
07-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I got my 93' Z when i was 16, im nowing coming up on 18 and i have 1 ticket for "Insufficent Muffler" thats it. Got it in January of this year.

Tony.

Splitz
07-09-2006, 07:35 PM
OK, couldn't keep my mouth shut anymore.

If you respect your parents at ALL, you will respect their decision for them NOT to want you to get a LS1. They aren't trying to be "mean" "nasty" "hateful" or anything of the sort. They are looking out for your WELL BEING!

I have children now, and understandy why my parents asked me not to do something, no matter HOW bad I wanted something. IF you get the car, it could cause problems down the road. Wait until after you graduate high school and move out of the house, then IT's YOUR MONEY and YOUR INSURANCE , YOUR RENT, YOUR COLLEGE TUITION, etc etc etc.

Just my $.02

yak
07-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I got my formula when I was 17, it was my first car. I drive it like an ass. it was cool passing a string of 10 cars on the way to school one morning on a 120 blast only to find out some of the cars were my teachers, (by far the stupidist thing I have done in my car) other than that it is possible to get an ls1 at a young age. yes you WILL have an experimental phase where you do stupid stuff in it. but, tell your parents it will be a hobby to work on rather than going out and wasting your money on crack, thats what I said.

StealthZ06
07-10-2006, 12:02 AM
As far as i am concerned, that is nothing more than generalizing saying that 17 year olds are all bad drivers. Inexperienced, yes. But only some more than others. I got a 98 Z28 when i got my license at 17 and i was a great driver then, and still am now at 23. Never had any close calls, nor accidents, nor speeding tickets. Everyone is different. Plus i live in the most densely populated state in america, in one of the most densely populated parts of that state, I did fine. That must say something. You can call it luck or just good driving. when my parents took me to the dealership, they refused to let me get a V6. They actually wanted me to get a V8. I help out with insurance and already paid my portion of the car off. I am sure if you convince your parents that you will be careful, they should give in. The thing is, keep your end of the bargain. Worse comes to worse, at least let them give you a chance, and if you screw up, they can take it away from you and sell it. They should at least give you a chance.

You can argue all you want, but the simple facts are the Camaro/Firebird make up 2 of the 4 deadliest cars ever. You are more likely to die in a Camaro/Firebird than almost any other car on the road.

camscam02
07-10-2006, 12:59 AM
I got a 02 SS when i first turned 16 and i had my license for a month and i thought i was a great driver! but me bein an idiot was fucking around a lost control and hit a car! it sure shows me and now im the try to be the most cautious driver now and really dont fuck around im kinda glad it happened and taught me a lesson! if you do get one dont fuck around but at the race track not on the streets! they are a hand full even stock!

smok'nZ
07-10-2006, 01:38 AM
what it all comes down to is what you parents will let you buy and what you want not what everyone is telling you! before i turn 18 ill have a 408ci Z28 in the 10's with a 200 shot as long as you can control yourself and not make a race everytime you get in the car it will be a nice 1 car!

SHINER
07-10-2006, 01:52 AM
tell them they get great gas mileage b/c of the power to weight ratio!

camar0corey
07-10-2006, 02:26 AM
If you can get it good on you. I have to agree with age though. I never was in trouble, great grades etc. Guess what FL sent me a little letter reminding me that I was one point away from loosing my liscence. Yeah here is my history:
1st car 86 v6 5 speed Camaro -5 tickets 17-19yrs. old
2nd car 83 Z28 -Remanufactured heads/cam 350 rebuilt 700R4 19-20
3rd car 94 z28 6speed. No tickets.
So I'm glad that I started low, cause if I had a v8 when young I probably would have wrecked, even though else wise in life I was very responsible.
So do whatever you want. If your wallet takes the hit due to tickets it may or maynot happen. Do what makes you happy. I was happy that I got to learn on a 86, it sucked to part with it, but I didn't mind that I got rid of the rust bucket.

camar0corey
07-10-2006, 04:42 AM
eh just use the cruise control is you get the ls1, I think that saves my ass alot in the 94.

Mike02Z
07-10-2006, 05:07 AM
and look at the signature of this fucker... a true man of safety

what does that speedo read again?

but its ok because you are so much more mature than a 17 year old

It's a photochop genius! Your also very mature with your retorts. :eyes:

indyjps
07-10-2006, 07:16 AM
my first car was a 69 camaro i bought in '90. I bought it with on a loan from my aunt and worked it off $6 a freaking hour. by the time i was 17 i built it to run 12's and drove it every day in the summer, 12's with a small block and a carb is much more of a handful for a daily driver than a 12 sec ls1 car. i bought 5.0 beaters to drive in the snow, never wrecked the camaro and still have it. if its your money get what you want and learn to take care of it.

J2Pharren1
07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
ah the safety and security of the internet

like i said before... do what you can, try and get the car, these guys think they are tough shit cuz than can drive an ls1 and think you have to be some kind of superhero to drive a v8... just dont be a dumbass and you are all set, accidents happen

everyones gotta start out somewhere

Once again, you are a fucking moron, stop talking. Better yet go get yourself killed since thats what insurance is for.

Camaroz
07-10-2006, 10:54 AM
B/c My parents let me buy it, Im just saying dont make a big deal out of and ruin your relationship with your parents.The same parent's who live in a trailor and Lower a 3500 Dually? :lol:

As far as warnings, I've been pulled over six times since I Got my lisence in march. 3 times in my T/A, all warnings.You've also jumped your car into a fucking corn field! I've had my LS1 ( faster than your car btw spuds :nod: ) for a year now and I haven't been pulled over once.

Oh and BTW for the 100th time you can't drive for shit Spuds. You suck at life. :jest:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/chadtx01/spudsemocopy.jpg

Your picture says it all Spuds.

gi8e7oi825
07-10-2006, 11:02 AM
I begged my parents. It annoyed them to the point where they just said "fuck it" and bought the damned thing. I was 19 at the time.

Daniel P.
07-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Just work like a dog, thats what I did. Hey optimus prime I'm from Mankato do you know whee thats at, and flashlcd33 where in kansas are you

pHEnomIC
07-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Well at 16, I was driving my dads weekend car, lexus es300, on a daily basis so he let me use his daily driver instead, an Accord. The accord was destroyed: trans almost dead, axle problem, major exhaust leak (sounded cool), smoke out of exhaust, etc, i remember it had a lot of problems that i couldnt even list.

I told my parents up front, it would probably cost as much as a nicer car just to fix up the honda. They told me to get used to the roads for a little while longer and to look around. I wanted to get a celica w/ stick but parents hated it. My dad said "Those are pussy cars, get a trans am or mustang". I was looking at some T/A's and ended up buying a higher mileage 97 Z/28 A4. Over the next year or so, I fixed that car up a lot, learned the roads,all the stuff. That car did get dinged and pinged in parking lots and man was i pissed, but I fixed it up really nice.

Parents didn't like me working on the car but respected that I did care for my car so they offered to help me a bit on a newer one that would require less work. Ended up with an 02 SOM T/a, m6 :)

My suggestion is: Learn to drive a few years on a different car (looks like you already got the truck), then show your parents how much you respect/appreciate your ride and they will give in. It also helps that I don't have any accidents and/or tickets and I don't give them much trouble.-

aaron653
07-10-2006, 03:07 PM
i was 17 when I bought mine, we saw it on autotrader and I called and talked to the dealer. I showed the ad to my dad and said "I really like this car"
he said "ok, if you pay for my gas to take you down there"(about 200 miles away) we drove down there and looked it over and drove it and we both liked it so I payed cash(that i'd been saving) for it. of course my dad thought it just had a "350"

J2Pharren1
07-10-2006, 03:48 PM
hey, go take your pos mustang and get fucked

lol, looks like I hit this dipshits nerve.

mfklein24
07-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I am trying to get a 1988 iroc for another vehicle i have a 93 blazer now and just want something a little nicer and not so rusty. the body mounts are actually rusted out. Its only 1000 dollars and in not too bad condition. Its something that will be nice but not great. Won't matter if it gets beat up a little and i will be able to do some work on it. Like the wiring for the cooling fans is messed up so that needs replaced, tach not workin, needs exhaust and tires but its not too bad so i will see if i can convince mom or not.

Speed Density
07-10-2006, 04:59 PM
The same parent's who live in a trailor and Lower a 3500 Dually? :lol:

You've also jumped your car into a fucking corn field! I've had my LS1 ( faster than your car btw spuds :nod: ) for a year now and I haven't been pulled over once.

Oh and BTW for the 100th time you can't drive for shit Spuds. You suck at life. :jest:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/chadtx01/spudsemocopy.jpg

Your picture says it all Spuds.

I cant breathe, thats so-damn-FUNNY!

Mike02Z
07-10-2006, 06:16 PM
really? a photochop? i thought you really managed to get a spedometer pegged out in front of two camaros with one sitting on top of the other

Yea, next you'll say you didn't actually believe I had my car to 155. I guess that is why you mentioned how safety conscience I was. I mean I must really throw caution to the wind if I phtochop the needles on a speedometer at their max point. :eyes: Nice try at playing off the fact that you have no clue.

Can you at least try and debate without dropping the f bomb all over the place? Again you are just showing your utter lack of maturity. I will not respond any further to your childish ramblings so why don't you go play in the sandbox with the other children on your block and leave us alone. :judge:

Urban Legend
07-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I do not care what you say, you are not ready for an LS1 powered car unless you have been driving race cars since age 7. Start on the bottom then move your way up. Patience my friend. Patience.

yak
07-10-2006, 08:32 PM
look man it sucks I did this a year ago, I was 17 and had just got my lisence. told my parents I wouldn't fuck around with the car and I wouldn't speed. worked my ass off. I put gas in it, pay insurence and a car payment, aswell as mod it. just be presistant and show that you really really want one.

FlashLCD33
07-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I cant breathe, thats so-damn-FUNNY!

Very true.. very true.. :cry:

You guys seem to be turning this into a 2-sided shit fest. The guys who got em young are glad and seem to not be having problems, and the guys who's parents made them wait are now resentful and want everyone else to suffer.

Mike02Z
07-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Very true.. very true.. :cry:

You guys seem to be turning this into a 2-sided shit fest. The guys who got em young are glad and seem to not be having problems, and the guys who's parents made them wait are now resentful and want everyone else to suffer.

I think it's a lot of power for a 17 year old. He is probably more mature than I was at 17 but I know when I first started driving I was a total as*hole behind the wheel and I think the majority of teenagers can be a little nuts behind the wheel. I think a lot of it is just you feel untouchable when your 16-18 and add that to a 300+ HP car and sometimes it can lead to bad things. I almost killed myself several times in a big ol 150 HP Buick Electra 225 when I was 17. I surely would have hurt someone or myslef if I had double the HP and 1/2 the weight.

I guess it is unfair to judge this guy just due to his age. I just see a lot of these cars in bad shape and a dumb mistake in one of these cars can have much more serious consequences than in a car with 100 HP. Maybe I am just an old man who has lost touch with what it was like to be young. :(

yak
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
another thing, lida are going to drive like assholes when they first getthier lisences, fuck i'll top out my moms minivan at 105 for all I care. i'm sure most other 17 year olds will do that too. mind as well let them do it in something at is designed to go that fast.

Camaro Z28 Dude
07-11-2006, 05:08 AM
They also think I am just going to go out and get 100 tickets, tear the shit out of the car, and kill myself in it.

Well statistically speaking, you do have a pretty good chance of doing that... :jest:

FlashLCD33
07-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Statistics suck :judge:

kyle91z28
07-11-2006, 08:01 PM
17 may be too young for an LS1, but it's not like its a viper. If I were you i'd make sure you put the car in your parents name. I would normally pay 300$ a month insurance on my 91 z28, but since it's in my mom's name it's 34$ a month full coverage.

My friend who bought his 99 Ws6 when he was 19 was paying 350$ a month insurance, but now that he's 21 he'll be paying like 150$ a month, so i'd wait until you're in your 20's to start putting stuff in your name.

People shouldn't tell you to wait to buy an LS1 anyhow. It's your life, live it how you want to. They aren't that hard of a car to drive if you actually pay attention. Plus you already said you'd keep it in the garage on rainy and snowy days. The ls1s I have been in aren't really even that bad in the rain if you don't try to race people and be in a hurry everywhere. The snow, I sure know my 91 is terrible in the snow, so I just don't drive it in the snow.

fastest94v6
07-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Yea, next you'll say you didn't actually believe I had my car to 155. I guess that is why you mentioned how safety conscience I was. I mean I must really throw caution to the wind if I phtochop the needles on a speedometer at their max point. :eyes: Nice try at playing off the fact that you have no clue.

Can you at least try and debate without dropping the f bomb all over the place? Again you are just showing your utter lack of maturity. I will not respond any further to your childish ramblings so why don't you go play in the sandbox with the other children on your block and leave us alone. :judge:

why are you guys even arguing...this is ls1tech not vtech

crzytown69
07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
you should wate till you wreck a few cars.... the ls1 is alot of power .... not saying you cant drive or that you dont know what power is... but every guy i know including myself has wrecked their first car and why kill another f-bdy .... plus insurance is gonna be more than the car payment.... oh and dont put it in some one else name to drop your insurance because if you wreck it they dont have to pay for it to get fixed if you where driving it and your mom is the only one who is " driving it"

transambandit
07-12-2006, 10:36 PM
dont buy the RT! it get horrible gas mileage!!! Way worse than the ls1 will.

streetassasin
07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Let me put it too you this way if I had an LS1 car a few months ago I prolly wouldnt be here today. I was racing a civic and a mustang in my RS on a long strech or highway me and the stang were dead even at 115mph the civic wasd alkin both of us and had too be doing at least 130 a curve came up and he rolled while me and the mustang were sliding through the curve we almost lost it but the civic did hit the gaurd rail and flipped arcoss the highway. In the tine it took for me too hit 115 if I way in a LS1 I would have been doing 150+. And would have ate it wourse than the civic. Heres a link too the full story http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508464&highlight=horrible+wreck Just be safe no matter what you do.

natronathon
07-12-2006, 11:58 PM
we wont talk you out of getting an LS1 fbody, cause we can't. I got mine as my second car when I was 18. It was a huge step up from my ranger, but there was an important similarity... RWD. Granted there was a HUGE power difference, and I'm still a little scared of my LS1 power.

I thought i was an AWESOME driver. I could easily fish-tail my ranger without remorse. After having my LS1 for 3 weeks, I fish-tailed it into a ditch, and that pride/driving lesson cost me 1100 to fix. When you get your car be careful. And remember, if you get pulled over for speeding in an ls1 fbody, YOU WILL GET A TICKET, IT CAN NOT BE TALKED OUT OF... not for speeding anyway... lol

oneBADDz
07-13-2006, 12:07 AM
I bought my 97 LT1 M6 Z28 when I was 17. My parents didn't know what it was, and they didn't care, it was my money. There were quite a few of us with these cars in HS and my car, no kidding, was the only one that made it out of high school with us. The average kid doesn't deserve one at that age. You think you'll be ok, everyone thinks that. You'll think there's no way it will happen to you, but more often than not it does. Believe me, not showing off in high school is impossible, people you didn't even know existed before you got the car will all the sudden be your friends and want a ride. . .and you'll take them for a ride and show off. Random rednecks standing on the street corner will give you the infamous "rip shit" signal with their arms (you'll learn it) and you'll show off. EVery ricer in your town and half of them from neighboring towns will talk so much shit about how they can whoop your ass you won't believe it, and you'll race them to show off. You think you won't? You will be surprised how often you will hear "I heard so and so whooped your ass" when you don't even know who the kid is and have never seen his car before. It's rediculous the extent this stuff goes to, high school isn't the place for these cars because of stuff like that

Jakson
07-13-2006, 01:23 AM
Z-driver brought up really good points. I am glad that i bought my LS1 after the school year got out. Like he said, at school you will want to show off to everyone. Granted, i still see alot of people from school in the summer, and i do show it off a bit, but not enough so i get tickets and/or wreck my car. Had it still be in the school year, i wouldn't doubt it that id have a ticket or two by now because there was always a cop sitting outside the parking lot at school. So i will have all summer to keep getting used to my car. I live in a small town, and pretty much everyone knows about my car, they all know what it can do just from what little i have shown. So the pressure to show off now, is pretty much gone. Luckily i don't have any tickets yet or even been pulled over. I've done most my power experimenting on open roads and in empty lots with no negative results, besides my rear tires being killed :bang: If you do get it, when you want to test the limits (because you will want to) just know that the area is safe and secluded before you start messing around so you don't put other people in danger. Start off easy, respect the power and just be responsible about it.
I say keep trying for it, and again good luck with it all.

Jakson

NBMgreg
07-13-2006, 03:33 AM
i got my LS1 the last semester of senior year, which was just like a year and a half ago... and i wouldnt change a thing. i had a 1990 240sx before that, with probably 120hp, so going from that to the ls1 was a huge jump, but nothing uncontrollable... if you have any type of common sense there should be no problem "controlling" an ls1, its not a damn 1200hp drag car or anything :confused: its just a decently quick car, and like i said... if you have any common sense, you should know that traction is limited at high rpm's, and that gas pedal+turns = no good etc... just be careful, take it easy for a couple weeks, and slowly start learning the car and its limits.

as for convincing your parents... show them some of these comments from people who actually OWN the car you want, and how many of us have had them at a young age, and have not done anything terribly stupid.

as for me, ive gotten 1 speeding ticket on the highway, going 10mph over, but that could have happened in any car, regardless of the make or model. like i said, dont be scared of the damn car, and just take it as it is, a car. it drives just like anything else on the road.

NBMgreg
07-13-2006, 03:36 AM
forgot to mention what has probably been stated before... try and keep the car low-key around school, those damn highschoolers get very jealous and i'd hate to see another fbod get keyed/kicked etc.

sgt0704
07-13-2006, 07:28 PM
The worst thing about it is the "deal" i have with my mom is the car is sold if get a ticket, no questions asked.

if my kid came to me with that deal, i would let them get an ls1. that's a hell of an agreement, cause you know if you fuck up, that car is gone.

if they don't let you have it at 17, wait another year, save up some money, and buy it for yourself as a bday present when you turn 18. fuckem if they cant take a joke.

HD1911
07-13-2006, 08:06 PM
haha you will get a ticket...its just a matter of when...sorry to jinx you....you can knock on wood if you like. There is no 17 year old on this earth that will have enough self-restraint/control to avoid getting a ticket in an f-body. I could be wrong, but thats how i was at that age...fuck the world, i am invincible :devil:

crzytown69
07-13-2006, 09:09 PM
haha you will get a ticket...its just a matter of when...sorry to jinx you....you can knock on wood if you like. There is no 17 year old on this earth that will have enough self-restraint/control to avoid getting a ticket in an f-body. I could be wrong, but thats how i was at that age...fuck the world, i am invincible :devil:

lmao :hail: :hail: :hail: :jest: :hail: :hail:

Camaroz
07-13-2006, 09:59 PM
haha you will get a ticket...its just a matter of when...sorry to jinx you....you can knock on wood if you like. There is no 17 year old on this earth that will have enough self-restraint/control to avoid getting a ticket in an f-body. I could be wrong, but thats how i was at that age...fuck the world, i am invincible :devil:knock on wood motherfucker im 17 and still no tickets thankfully :) I'll be 18 in december

HD1911
07-13-2006, 10:05 PM
knock on wood motherfucker im 17 and still no tickets thankfully :) I'll be 18 in december

Just give it time son....

KevsfastZ
07-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I was in the same boat as you, my dad knew exactly what the car is like and how fast it was (older brothers had them) and he wouldnít let me get one if my life depended on it, so I got a old beater car and just saved money and showed my dad rather then telling him that I am responsible and can handle the car. So a few months ago I threw the idea past him again and he was game with it, telling me that he knows Iíve been working hard and thinks I deserve it. Now Iíve graduated high school a month ago and Ill be 18 in 6 days at that time, with all my hard earned money well spent, the 02 z28 that I purchased will be in rolling up in my driveway.

Kevin D

blackbirdls1
07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
18, no tickets yet, not even pulled over for anything.

caseball2051
07-13-2006, 11:25 PM
17 no tickets. but i have a 305 ahahahaahhaha i would get tickets in an LS1. my budddy got a 1000$ worth last week

SexyAssFormula
07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
17, no tickets yet.................................In the Formula. 3 in the V6 (All in one stop, 2 were dismissed in court).

CockerKid009
07-13-2006, 11:57 PM
i'm still 15. 16 in late august, and i know everyone on here is going to give me hell about this but i bought an LS1. its a 99 red TA A4. i wanted stick but it was such a sweet deal i couldnt pass it up. 50 yr. old woman 1 owner 20450 miles $12900. I have worked for 3 years at a lawn mowing buisness i started 5 yrs. ago. I started w/ 2 push mowers and now own 2 riders 3 push mowers and countless weed wackers and leaf blowers. 3 yrs. ago i new i wanted a nice car and started saving. My parents saw how many years i had been working for this and finally let me go for it. i pay for gas and go 1/2 n 1/2 w/ my parents for insurance, so i pay about 150 monthly plus gas since i bought the car outright with CASH. MY CASH. i don't claim to be near experienced enough to handle an LS1 at it's limits. I'll admit it, the car is probably too much for most 16 yr. olds. but i have worked my ass off, started a small company from the ground up, and am the owner and operator- so if i want to take 3 yrs. earnings and go buy an LS1 i feel like i have the right to. Part of the reason my parents let me get it is because i take care of it. my brother drives the hell out of his POS 96 grand prix and has already wrecked it once, but when its me that paid all of that 12900 plus tax title license and gas and 1/2 insurance im able to keep my cool when the bastard sr. in his 450rwhp 5.0 gives er the juice next to me. ive just worked too hard to pull a dumbass move in this car. just my 2 cents. he'll smoke me anyways

CockerKid009
07-14-2006, 12:01 AM
hahaah and i like how NBMgreg was on LS1tech.com at 3:30 in the morning leaving posts

GreaseMonkey83
07-14-2006, 12:33 AM
damn, you guys havent got any tickets yet? i had my liscence suspended 3 times blew up over 4 motors and prabably spent over 1500 dollars on tickets by the time i was 18... and all i drove was a 84 4 cyl cavalier and a 87 1.6 liter MR2.... i cant even imagine what wouldve happened if i had my ws6 back then.

natronathon
07-14-2006, 12:44 AM
i've gotten some... it's almost inevitable... and if you aren't driving it in a way that will get you a ticket every once in awhile, then why get one? They weren't built to be pampered ALL the time! :devil:

sgt0704
07-14-2006, 01:40 AM
hahaah and i like how NBMgreg was on LS1tech.com at 3:30 in the morning leaving posts

when you live in arizona, there isn't shit else to do.

FlashLCD33
07-14-2006, 03:34 AM
Actually me and a friend (who drives like a fucking idiot) had this thing goin.. where we thought he was getting out of all of his tickets because of the car. In his monte carlo every time he was pulled over he was ticketed. Well we were pulled over 4 times for things like speeding, no turn signal, etc.. and never got ticketed. This was all going good till he got a ticket for 34 in a 20.. but that's a no brainer. Shouldn't have been driving that fast is all.

I think my mom is leaning more towards it now. I spent $36 in gas going to work and back for 4 days and not driving around in my vehicle at all. I drive in hers because mine is too expensive just to cruise in. Now, I always have paid for gas in my vehicle ($10 a day basically) but in protest for me to get a new car I've been telling her she can take me to work (4:30AM sometimes) or pay for the gas in my vehicle. She's been letting me drive hers, and been paying for gas in mine. I can tell it's working because she hates to drive mine because of no AC, rough idle, rough running, and $$mpg$$. After showing her exactly what I want (the car, and some wheels for it) I think she is seeing that I'm not just trying to get one because my friends have them, but because I actually want one. While I research on ls1tech, my friends are out tearing the shit out of the fbodys their parents bought them. Tschmidt is my only friend that pays for his own stuff, and his 11 sec TA sure is quick :eek2:

My mom found the car most reasonable tonight when I showed her an insurance quote. Before, if I was even on the car it was $250 through our current company. Now with me as primary on the car and my mom primary on her vehicle it is $200 a month full coverage. If we add my beater vehicle and put me as primary on it it is only $130 a month for the 3, and i'd have the beater for winter. We currently pay $130 a month just for our 2 jeeps. As soon as we add the house to this policy we'll get another discount, so it should be an obvious answer. We'll have an exact quote from an agent tomorrow.

I'm hoping she'll pull the money out of savings and just buy the car outright for me so we have the title in hand and I can do a couple mods before starting to pay for it (long tubes, catback, and lid). Also, i'm looking foward to write-offs for graduation, birthday, Christmas, etc :)

FlashLCD33
07-14-2006, 03:34 AM
when you live in arizona, there isn't shit else to do.
Same with kansas..

NBMgreg
07-14-2006, 03:51 AM

hahahahhaha ok? what does that have to do with anything? lol :confused:

NBMgreg
07-14-2006, 03:52 AM
look, its 2am!!!

z_speedfreak
07-14-2006, 07:21 AM
wel it sounds like you might get it after all. but you will prolly want to take that loan out and have your 'rents co-sign, you've got to start building credit up some time, just pay it off real quick if you can. i payed off my $8k loan within a year of buying my Z so i saved allot on the interest, but it was rough, specialy when i started getting ticketed left and right(i started pulling over for cops, too nice of a car to risk it) i had thousands in fines and when winter came i could just barley manage to hold on to it. and i wouldnt start modding it until you get it payed for entirely and until you get used to the power, im sure its more than enough for you to handle in stock trim. goodluck getting one tho, please dont wreck it.. i had the mis-fortune last month of seeing an 18y/o go fishtailing WOT into a tree with his new LS1 his parents had just bought him for graduation :-/

zboner
07-14-2006, 07:29 AM
dont buy one plane and simple, your friends will always pressure you into doing something stupid with the car, or your friends wont respect what you have and will end up tearing the car up(like every high school kid does) also think of all the bad drivers u have to park next to in your school parking lot?? all those young girls that just got there DL's???? i say hold off another year or two untill u get out of high school and in college that is what i did, hell i waited untill my second year of college to get one.

also all the money u will spend, im going broke trying to pay for it, because i cant keep the car stock, i have to keep modding the car for some reason and i cant figure it out.

but which ever option u decide to go with good luck man

ZTwentyAteU
07-15-2006, 11:43 PM
you might last at most a few weeks and you will end up running the hell outta it, thats what I always did! I've had 19 cars(bought, drove, sold) and i'm 20. i'd say buy cheaper cars, do a few things, sell, and work yourway up to an ls1 car. loans suck. i had a slow 92rs as my first and i never street raced, but i burned a lot of tires! after payinhg for stuff, you get a better appreciation, and you will eventually grow up, i know i have...but i still have the urge.if you get one, remember there is a time and place to act stupid, dont do it in the middle of town. thats all i got to say. be good

Vendetta
07-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Don't. Start with a V6.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
07-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Mod.... please lock thread. This is gay.

No teenager needs a sports car. They need to work and build character. Everyone here knows what they were like when they were a teen. You think you can handle it, but, you can't. Your capacity is limited. You aren't grown. Maybe you are better compared to other teens your age, but you are ignorant compared to the skilled, experienced driver.

I can not tell you how many teens have almost slammed into the back of my car because they werent paying attention or have wrecked on main street from trying to drive like an Indy car to impress girls. It pisses me off when I come off night shift and I have to deal with that shit.

HD1911
07-16-2006, 02:31 AM

No teenager needs a sports car. They need to work and build character. Everyone here knows what they were like when they were a teen. You think you can handle it, but, you can't. Your capacity is limited. You aren't grown. Maybe you are better compared to other teens your age, but you are ignorant compared to the skilled, experienced driver.

I can not tell you how many teens have almost slammed into the back of my car because they werent paying attention or have wrecked on main street from trying to drive like an Indy car to impress girls. It pisses me off when I come off night shift and I have to deal with that shit.

haha.... I agree :sucks: .... :stupid:

kenkaru
07-16-2006, 03:34 AM
Dude, get a V6 Fbody and if you want, put some money into handling and other stuff you can someday transfer to a v8 if you wish.

with a v6, WHEN (not if) you crash, you'll have a better chance of surviving because you won't be going as fast. I definitely wouldn't have survived if I had an LS1 before I was 21.

More detailed: You're going to want to race some moron down the backroads (or highway) and you're going to get so caught up in the moment, you'll go into a corner too fast and BAM! Your car, your passenger, and you are dead. With a V6, you'll have several similar experiences except you'll only be going a little too fast instead of 50mph too fast.

Even racecar drivers start out with slow cars.

Rabada
07-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Dude, get a V6 Fbody and if you want, put some money into handling and other stuff you can someday transfer to a v8 if you wish.

with a v6, WHEN (not if) you crash, you'll have a better chance of surviving because you won't be going as fast. I definitely wouldn't have survived if I had an LS1 before I was 21.

More detailed: You're going to want to race some moron down the backroads (or highway) and you're going to get so caught up in the moment, you'll go into a corner too fast and BAM! Your car, your passenger, and you are dead. With a V6, you'll have several similar experiences except you'll only be going a little too fast instead of 50mph too fast.

Even racecar drivers start out with slow cars.

I have to completely disagree. I have been driving powerfull V-8's since I got my lisence. In fact, I learned how to drive in a 95 camaro z28. The only vehicle that I was involved in a wreck in was a durango on black ice. When it hit the tree, I was going approximately 10 mph. currently I drive an automatic V6 bird and I can't stand it. It is so boring. I never get into races. ( no one ever tries to iniate one with me) Get what your heart desires, not what other people tell you to get, and above all, don't be stupid. If you parents don't want you to do something in your car, there is a good reason.

kenkaru
07-16-2006, 07:43 AM
I have to completely disagree. I have been driving powerfull V-8's since I got my lisence. In fact, I learned how to drive in a 95 camaro z28. The only vehicle that I was involved in a wreck in was a durango on black ice. When it hit the tree, I was going approximately 10 mph. currently I drive an automatic V6 bird and I can't stand it. It is so boring. I never get into races. ( no one ever tries to iniate one with me) Get what your heart desires, not what other people tell you to get, and above all, don't be stupid. If you parents don't want you to do something in your car, there is a good reason.
So you're recommending a 350hp sports car (with handling disproportionate to its power) to a 17 yr old and one of the reasons you promote the V8 for him is so he can get into street races. :eek2: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Vendetta
07-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Agreed 100%. I remember perfectly seeing the brand new 2001 NBM Z28 when I went to buy a car. I wanted it so bad. I ended up with an older V6. I was pissed at the time, but it turned out excellent and I'm glad that I started off with a slower car.

sgt0704
07-16-2006, 12:02 PM
it's almost like a new motorcycle rider starting out on an 06 hayabusa. yeah, it's a cool bike, but no one's gonna know what it looked like, or what you looked like when you wrap yourself around a tree. start slow, then move your way up.

i would honestly recommend getting a thirdgen. the body style is sweet, you can pick one up in decent shape pretty cheap, and you can still make decent power.

WinSomeLoseNone
07-16-2006, 02:26 PM

Or first 2, Make sure you dont have the stupid gene. I do and it frequently results in stupid things on my part.

I had to go in order had a 4 then 6 a now an 8

Look just tell them what I did to justify the ls1. That my first two cars were SLOW. therefore the only fun thing we could do was Rip E-Brake going 70. Then the stupid gene pushed me into a 85 mph slide into a mailbox. Actually I managed to walk a 2000 grandam GT going about 65 backwards off the main road perfectly down a driveway across their yard and an alley then across another driveway into a mailbox. Ripped the back 2 wheels off my grand am. The saturn was killed when we removed the manifold and shoved an aluminum pipe into the port on the head then proceded to launch hotdogs, potatos, eggs, and a bananna. Survived until we poured octan booster into the head.
It was fun though. I mean i pain $50.00 for a saturn with 230,000 miles so i didnt care

Rabada
07-17-2006, 08:36 AM
So you're recommending a 350hp sports car (with handling disproportionate to its power) to a 17 yr old and one of the reasons you promote the V8 for him is so he can get into street races. :eek2: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

That was poorly phrased, what I meant to say is that with my current car, a firebird, no ricers or anyone seems to want to race me. Even if they did try to race me I would not race them. Thus it seems to me that it would not take much effort to not get involved in street races. I didn't find an LT-1 that difficult to handle, and I don't see a stock LS-1 as much more difficult. I have also had the chance to drive a LT-1 corvette a few times when I was seventeen and yet again no one tried to race me, and I would never try to race anybody.

TheBlurLS1
07-17-2006, 08:57 AM
I got my Camaro at 17, and I've never even been ticketed in it for any reason. :)

It was 3 days before my 18th birthday. I have been around racing from motocross to dirt track for most of my life so it wasn't a big shocker for me. Every person is different, you can't just say "You're 17, so you can't have.....", it's a little too generalized. I had a few buddies in high school that I wouldn't let drive my damn Saturn, then a few more that I would let take my car out no questions asked if they would have wanted to. Those same people I'd treat the same way today.

Is a 12 second car safe for most 17 year olds? No. Is it safe for some? Yes.

I mellow'd out an incredible amount after I got my LSx car. I used to drive like a nutt-case in my s-10, I hardly break the speed limit in this thing. Something about becoming more mature I guess. Not all people react this way, some do. I'm sure some of you people who are saying NO do so because you have kids of your own, but I'm not to that point yet. :)

CodyB4C
07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
If you want a ls1 get a ls1. you may not be able to get it any time soon but save up and in a year or so you may be able to buy one. Your parents should understand (hopefully) mostly if you can pay cash for it. I bought my lt1 and paid cash for it when i was a junior in high school. Hopefully your parents will help you though so you can get one a lot sooner. Good luck and keep us informed.

mccollum_007
07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Take it from me (I was 17 when I got my Z28) it can be challenging to talk them in to it but it can be done. Just show them you are a responsible driver and if they are worried about you speeding let them know you plan to take full responsibility for any tickets/insurance that comes with it. Then you get into the fun world of mods and they'll break ya faster than you know it. I swore I was going to keep mine stock when I bought it and that lasted about 3 weeks:D First it was wheels/tires then it led to performance crap and so on, I've only had the car about 6 months and its already pretty much a full boltons car and I'm already shopping for my next mod...They're fun cars enjoy it while your young!

kenkaru
07-17-2006, 12:42 PM
I got my Camaro at 17, and I've never even been ticketed in it for any reason. :)

It was 3 days before my 18th birthday. I have been around racing from motocross to dirt track for most of my life so it wasn't a big shocker for me. ...
Yes, there are some 17yr olds who can handle an LS1. All of them have prior experience in motorsports too.
Did you start out on a 250cc dirt bike?
Would you recommend a 700cc sled to a newby?
Are ABEC 7's good for novice rollerbladers?
...learn to shoot with a Desert Eagle?

An LS1 is not a good vehicle for MOST 17 year olds. It's an individual judgement call.

TheBlurLS1
07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Yes, there are some 17yr olds who can handle an LS1. All of them have prior experience in motorsports too.
Did you start out on a 250cc dirt bike?
Would you recommend a 700cc sled to a newby?
Are ABEC 7's good for novice rollerbladers?
...learn to shoot with a Desert Eagle?

An LS1 is not a good vehicle for MOST 17 year olds. It's an individual judgement call.

This was my point. :nod:

"Showing your parents you're responsible" doesn't mean shit if you are faking it lol. Anybody can woo their parents into anything (for the most part), but you need to be careful. These cars can outrun 99% of all cars on the road without even downshifting from OD.

BTW - Guy across town has a balls out 383 stroker Chevy Luv w/ a 250 shot that his SON has driven 8.6x@150 pulling a 3' wheel-stand out of the hole. He's 17-18 years old. :)

Camaroz
07-17-2006, 01:20 PM
I mellow'd out an incredible amount after I got my LSx car. I used to drive like a nutt-case in my s-10, I hardly break the speed limit in this thing. Something about becoming more mature I guess. Not all people react this way, some do. I'm sure some of you people who are saying NO do so because you have kids of your own, but I'm not to that point yet. :)
That's exactly what has happened to me. I sped ALOT when I first got my Camaro but it wasn't to an extent where it was uncontrollable. The dumbest thing I have probaly done is doing 150MPH with a friend on a completely empty highway. Now the fastest I've gone in a couple months is probaly 100 at 11:30PM trying to catch up to a friend on the same highway 2 miles ahead of me.

SSJIMMY
07-17-2006, 05:39 PM
tell them its your money and you will take care of it. I also agree that you need to tell them they can punish you if when you get a ticket. You will get a ticket it someday ive been lucky so far but i know it is coming. I was 18 when i got mine and my parents knew that was what i wanted so they didnt really say much. My mom of course says be careful and all but my Dad loves it just as much as me and helps me pay for mods to it. Thats a plus of having a dad that like muscle cars too it reminds him of all the one he used to have.

Chevy_Truck_Man
07-19-2006, 02:00 PM
It's your money... screw em'. Mine tried to do the same thing with my truck when I turned 16... and I do show off... and now I'm 19... with an assload of tickets and NO wrecks. If you buy YOUR car trying to make someone else happy, you're just gonna be pissed off. Dont buy a car based on fuel economy when you want to go fast (DDDUUUUUUUUHHHHH!!!!!). One more thing.... IT'S A DODGE I.E. PIECE OF SHIT!

Sgt. Spuds
07-19-2006, 03:05 PM
The dumbest thing I have done was this

I was hanging out at a parking lot that a shit load of people go to every Friday Saturday, and sometimes during the week, they are there till like 3-4 am most nights. Well I have to be home by 12, its the law around here, if a 16 year old is caught out driving past 12, they treat you like you don't even have a licence, meaning you lose your licence till you turn 18. Well I got a call from my dad at like 11:50 ( he was out of town ) and he asked me if I was home yet, and I said I was on my way ) so five mins later I started out. Its like 12 min drive at least going the speed limit I'd have to say. So with five mins to go, I drove down the main drag and 5 above the speed limit so the speed cameras wouldn't catch me ( fucking IA ) and jumped on I74. At that point, I merged into the left lane, no one was in front of me, I just ran through the top of fifth and held it there. I slowed down for corners, but never really looked at the speedo again, just drove balls out the whole way. I got to the bridge over the Mississippi in like 45 seconds, and hit it, its a 50mph zone and I was almost tripling that. I remember the wosh ( had the t-tops off, Yea I know, dumb ) of the bridge, normally its like, wosh wosh wosh wosh as you go by each pillar, it was just 1 constant bridge at this speed. I was over the bridge in no time, and just went towards my exit ( a few miles down the road. Traffic was starting to show up, but I barely slowed down, I just weaved ( there was like 1-2 cars every couple hundred feet tops ) I seen the exit up a head, slowed down to 50, and took the exit, its pretty sweeping so I was in no way in danger at that point. I was then home within the next 45 seconds after making a right turn at a red light. I got home in 4 mins, not bad...

I have since not done anything near as stupid as that. when I got home, I couldn't hardly sleep, I was so on edge. Since then I haven't went over 100mph, or even close to it. I feel that I am maturing a bit in my driving. I was in a accident b/c I was over confident, having my t/a for 3 weeks, and that scared me for a few months, and I had just started getting confident again about 2-3 months ago, and now I feel that I need to start to slow down, I've got too much going for me to make a stupid choice now..

natronathon
07-19-2006, 03:19 PM
in my opinion there is a distinct difference between driving skill, and driving smarts or wisdom.

BUT to be honest, my driving mellowed out a lot after i got my fbody. after the first few weeks of enjoying the power, I realized i wanted my car to last a long time, so I started being a lot easier on it, and now just go 5 over.

TLUZLS1
07-20-2006, 04:23 PM
in my opinion there is a distinct difference between driving skill, and driving smarts or wisdom.

BUT to be honest, my driving mellowed out a lot after i got my fbody. after the first few weeks of enjoying the power, I realized i wanted my car to last a long time, so I started being a lot easier on it, and now just go 5 over.
:metoo: Im 17, once i knew what it could do(acceleration wise, not top speed runs) i started to baby it, not that i abused it before or anything. Just think of all the bad things that could happen if you sped excessively, thats what keeps my foot out of it, its not worth it. My parents trusted me with this responsibilty and im not gonna abuse their trust. If you get an LS1 you should do the same and you will be fine :thumb:

cascadesys
07-20-2006, 06:57 PM

Stereotype much? No teenager needs a sports car? Guess what man? No human being on this planet NEEDS a sports car, its a WANT just as much as it is for your wise all knowing self as it is for my 17 year old ass. You bring up building character? Look at yourself, throwing out absurd stereotypes and dictating other peoples lives.

"You think you can handle it, but you can't"?? Just wow, look at what you're saying. My sheer existance shoots your theory to shit. I've had my WS6 for a year now, and daily drove it through a very snowy winter here in PA. I don't claim to be a Formula 1 driver, but anyone with some self control realizes that snow isn't a good place to floor it, and as a result CAN handle these cars. Get a grip man, they're LS1's, they're not fucking supercars. Like I said before, most of the teens you see in an FBody drive that FBody becuase they know what it is, and as a result are capable of respecting the power its possesses. Retarded teen drivers that "almost slam" into the back of you daily are inevitable. You're responding to the OP, who is a kid who actually wants a car thats worth a damn instead of following the horde to Civic land. Those people are the ones that usually drive like complete idiots, not the ones who were smart enough to get an Fbody.

You are so judgemental about this whole topic, to the point where it looks like you didn't have a sports car when you were a kid and as a result don't want anyone else that age to get one. Well man, tough luck, as an adult you should have learned that life isn't fair a long time ago. It's one thing for someone here to say "I don't think that's the best idea, you should probably look into possibly trying out a V6." That's an honest and helpful answer. For you to come barging in here like a moron and say "NO FBODYS FOR TEENS" you just come across as someone even more immature than the stereotype you're applying to teen drivers.

blue99SS
07-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Like stated before, if it's YOUR money then just buy the damn thing.

Rabada
07-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Like stated before, if it's YOUR money then just buy the damn thing.

Like stated before a 17 year old cannot purchase a vehicle.

streetassasin
07-21-2006, 10:30 PM
If you are lucky enough to get your car you should take it out to an empty parking lot when it is wet to see how the car handles in different situations like trying how to get out of a slide and shit like that. I did it in the RS and a saved my ass a few times

YellowMonster87
07-22-2006, 09:11 AM
hey man, my mom took me to a honda dealership to get a civic (matchbox sports car) and i ended up with a fbody, my mom is prolly the hardest person to convince and it took me a month of begging and selling, and marketing the idea to her.....i fucked myself n my old cars, before my fbody i had 19 tickets for various violations, illegal display of hp ( in an eclipse hahaha), speeding ( nver over 30 above limit though) weaving through traffic etc. the point is if you want it bad enough and its ment to be it will happen, Im 18 i have been working full time (40/week) since i was a junior in highschool and i have in my eyes one of the nicest sports cars on the road....i work hard for what i have and pay for everything on my own and its not easy but let me tell you something i can get a consistent 30 or 29mpg on the highway in 6th gear with cruise control on and i have driven my car in the snow and the rain and its fine....remember back in the day all cars wear rear wheel drive so in my opinion if you cant respect and learn the power and weaknesses of a car in any condition you dont deserve to drive it. Furthermore, after you get used to being able to do 157mph in 5th gear and smoking the tires through 3rd or 4th a couple times youll calm down cuz you know your faster and therefore it wont be worth it anymore youll want to calm down and baby your car....hell i bet alot of guys on here dont even take there car out if theres a chance of rain....i know i dont.....once you get this car you will realize how amazing it is and want to keep it forever......the minute it gets board through a bolt on in there for cheap or when your ready for a kick grab a good h/c package...its a process like anything else, and as you grow with the car you can make the car grow with you.....thers no such thing as to fast, the minute you reach the limit your gonna go out and buy whatever whereever to bust through that limit....the important part is jus doing it in a controled and hopefully legal environment ( wink wink)....

well whatever this is jus my .02 and take it for what its worth im sure everyone has a different opinion of what you should do but in the end you gotta do what you gotta do cuz its not our lives its yours so go with whatever you want to do not what others think...

seth

novass72
07-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Don't. Start with a V6.

Hey Vendetta, shut up with the V-6 bullshit!

Flash, I got my car when I turned 18 and the only time I got pulled over was the day after I bought it. Didn't have any tags, but never been pulled over since! Hell I was never even pulled over in my first car that I built when I was 16 (was also in votec school). Its in my sig.

BTW Vendetta, Sobral sucks!!!

steveb1
07-23-2006, 01:19 AM

I agree.. I am obviously an LS1 fan... But I'm also 44 years old, been driving for 27 years, am a parent first. I have two son's.. 19 and 21 and a daughter getting ready to get her permit. Both boy's are good drivers but are both very capable of being very aggressive drivers. I don't think someone with that little driving experience should have 300+ HP underneath them. I say if you gotta go for the F-body, get a V6 and get some driving experience under your belt. After you get used to the car there are plenty of things you can do to a V6 to boost the power. Your parents are thinking of your safety and your future, and so am I.

BTW.. When I was 17 I had a 1971 Pontiac GTO with a 400CI Engine.. Totalled IT.. I walked away from it but it could have just as easily gone the other way.. I had many friends die in car accidents

Not to mention that I also destroyed a car that would have been a classic today.

My 2 cents

CockerKid009
07-23-2006, 09:55 PM
"You think you can handle it, but you can't"?? Just wow, look at what you're saying. My sheer existance shoots your theory to shit.
hahah that just made me laugh for some reason... completely agreed though. As for Steveb1 i think some are much better suited for a V8 at a younger age than others. It's for the most part a parents discression. I wouldn't start my girl (if i had a girl, or any kids for that matter) in a V8. hahah she'd prolly get some 4 cylinder or a truck w/ a V6 so she at least had some size to her if she did get in an accident. It's all on the maturity level of kid. Everyone needs to stop saying no fbodys for teens, their's obviously a lot of exclusions that 'shoot your theory to shit' and stop telling him to just go buy it, i mean honestly. besides not even being able to the fact is he's a kid and the parents make the rules. think about how dependant you are on your parents at that age (aka they own the house you live in) be reasonable. My brother came home w/ an ear ring one time @ age 18 and my dad flipped. The earing came out or he was off to an appartment. He's still here...

StealthFormula
07-23-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm 18 and personally I will not let my kids have a car like mine when they turn 16 one day because I'm scared they will do what I did and once in a while do. I wouldn't get the LS1 to start and I say that because I should either be dead or behind bars right now and I've thrown away money with f-ups etc. all because of the car you see in my sig. I consider myself a much better driver than almost all of my friends however it all changes under certain circumstances when your behind the wheel of a powerful V-8. Also, it took me several months to convince my dad and 2 years later he is kicking himself for ever letting me get it. I told myself I wouldnt screw around but I still ended up putting the car sideways all the time pulling outta the parking lot at high school. It wasnt till I recently graduated that I got my head outta my ass because I need my car to last me through 4 years of College and I cannot afford any tickets/damages with the tutition of school.

just1news6
07-23-2006, 10:17 PM
I agree with him i am 20 and i got mine when i was either 18 or 19 and if i had this car when i was 16 i would be pushing up flowers in the grave, but if you do get it respect it for what it is!!

kenkaru
07-23-2006, 10:38 PM
So the underlying theme here is:

The younger you are when you get an LS1, the more likely you're going to crash and burn.
AND
The people who were lucky enough to get one at a young age admit they are lucky to be alive.

This should be considered rigorously.

Gabriel
07-23-2006, 11:11 PM
If it's what you want to spend your money on, they shouldn't have much say. My dad helped me shop for a car when I was in the market for one and all I was looking at was V8 F-bodies and 03-04 Cobras. He kept insisting that I look at something more economical like a Passat or Acura, but I insisted that I wanted a sports car. I reasoned that if it was a car that I actually wanted I would take spectacular care of it because I would be more passionate about it, as apposed to a just 'get me around' car.

I also played up on all the options that an LS1 or Terminator would entitle the driver to (power everything, t-tops, leather/seude, premium audio, alarm, etc). He was all about getting me a nice, reliable car and I insisted that these cars were the top of the line vehicles form each make.

Gas mileage was also a big issue but the 27mpg sticker took care of that, and I made it clear that I didn't mind splurging the extra 30 cents for premium on a car that I have always wanted.

I also played down the power aspect of the car. I didn't talk or seem excited about the motor as much as I really wanted to. When we would enter the lots I would pull the salesman aside and tell him to not play up the LS1 (lol CORVETTE MOTOR!) as they invariably always do.

However, all these things are obvious. The most important thing you need to do is research. I researched both cars for several months before I started shopping around for them. It will look really good on your part when you can answer your father's questions on the lot before the salesperson can, and it will make it obvious that you are ready and willing to make a mature and informed decision. An LS1 is a huge investment, you can't just look at the price of the car and insurance. Upkeep for these cars is also really expensive. Are you ready to pay $125-150 PER tire? LS1s also are notorious oil hogs, and the cheap shit won't cut it. Premium gas, premium cleaning supplies, everything goes up when you make the jump to a nice car. I won't even get into when the modding-bug gets you. $$$. Before you get into an LS1, you have to asses your situation and see if it's really for you. If you can afford it, great and good luck to you. If you realize you can't afford it just yet and decide against then I'm sure your parents will gain a huge amount of respect for you for making a mature decision and it will work in your favor when you decide you are in fact ready for an LS1.

The Ricer Rapist
07-23-2006, 11:29 PM

They also had the long ass production runs and had more time to stack up stats.

I am 17 and have basically convinced my parents that a C5 is the ideal car for me and I hope to be getting into one before my 18th birthday in november. Since I turned 16 I've been driving a wrangler with 36's and a bunch of other mods. I've proven I could take care of that because the damn thing broke every other week. I even learned to weld and got a bitchload of tools to work on it. And I have a 31 on my ACT so college is pretty much paid for.

john shea
07-24-2006, 12:09 PM
A lot depends on the individual my youngest daughter drives every day
like she is a nascar driver and she wanted a z28 so I definitely said no
If it where her older sister who has a different personality at the same age of say 17 it would have been a yes. My youngest settled for a 6 cylinder camaro
that she proceeded to wreck multiple times. I think you should have some
patience and make a compromise with your parents for say 18 years old.
oh yeah the youngest is now driving my oldest daughters 98 neon and
she is 22 with a 3 year old child. You are very young and the need for speed
never dies as I am 57 years old and own a f-body. I wish you luck and happy motoring.

mike1500
07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Ok I'm going to make a suggestion here and Im gonna say somthing nobody else has ( or so that I've read) 17 yr olds get tickets in fast cars, the end.
Just becuase you are 17 and most likely look young too, if you think not think again.
The chances/odds are indeed against you and I would suggest trying somthing a bit more mild for the next 2 years. You could be driving speed limit and have exhaust and get pulled over for that etc.... So much many young people do not contemplate before making a risk/decision on a car. You may LOVE the feel and the power and the sound of the car, but do you need it? No, but neither do I or the rest of the people on the board, a LT1/LS1 both are a luxury to be able to own, it should come LAST on the checklist, after you are graduated from school with a little place of your own, save up a grand or two and walk out and finance one.
Now somone who TRULY was responsible and had thier shit together would be thinking in advance :)

kenkaru
07-24-2006, 01:55 PM
BTW,
I love all these people saying oh if you pay for it then your parents can't say anything. Have fun paying rent and all the bills for your apartment and you'll have to get your own insurance policy which will be 500+/month at your age for an ls1 and if your parents were going to help with college... ya fuck your parents man they don't do shit for you!

just move out and live in your trans am for the rest of your life :nod:

i just want to expand on the insurance aspect:
Your parents probably don't want you on their policy with an Fbody. Just for kicks, go get a quote for your own policy and post it up! I did this when I was 19 and it cam $540/month so I waited another 3 years.

ZeroFear
07-24-2006, 03:22 PM
dont risk messing up your parents insurance. just wait till your older and have been driving a while to get one.

btw thats really crazy how its only 180 a month insurance for you. I was quoted 785 a month for a honda prelude and im 20. geico is retarded though.

TheBlurLS1
07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Ok I'm going to make a suggestion here and Im gonna say somthing nobody else has ( or so that I've read) 17 yr olds get tickets in fast cars, the end.
Just becuase you are 17 and most likely look young too, if you think not think again.
The chances/odds are indeed against you and I would suggest trying somthing a bit more mild for the next 2 years. You could be driving speed limit and have exhaust and get pulled over for that etc.... So much many young people do not contemplate before making a risk/decision on a car. You may LOVE the feel and the power and the sound of the car, but do you need it? No, but neither do I or the rest of the people on the board, a LT1/LS1 both are a luxury to be able to own, it should come LAST on the checklist, after you are graduated from school with a little place of your own, save up a grand or two and walk out and finance one.
Now somone who TRULY was responsible and had thier shit together would be thinking in advance :)

This is thought to consider. I was pulled over once when I was 18 for not wearing my seatbelt. Not only WAS I wearing it, but I had the t-tops off and the windows down in broad daylight. I was CREEPING too. This was when the car was completely stock with a flowmaster slapped on.

Some cops got picked on as kids and wank-off to their attempts at intimidating young people. You won't be able to escape this in anything but an incognito ride.

dont risk messing up your parents insurance. just wait till your older and have been driving a while to get one.

btw thats really crazy how its only 180 a month insurance for you. I was quoted 785 a month for a honda prelude and im 20. geico is retarded though.

:bs:

$785/month? Maby $785 per 6-months!

94lt116
07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
im 16 and got a 94 lt1 with work.. the ytold me keep good grades make all the payments and buy the car and i did it

Dragframe
07-25-2006, 01:16 PM

im not sure if i should be offended by the lt1 and POS comment....

I would say a LT1 or a LS1 is a bad idea. THey are the same car with a slight differnce in horsepower.

You rode in a 11 seconad LS1 car and then you were hooked. You were hooked on the speed and that is not a good idea.

Im only 18, but I have never had any kind of citation at all and no wrecks.

I vote fopr you to buy a 98+ v6 Trans Am. THey have the coolest front bumper.. lol. Then when you want a v8 is is pretty damn cheap to drop a ls1 in or not bad to buy a new car.

My insurance is $80 a month liability

BTW,
I love all these people saying oh if you pay for it then your parents can't say anything. Have fun paying rent and all the bills for your apartment and you'll have to get your own insurance policy which will be 500+/month at your age for an ls1 and if your parents were going to help with college... ya fuck your parents man they don't do shit for you!

just move out and live in your trans am for the rest of your life :nod:

i just want to expand on the insurance aspect:
Your parents probably don't want you on their policy with an Fbody. Just for kicks, go get a quote for your own policy and post it up! I did this when I was 19 and it cam $540/month so I waited another 3 years.

Im on my parents insurance. When im just driving aorund getting places my car never gets above 2k rpm. I get better milage and less likely to get a ticket. It takes more self control than any person in their late teen will posses to stay out of the gas on one of these cars.

I still suggest you wait untill later. My car sits 5 days out of the week. Helps keep the possibilty of getting pulled over and getting a ticket way down.

ssmaro
07-25-2006, 01:50 PM

Fuck you man, I've had TWO ls1's since I turned 16 (18 now) and I havn't had a single problem yet. THANK YOU! OH and I've also owned a R6 as well! Tell me thats not fast and dangerous, and yet I still had no problem. Now if your going to tell me that a 16 or 17 year old is to dumb to drive one of these cars you are WRONG. It's all just how responsible you want to be.

Alright man as for you paying for the car payments(I pay $290), insurance, and gas these days it's going to add up to alot of money quick. But what you need to do is show your parents that you really WANT a ls1. You wouldn't believe how hard I worked on my parents to let me get one, and now that I do, I can show them how much I appreciate it. You need to get their trust and show them you won't go out and kill youself in a fast car.
I really hope this helps man, seriously just keep showing your parents how bad you want one and try and show them how responsible you can be.

Joel

LS1Aggie09
07-25-2006, 02:01 PM
chil out joel...90 percent of 16 to 18 year olds shouldn't be behind the wheel of these cars, especially as first vehicles. I drove two huge trucks, a 90 f250 to start off followed by a 04 2500hd 4x4, and now a 02 Z M6 finally. I wouldn't have done it any other way other than maybe buying a V6 inbetween the ford and the LS1 instead of the 2500 HD (which i loved as well). You are part of the minority, or maybe you just have gotten lucky....

kenkaru
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Fuck you man, I've had TWO ls1's since I turned 16 (18 now) and I havn't had a single problem yet. THANK YOU! OH and I've also owned a R6 as well! Tell me thats not fast and dangerous, and yet I still had no problem. Now if your going to tell me that a 16 or 17 year old is to dumb to drive one of these cars you are WRONG. It's all just how responsible you want to be.

Alright man as for you paying for the car payments(I pay $290), insurance, and gas these days it's going to add up to alot of money quick. But what you need to do is show your parents that you really WANT a ls1. You wouldn't believe how hard I worked on my parents to let me get one, and now that I do, I can show them how much I appreciate it. You need to get their trust and show them you won't go out and kill youself in a fast car.
I really hope this helps man, seriously just keep showing your parents how bad you want one and try and show them how responsible you can be.

Joel

lol nice way to start off a post :gay:

I just don't get it... as a young person, you should know more than anyone that MOST 17 yr olds shouldn't have a 350hp car.

BTW, no tickets/no accidents doesn't mean crap because we've all done some retarded stuff and just lucked out on not coming around a corner to meet a fallen limb or parked car or a jogger. You're better off doing stupid stuff in a slower car since the corners come up a lot slower.

ssmaro
07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
You guys are correct, I would hate to think about what most teenagers would do driving these cars. All I'm saying is that if your smart and responsible, you'll be fine.

kenkaru
07-25-2006, 05:33 PM
true :cheers:
When I was 17, I wasn't smart OR responsible! lol

nokeman
07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
I pay $300+ liability only. God, I hate insurance compaines

Same here and it sucks!! And the worst part is that its only liability

AronZ28
07-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I got my Z28 when I turned 19. If I had it as my first car, I wouldn't be here. Even if I had gotten it at 17, I still think I would have wrecked it. Everybody is different, and some people are mature enough to handle an LS1 at 17.

That aside, you need to consider your fiances. You do not want to be in debt going into college. College should be your main priority, not working to make a car payment. Hell, my car is paid off and I'm already $2000 in debt from just trivial shit I've bought in college and maintaining the car.

EDIT: Can somebody post that picture of Spuds again, the link quit working.

just1news6
07-25-2006, 10:33 PM
If your going into college and getting an ls1 consider something else here is a list of what i have had to replace while in school, all belts, belt tensioner, Clutch and all hydrualics, regular maintnance shit like spark plugs, SYNTHENTIC OIL, premium gas, Tires at $150 a piece, theres more that i cant think of but if your ona college budget this is not the car for you i learned the hard way lol.

FlashLCD33
07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm really finding very few people in here with a legit reason for me or any other teen to not get one.

There are a couple views I'm seeing...

1) I didn't have the car when I was young, you shouldn't get one because I'm a jealous prick

2) You should get a V6 first because I had to

3) Insurance and gas and maitenance are going to kill you, but if it's what you want get it

4) I got one when I was young, here I am, no tickets, and I've cruised a nice car.

5) Kill your parents, get their life insurance, buy the car and be happy

Honestly, I don't care ''what most teens do,'' all people are different and I'm not a fucking statistic. If you're just saying that I shouldn't get one because you were stuck with a v6/other and were unhappy, then GTFO.

I WILL NOT buy a V6 fbody. I honestly couldn't do it. I'm all about the sound and feel of a V8 and I personally think anyone who buys a V6 sports car kills the point of the word ''sport.''

Insurance and gas isn't too terrible for me, the mpg gain from the car will pay off the insurance difference. Maitenance will all be free, except parts cost (discounted, of course.)

I can't just go out and buy the car. It's my money, I want the car, but I HAVE to have approval because of that whole thing called not being 18. Also the only way I can get one is if i stay in good hands with my parents so I can be on their policy, and have them help me out if I need anything. I'm not trying to be some emo kid and run away from my parents because they wont buy me a skateboard, I love my parents fine and I'm not trying to make this some huge battle.

And now I'm going to piss off probably half of the people in this thread. I'm looking into buying an 11 second TA (tschmidt's.) Sure it's a lot more motor, but that has a ton of advantages. The car will idle up to speed faster then my Heep will WOT up to speed, the engine is working a TON less and getting far better mpg. Now, the car is also BUILT like ah-ah-ah-ahnold. It has everything that I'd do to a car anyways, so I wouldn't be modding it (other then wheels and tires). It is sad that this 400+rwhp is getting better gas mileage getting on it quite a bit then my mom does. Also, when you have that much power you have NOTHING to prove. No ricers will try to race it.

Cop attention is what I'm worried about the most, for bullshit like ''not turning the signal on 100ft before turn'' or lame shit like that. I know a cop won't catch me speeding, because I don't speed. The car is red, it's mean, it's loud, it draws attention. Problem? Yes, only if you give cops a reason to pull you over. Also being where I'm located most of the cops are conservative and would much rather be bothering a ricer than a muscle car or lifted truck.

streetassasin
07-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Seriously whats the point of getting an 11 sec car if you arent gonna use it. But good luck on gettin the TA I wish I had a fast car.

FlashLCD33
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
It will be used, just in the right place at the *hopefully* right time. The nice thing about the car is it can easily be daily driven, but it has power on tap when you need it. Also, i'm very interested in starting to drag race (at the strip of course), it seems like an easy way to go fast legally.

streetassasin
07-27-2006, 11:56 AM
A 17 y/o starting at the track with a 11 sec car. Your brave man Im 17 too but I started with a 16 sec car to get the hang of the track and to practice hopefully later on this yaer my dad will let me drive his 10 sec 1968 Camaro
:headbang: :drool: :rock: I want to make at least 10 more passes in the RS first though

AronZ28
07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Flash, it sounds like your beater is the biggest POS ever. I'd sell it and get something like a $2000 94 Accord that hopefully won't need to be fixed weekly. This way you can focus all your $$$ and time into making your fbod faster and not wasting more time and money fixing your beater.

Although if you go my route, you'll only be able to afford a MINT LT1(I saw a beautiful 1996 Z28 with 34,000 miles the other day for $6,000). Also, buying your friend's 11 second Trans Am is downright stupid IMO when you've never owned anything faster than an 18 second Jeep. Very steep learning curve with that car, and a lot more potential for it to bite you in the ass, even over a stock LS1.

firehawk427
07-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm 18 and have own 3 LS1 f-bodies! When I was 15 my parents bought a brand new 2002 z28 a4 as the going out car but it was never practical for them so I would be the primary user of that car, it was traded in along time ago, but ofcoarse I was hooked to the power of the LS1 so at 17 I bought my own 2002 T/A a4, and now at 18 I have sold my t/a bought myself a 93' Firehawk 6-spd Hardtop. Anyways, its not wise to buy a ls1 car at 18 but if your responsible enough to control your urges of racing those pusy mustangs then you should be ok.

FlashLCD33
07-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Flash, it sounds like your beater is the biggest POS ever. I'd sell it and get something like a $2000 94 Accord that hopefully won't need to be fixed weekly. This way you can focus all your $$$ and time into making your fbod faster and not wasting more time and money fixing your beater.

Although if you go my route, you'll only be able to afford a MINT LT1(I saw a beautiful 1996 Z28 with 34,000 miles the other day for $6,000). Also, buying your friend's 11 second Trans Am is downright stupid IMO when you've never owned anything faster than an 18 second Jeep. Very steep learning curve with that car, and a lot more potential for it to bite you in the ass, even over a stock LS1.

I think I've gotten the beater basically to where i've put all the money into it that its getting, and it seems to be holding up better now. The idea of the beater is something to drive in the winter basically, and to keep primary insurance on lol

I've been looking and looking and just can not find a LT1 or LS1 around town that hasn't had the shit torn out of it or that isn't overpriced. The 11 sec TA is the whole reason I started looking at TAs and Zs, might as well buy what you want :). I know the car is too much for me to handle which is a good thing at this point, because I don't get cocky with it.

I'm really leaning away from the 11 sec car for a couple reasons. I want to buy a stock (or basically stock) and build it up myself. Sure it costs more money but it's more of a learning curve like you said, and I can do more and more as i feel more comfortable. The recent lack of fbodies (at least in state) is mainly what got me considering the car. Also because it would be buying it from a close friend I know exactly what the car is, not just buying some random persons car to find out problems later.

FlashLCD33
07-28-2006, 04:34 AM
After helping a friend pull his tranny tonight, i truly realized how much of a bitch these cars are to work on lol. Maybe I should give up and buy a fullsize chevy :wrongforu

streetassasin
07-28-2006, 10:11 AM
If you get a full size Chevy build it up like Parish did

JSmee99T/A
07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
i skipped about 10 pages of this thread so if i missed something thats why....i was just going to post my story. i bought a 99 nbm t/a last year about three months before my 18th birthday. but i also had a 98 monte carlo ls. that was my first car so if this is going to be a first car i would say wait on it. i can agree with the guys who have said that on here because i too was a responsible/good driver...who had that first accident in my first car. i pancaked the monte on a guard rail and did a 180 backing into it again with the drivers side tail light. didnt total it just f**ked it up a little. I bought my t/a young and it does hurt come payment timee 303 a month but my insurance is awesome around 70-85 a month. gas does suck though but thats why its not my dd i have a v6 firebird for that. i dont know if the problem has been resolved but just weight out all of your options and pick on what will be most practical. happy motoring lol.

-Jeff

streetassasin
07-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Damn what isurance company do you have?

FlashLCD33
07-31-2006, 02:12 AM
Guys this is NOT my first car.

chpmnsws6
07-31-2006, 02:42 AM

Make that two of us. I was always a good kid, but put me behind the wheel of the ws6 and i'd grow a new set of balls, spending most the time in the car sideways

blackbirdls1
07-31-2006, 11:30 AM
There are a lot of assumptions made here. I'm 18 and on my parents insurance policy for the meantime, things are going well with the car, you just have to know when it is ok to have fun in an f body and when its not ok.

darrensls1
07-31-2006, 12:32 PM

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on this site. I think this because it's brutally honest on a topic where most people in your shoes would have lied or said nothing at all.

I have a 18 year old daughter and a 14 year old son so I right at the point in my life where this sort of situation could happen. With my daughter it was easy. She had her heart set on a 2003-2006 Black Sunfire. Since she is a girl and the Sunfire is slower then snow dogs pulling a sled this was a no brainer. She got a 2005 for graduation since she was an honor student.

The 14 year old had a few years yet but I can tell you this. There isn't a snow balls chance in hell he will drive my Formula or get my help buying any car that is 14.5 or faster in the quarter mile. Being busted for street racing is serious business these days. Not to mention the fact that if he got himself killed it would devastate me.

I wouldn't even want to try and imagine the pain of losing a child. But IMO the pain would be 10 times worse if I gave him the tool he used to kill himself with. Then I would not only have the loss but also the guilt because I could have prevented it. I love my kids so as a responsible parent I would have no part in helping them buy an LS1. At 18 if they have the means to get one then so be it. At least then they have a few years of driving experience and if the worst happens (god forbid), I would not have the guilt to deal with along side the grief.

Having been a teenager once and raising two I feel I can say this:

All teenagers are responsible. Until they get caught doing something stupid.

All teenagers tell the truth. Until they get caught in a lie.

All teenagers are expert drivers. Until they get caught by police or cause an accident.

As a kid you have nothing to lose. You want the car and you hope to hell that you get it. As a parent it's just not worth the risk. At least that's how I see it.

Blue Meanie
07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Do it, got my 94 when i was 17, I had a blast, I went to the track, I got in trouble, it got me laid. Just don't be stupid, if you are, you may become a statistic after all. SKIP buying an LT1 and go straight for the LS1. Have fun, be safe.

CrawlinWS6
07-31-2006, 03:41 PM
When I was 18 I bought a New 2001 Camaro RS (6cyl) got that one because of the price and insurance. But 6 months later I traded it in for my 02 ws6. My parents were cool about it. They new I wanted it. And even loosing my ass on the camaro (lost 8k) they co-signed for the ta. I was the only 18yr old I new with a $650 car note

FlashLCD33
08-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Do it, got my 94 when i was 17, I had a blast, I went to the track, I got in trouble, it got me laid. Just don't be stupid, if you are, you may become a statistic after all. SKIP buying an LT1 and go straight for the LS1. Have fun, be safe.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Dude I'm 17 90% of the fun days in my life are over. I want to live it up while I'm young so I can feel like it's time to settle down when I'm older. People that work too much when they're young and don't get to have enough fun become the kind of guy like off of 40 year old virigin. You're only young once, I really don't care if I have to pay a high insurance rate or car payment.

Guys I really think that the car doesn't matter if you're talking about accidents. Unless you're doing 100+mph runs and roll or something, you can get into an accident in anything. My close friend died at 16 driving a 4cyl Grand Am. Sure you can get up to speed faster but you can speed and not pay attention in anything. I've almost hit a couple people that will pull out in front of me from a dead stop while I'm doing 35. Paying attention to driving is a lot more important than what you're driving.

So-GT0071
08-01-2006, 01:44 AM
I say if you can afford to pay for it, go for it. I bought my truck when I was 15(1992 sonoma GT). It had the vortec 4.3 V6 in it. I will admit that even with the V6 in it, it got away from me once or twice in the rain because it had a harsh 1-2 shift and liked to spin the tires when shifting if you were giving it some gas. I am now about 1 month from turning 18 and I am currently swapping an LS1 into it. 3100 lb truck+LS1 isn't exactly slow but I feel I am ready for it after having some driving experience. What makes me laugh is the fact that some of you guys seem to think that someone can be a responsible teenager than all the sudden they get in an F-body and all of their responsibility goes out the window. Some of you guys that were mentioning getting an LT1/LS1 when you were younger and don't recomend it because you drove irresponsibly? I don't get what that has to do with anything. That's you, his experience may be completely different, no single person is the same.Now I know that there is an abundance of shitty teenage drivers all over the road, but I'm also aware that there is an abundance of shitty drivers on the road completely disregarding age. There are idiots of all ages people.

Good luck finding the F-bod :)

Gun5
08-01-2006, 01:58 AM
I bought my formula 6 months ago (put 1200 down on the 4900 $ car..) parents told me i could pay thme back the rest.. 6 months later new negine/tranny and rear (guy ripped me off all the stuff was fake except the exhaust (headers/borla/LE2 Heads) so now at $9500 I pay $198 a month and we havnt decided how much im gonna pay for insurance probabyl half.. once im out of court against the guy who sold me the car ill pay off half of it most likely and work my ass of to get it done with...

my parents bought me a brand new econo box in 03 i believe... i only paid $2,000 towards that car before i said i was gonna ge the car i originally wanted (fbody) they offered to pay everything for it i said no i was gonna have my way... I still have the 04 (having to sell it for what we owe) but sometimes i think i shoulda kept it but when i get behind the wheel of my formula i know its all worth the work i put in :judge:

little example.. check the cars out before u buy it.. mine seemed to work fine (it ran, shifted blah blah) but we tore it apart it was all wrong.. I will have to control myself with this car iv done some stupid shit in my 04 elantra... im mostly worried about all the torque the fbodies make and putting it sideways and the shitty braking (LS1 brake swap soon??) self control :)

98hardtopZ
08-01-2006, 02:02 AM
im 17, ive had mine for quite sometime now, i speed just the same as i did in my truck, ive done 2 burnouts the first week i had it only becuase i was getting new tires. responsibility varies with people. i havent gotten the first ticket, knock on wood. so i say if you can afford it, get it.

So-GT0071
08-01-2006, 06:02 AM
lid, k&n filter, catback ,cutout, triple turbo, roots type supercharger (25 psi total), all forged internals, built a4 w/4k stall, m/t radials, stock rear.......stage 3 internal combustion synthesizer, gold plated titanium core muffler bearings, 2 stage ram air intercooler, carbon fiber c5r engine block, chromoly flux capacitor..daily driven 35mpg
1639 hp
1923 ft/lbs.
6.91 1/4 ET......

Dude, I'm still waiting to get my flux capacitor, evertime I go to autozone they are out........ :rotflmao:

98hardtopZ
08-01-2006, 09:19 AM
its in the way beyond section...just gotta ask the right guy...

darrensls1
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Dude I'm 17 90% of the fun days in my life are over. I want to live it up while I'm young so I can feel like it's time to settle down when I'm older.

:jest: Allow me to let you in on a little secret. College years (18-24) can be just as fun (or even more fun) then high school years. Spring break in Florida was way more fun then any HS gathering I ever went to :devil:

I think by the time you hit 30 you might be adjusting that 90% by 17 just a little.

Guys I really think that the car doesn't matter if you're talking about accidents. Unless you're doing 100+mph runs and roll or something, you can get into an accident in anything. My close friend died at 16 driving a 4cyl Grand Am. Sure you can get up to speed faster but you can speed and not pay attention in anything. I've almost hit a couple people that will pull out in front of me from a dead stop while I'm doing 35. Paying attention to driving is a lot more important than what you're driving.

I understand what you're saying and I agree to a point. People of all ages get in accidents in all kinds of vehicles. But lets be realistic. If you own a 4 cyl Pontiac Sunfire or Mom's mini-van then the odds of you fish tailing, smoking the tires, drag racing, 100+ mph runs, drifting or road racing are slim to none. Either the vehicle couldn't do it or it just wouldn't be any fun. If you get in an accident in that car it's probably going to be because of some form of distraction (cell phone, eating, dropped a cigarette, ect). Plus odds are much better that the accidents in those vehicles will be at lower speeds and with less damage/injuries.

But put a LS1 muscle car in the hands of a teenage boy and add to that mix a bunch of friends who want to race it, ricer kids who will rev you at lights, other muscle cars that will taunt you on the highway, 300+ rwhp that can smoke tires at will and the natural curiosity to see what 150 mph "feels like" and you have a far greater chance of being in an accident. Not to mention a far greater chance of that accident being severe or fatal due to racing or trying to "bury the needle". Plus there is an increased chance of speeding tickets and license suspensions.

As a parent I think you shouldn't get the car yet. As a muscle car enthusiast I think it's awesome you want the car instead of a Honda Civic with a bit wing. Good luck to you and stay safe.

LedZeppelin725
08-06-2006, 11:53 PM
i was 17 when i got mine, and ive had no tickets or anything, not because i dont drive it, but im really good at not getting caught :devil:

Lythropus
08-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm not currently 17 but bought my first 2002 ws6 when I was 17 in 2003. It was my money, I had to get my parents to co-sign because I had no credit. In the end I'm 21, on my third f-body, but I also have 11 points against my license. My parents basic viewpoint was that it was my money, if I got into trouble it was still my money, and if I lost my license it was my problem. I did very well in school (ranked top 5 in my class) and they basically trusted me even though I have a heavy foot.

Lythropus
08-09-2006, 03:28 PM
OH Yeah get an ls1 and a good radar detector!

Lythropus
08-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by StealthZ06

I disagree, while I do have alot of tickets, one 6 point ticket was because of a racist cop, then 3 3 point tickets for like 4 over. Then I do agree with the profiling. I drive a F-150 daily faster than my trans-am and have never been ticketed, I've even gotten warnings for 20 over in it. At 4 to 5 over in my trans am I loose points! I think the real key is to go to track events and get all that frustration out, I'm almost positive you should have one close.

moz2801
08-09-2006, 11:02 PM
get it, expect it to be somewhat costly, be careful. enjoy the tire smoke.
respect the power. at first the car will feel like a rocket ship, then you will get used to it and will want to get that rocket feeling back... over, and over, and over. its a trap. on second thought, just buy a hybrid.
every once in a while rent a car and beat on it for a while.

1Bad97WS-6
08-11-2006, 08:12 AM
My first car was a 97 LT1 WS-6 I got it when I was 16 in 99 I still own it and its only got 82,xxx miles I done plenty of mods. My best time for it is a 8.428@81.518 in the 1/8.

partyhardoo69
08-11-2006, 09:20 AM
i didnt read any of the posts above but...

When i was 16 i got my first car. 99' Grand prix gtp. I paid for half the car and half of the insurance (because i got a B average). Anyways, I mod'd that car to run low 13's.

I got bored of the car a few months ago and traded it (had it for 10 months) for the camaro in my sig. My parents know i can handle the power as i have been around fast cars my whole life.

Basicly you need to just convince them that your mature enough to handle the power. And show them you can afford it.

kars10_4
08-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't even want to try and imagine the pain of losing a child. But IMO the pain would be 10 times worse if I gave him the tool he used to kill himself with. Then I would not only have the loss but also the guilt because I could have prevented it. I love my kids so as a responsible parent I would have no part in helping them buy an LS1. At 18 if they have the means to get one then so be it. At least then they have a few years of driving experience and if the worst happens (god forbid), I would not have the guilt to deal with along side the grief.

This gives me some insight into how my parents must feel with we driving an LS1 and what took them so much convincing to let me buy one (after my 19th bday). It also makes me drive my LS1 with alot more respect than I did with our GMC Yukon or Sierra. In grades 11 and 12 I drove the Yukon, with more people in it than there was seatbelts, to lunch everyday on a two way highway. Alot of the time it was a 100mph race weaving through traffic to get first in line at KFC, with more near-misses than anyone should experience. Can only imagine how those rides would have ended with a car capable of doing 160mph..... Now at a young age you are going to push the limits no matter what, I wanted to chip my dad's Sierra just to get a bit more top speed. When you push the limits in most vehicles they are limited by the vehicle's power itself, and this can keep you from hurting yourself to a certain degree. But with an LS1, pushing it to the car's limit is almost garaunteed to end up in something severe. The thing that should keep you from pushing an LS1 to it's limit is the guilt and grief your parents would feel for letting you get the machine that killed you. Now having said all this my advice is: get an LS1, treat it well and anytime you think of doing something stupid in it, imagine the tremendous pain your parents would have to endure believing they killed their own son.

Bandit LS1
08-11-2006, 09:52 AM
My advice to you is wait, have patience, it will pay off in the long run.......get a beater car or truck, go to college, graduate, get a decent job, move out on your own, then buy the LS1.

I've owned F-bodies since I was 17 and I love the cars, but my first one was sure as hell not an LS1.....I started out with a 180hp 305 87' Firebird that I got for $2500 when I was in HS. I'm 24 now, drive my LS1 daily and have no regrets about waiting. Sure I wish I had the car a few years earlier but it just wasn't practicle. Plus now I have a great job, a decent portfolio, and extra money to dump into modding my LS1. Once your financially independent....i.e. not living with mom and dad then you can truely do whatever you want.

I'm not telling you not to get one, I just advise against it. If you can truely afford it on your own then go for it, but be carefull.......as many others have posted, it doesn't take much for you to get into trouble with these cars. I'm pretty sure if I had an LS1 in HS I wouldn't be here right now....but hey, maybe I was the only crazy driver at 17 who thought he was responsible behind the wheel too.

staringback05
08-11-2006, 04:57 PM
honestly id never let my 17 year old have one of these cars....there bad enough with any kinda sports car, ive been on so many accidents where to see kids dead its not even funny, it hits harder.....to see a 18 year old ejected from a mustang, half his brains on the concrete 15 yards away. or a car full of kids who had been goofing around and ended up, into a tree in the side of the road, all of them doa. i could go on, and i havent been in the profession that long. everybody gets in wrecks....kids get in them more, esp. when all the conditions are there....powerful car, immaturity (in them or there friends), rebilousness against athourity....etc etc

bjamick
08-15-2006, 06:06 PM
me myself im 17 i raised the cash to buy my 99 ta but what made this easy is my parent love speed and my dad was the one telling what i needed to get. he even helped me do a throttle body bypass the 1st weekend i had it lol, but he would buy a new car and the next weekend he would have a 100 shot on it and at the track lol, but i dunno bout taking your parents for a test drive bc then they might not let u bc they will feel the power of that ls1 under the hood, but these cars are very difficult to drive as 1 guy said there are blindspots all over the place and in the rain very little throttle and the car will just sling sideways and fishtail LOL i know from experience on the interstate. but if you do get it man let me no id love to see it post some pics good luck with it!! :)

Tainted
08-15-2006, 07:25 PM
to finally put an end to this thread. drug them. yes thats right. pop a few percocets in their drinks and then ask them and I will guarentee you they will say yes, or uhghmmmoooo one which also stands for i dont mind