Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning 50k mile shortblock after removing heads in prep for Cometic & ETPs

Old 07-08-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning 50k mile shortblock after removing heads in prep for Cometic & ETPs

Well, I just picked up my 2002 LS1 pullout that will be used for my Rx-7. I will be pulling the heads off tomorrow. I know that it is very important to have the deck very clean to ensure that the new heads seal properly. I know this is even more important when using a Cometic v. a GM MLS gasket since the Cometics are more prone to leaking if not installed properly. All that said, what is the best thing to use to clean the deck once I remove the heads?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a razor blade on mine but a lot of people aren't comfortable with that b/c it can gouge the aluminum block/heads. If you want to play it safe, use a plastic ice scraper to get the gasket crap off of both surfaces and then some brake cleaner with a rag to clean up whatever is left behind. Or, if you have a dremel, hook up a wire brush to the end and lightly go over the surfaces.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a plastic putty knife kind of deal. Metal once eat aluminum BAD. Berryman's B12 works like a champ too.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
I used a plastic putty knife kind of deal. Metal once eat aluminum BAD. Berryman's B12 works like a champ too.
Where can you get Berryman's B12? I've never heard of it.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:10 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
Where can you get Berryman's B12? I've never heard of it.
AKA B12 chemtool AKA B12 carb cleaner. Comes in a white and red can. It will take anything off of anything, no questions asked. Also works wonders for starting campfires and ******* up wasp nests like nobody's business.

I used a razor blade when my plastic scraper wouldn't cut the mustard. I also follwed it around with a shopvac while I was scraping to keep **** out of the water jacket/bolt holes. Afterwards I made a thread chaser and blew all the **** out of the bolt holes using a small hose and my air compressor.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Use gasket remover and cloth. No sharp objects.
As you mentionned surface needs to be smooth. Als spray the gaskets with a light coat of copper sealant and you'll be good to go.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

After masking off the bores and lifter area's so no foreign particles could enter the internals I used a wire brush on my dremel to lightly hit the deck. Works wonders as long as you are good and don't go crazy. B12 Chemtool is strong stuff and should work well with the plastic putty scraper if you don't want to use a dremel tool.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
AKA B12 chemtool AKA B12 carb cleaner. Comes in a white and red can. It will take anything off of anything, no questions asked. Also works wonders for starting campfires and ******* up wasp nests like nobody's business.

I used a razor blade when my plastic scraper wouldn't cut the mustard. I also follwed it around with a shopvac while I was scraping to keep **** out of the water jacket/bolt holes. Afterwards I made a thread chaser and blew all the **** out of the bolt holes using a small hose and my air compressor.
Thanks man. I'm going to pick some up.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pianoprodigy
Well, I just picked up my 2002 LS1 pullout that will be used for my Rx-7. I will be pulling the heads off tomorrow. I know that it is very important to have the deck very clean to ensure that the new heads seal properly. I know this is even more important when using a Cometic v. a GM MLS gasket since the Cometics are more prone to leaking if not installed properly. All that said, what is the best thing to use to clean the deck once I remove the heads?
Rejoice that it's a 2002. The 02 motor came with MLS gaskets so there will be just a little black stuff left behind.

I just dis-assembled my 02 and it took all of five minutes to clean each side. I sprayed some gasket remover on there, waited a few minutes, then wiped it clean with a rag. (Don't get the gasket remover on anything plastic or any painted surface.)

Don't forget to suck the coolant from the heads before cracking them open. This will also hasten the clean-up.

PS I also noticed that the gasket remover is a good solvent for carbon on the piston tops.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL - B12 works WONDERS on any insect, especially black widows. Blowtorch that **** with a lighter and there ya go. Wasps that are flying are easily stopped with b12 and a lighter. That stuff works wonders on cleaning just about anything...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning 50k mile shortblock after removing heads in prep for Cometic & ETPs