Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Some Nice Runs With A Mach1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some Nice Runs With A Mach1

I finally got my first shot at a Mach1, and I almost got a little more than I could handle. I had a run with a 94-98 GT, and an LT1 that didn't sound so healthy, but both were over before it started so not even worth writing a long story about. But later tonight I had just finished up with dinner, and me and the old lady were heading home when I asked if she just wanted to cruise around a little bit, she agreed and we headed out. I pulled into sonic to talke to another LS1 guy I know and let him hear the new LoudMouth and an all black Mach1 (love those cars especialy black) drives by. So I fly out of Sonic and catch up with him at the first light. I asked what he had done to it, and he said it was bone stock. There was a sticker in the window that said Corsa? Performance (Not quite sure I know it started with a "c" and it had a mustang and what looked like cross-hairs on it if this sounds familiar please feel free to post a correction) but it sounded stock as far as exhoust and If the guy said it was stock than I believe him. My mods are SLP cold air kit and SLP LoudMouth. I had my girlfriend with me and he was all alone but that shouldn't make that much difference. The light turned green and we both had great launches and were dead even, which surprised me because I have the stock 3.42 gears and I believe the Mach1's come with 3.55s so I figured he would have me. I hit second and barely pulled on him. We only made it to 60 before we started to hit traffic and at that time he was right at my back tires. We cleared traffic a little and went again this time only 30 to about 80 before we started to hit traffic and the same result, he was right there and I was just barely inching him. He pulled up to me and made the usual compliments (this guy was pretty damn cool about everything and gave good respect towards the ole' LS1) I asked if he wanted to head to a little open road so we headed toward a little stretch of highway outside of town. As soon as we were in the clear he hits it. I was stupid and not even close to the right gear so he walked me like I was standing still. I finally pulled next to him for the 4th run and right when my nose was at his badges he jumped and got just a slight lead on me and there was no pulling him this time. We turned around and headed back to town and came up on a light with no traffic in sight Light turns green and this time his 3.55s showed up a little more. He got about a half car lead on me, but by deep in to second I had a little less than 1/4 lengths on him, and third I was just barely inching him out until he finally let off. We pulled over and shot the ****, and the guy was cool as a fan. I love those Mach1s and the black was just beautiful. They are damn quick and could easily stay up with an LS1 stock for stock. The runs may have not been that close if I didn't have a passenger, but my girl was loving it (first time for her to be a passenger for something like this) and it's been a long time since I had some good runs like this.
sorry for the long *** story
Old 07-09-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Yup, those mach's with a driver that can row the gear's can move pretty well.
And they are definately a sharp looking car.
Nice run dude.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the mach 1's. I was going to get a black on black one with chrome cobra R wheels on it. It also had a 5 speed. But alas I found my firehawk for about $7000 cheaper. I think if the stang was one of the brighter muscle car colors they come in I would have scraped together enough to buy it. Real nice cars, good kill bro.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't run into a Mach 1 yet. What powertrain to they have?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Good kill.

Originally Posted by dwhiteZ28
I haven't run into a Mach 1 yet. What powertrain to they have?
Both the '03 & '04 have came with:

4.6 liter 4V V8 (281 cubic inches)
5-speed Tremec 3650 (3.38 1st gear)
8.8 solid axle w/3.55's

'03 was factory-rated @ 305 hp/320 ft-lbs tq
'04 was rated @ 310 hp/320 ft-lbs tq

Many stock Mach dyno's have shown the actual crank hp/tq is closer to 325 - 340 hp/350 - 365 tq.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

If I'm not mistaken (and it is very possible that I am) but they are the same setup as the '03-'04 cobras minus the blower. Yeah, this thing was tough, like I said he did edge me out twice, but both dig runs I got him (barely) can't wait for the 4.10s and SFC . I do love the way those mach1s look though. I have been shopping for one because the power was so similair to an LS1, but the LS1 responds so much better to mods (because I don't plan on getting juice) and I'm just to chevy heavy. Of course that might change as soon as I find a S/C cobra for under $24,000
Old 07-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
If I'm not mistaken (and it is very possible that I am) but they are the same setup as the '03-'04 cobras minus the blower.
The '03/'04 Mach has the same heads, cams, crankshaft & rear gear ratio as the '03/'04 Cobras. They also have the same displacment - 4.6 liters - but the Cobra has an iron engine block vs the Mach's aluminum block.

Other than those parts, everything else in the drivetrain is completely different...
Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

I finally got my first shot at a Mach1, and I almost got a little more than I could handle. I had a run with a 94-98 GT, and an LT1 that didn't sound so healthy, but both were over before it started so not even worth writing a long story about. But later tonight I had just finished up with dinner, and me and the old lady were heading home when I asked if she just wanted to cruise around a little bit, she agreed and we headed out. I pulled into sonic to talke to another LS1 guy I know and let him hear the new LoudMouth and an all black Mach1 (love those cars especialy black) drives by. So I fly out of Sonic and catch up with him at the first light. I asked what he had done to it, and he said it was bone stock. There was a sticker in the window that said Corsa? Performance (Not quite sure I know it started with a "c" and it had a mustang and what looked like cross-hairs on it if this sounds familiar please feel free to post a correction) but it sounded stock as far as exhoust and If the guy said it was stock than I believe him. My mods are SLP cold air kit and SLP LoudMouth. I had my girlfriend with me and he was all alone but that shouldn't make that much difference. The light turned green and we both had great launches and were dead even, which surprised me because I have the stock 3.42 gears and I believe the Mach1's come with 3.55s so I figured he would have me. I hit second and barely pulled on him. We only made it to 60 before we started to hit traffic and at that time he was right at my back tires. We cleared traffic a little and went again this time only 30 to about 80 before we started to hit traffic and the same result, he was right there and I was just barely inching him. He pulled up to me and made the usual compliments (this guy was pretty damn cool about everything and gave good respect towards the ole' LS1) I asked if he wanted to head to a little open road so we headed toward a little stretch of highway outside of town. As soon as we were in the clear he hits it. I was stupid and not even close to the right gear so he walked me like I was standing still. I finally pulled next to him for the 4th run and right when my nose was at his badges he jumped and got just a slight lead on me and there was no pulling him this time. We turned around and headed back to town and came up on a light with no traffic in sight Light turns green and this time his 3.55s showed up a little more. He got about a half car lead on me, but by deep in to second I had a little less than 1/4 lengths on him, and third I was just barely inching him out until he finally let off. We pulled over and shot the ****, and the guy was cool as a fan. I love those Mach1s and the black was just beautiful. They are damn quick and could easily stay up with an LS1 stock for stock. The runs may have not been that close if I didn't have a passenger, but my girl was loving it (first time for her to be a passenger for something like this) and it's been a long time since I had some good runs like this.
sorry for the long *** story
nice runs, unfortunately some people probably wouldn't agree with u..

take a look..http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...3&page=1&pp=25
Old 07-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

Love that attitude, its hard to come by.
Good Races, and put some headers on that thing! Just dont delete the cat, or you might not like how loud it is.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

There pretty quick stock. Ive never ridden in a LS1 car but I have ridden in a 355 whp 4.30 Mach and a stock Mach and there very easy to make fast. But one thinkg you gotta love is how good those little 4.6's sound
Old 07-09-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
nice runs, unfortunately some people probably wouldn't agree with u..

take a look..http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...3&page=1&pp=25
Hmm...Some of them had good points, but I think that some of them just have good 'ole biase
The best part was them ripping on GT's
By the way (for those wanting to call BS after reading that link) this was not the same guy. Black Mach1 versus loud LS1 (My Loudmouth), multiple runs on a highway, creepy similair but this guy posted his Friday night, my runs were Saturday night, and his location is "Stoughton" not sure if that is a real place but if it is it's no where near Enid, OK
Old 07-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Teching In

He's also racing a white LS1 you drive a red one
Old 07-09-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

My bad, missed that part
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

My bad, missed that part
i was just saying how funny that thread is thats all, since accordin to them ls1's are slower than mach 1's...
Old 07-09-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

LS1=Mach1 if the drivers know what they are doing (one of those runs I was in third when I should have been in second that was driver error and I paid for it) just my .2 cents from my experiance.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, they're both underrated from the factory. The Mach may have a bit less horsepower, but also weighs alittle less and has a gearing advantage.

But the Mach1s do sound nicer... that pretty much goes for any 4.6 Mustang, sorry guys.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Good story, and nice runs! Glad you guys kept things civil between you.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya i ran into one a couple weeks ago! we went from bout 15-85! he had me by a half a car of the start and at the top of 1st i went by him a continued to pull 4 car lenghts on him before i let off! it kind of suprised me for a mustang!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:54 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by camscam02
Ya i ran into one a couple weeks ago! we went from bout 15-85! he had me by a half a car of the start and at the top of 1st i went by him a continued to pull 4 car lenghts on him before i let off! it kind of suprised me for a mustang!
Thats very interesting from seeing what you run and what mph you are trapping... Stock M5 Machs trap about the same as you, maybe you ran an auto which are alot slower the the M5's.. If it was an auto Mach the that makes since to me since they usually only trap around 101 stock..
Old 07-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Launching!

I used to work with this guy who would always tell me about how bad his cousins 03 gt with open headers and a throttle body mod (just to mention a few) on wide *** tires was. One day after dropping him off from work he calls me up and starts saying his cousin wants some and is calling the SS (i have an 00 SS with an cold air intake and cut out cats) Super Slow. I really do try to avoid this kind of stuff so after a few attempts to excuse my way out of they say im being a *****. Either way i talk my way out of it. Immedately i get in the car just to convince myself that it might be fast enough before i unexpectedly show up at this guys house. In the middle of my confidence inspiring cruise a pair of headlights come up hard in my rearview and would you know it's the two jerks in question. Well, here we all are, so im like screw it. He follows me to the bypass outside of town and along the way i realize i cant even hear my own car when we were close cause this guy is so loud. Anyway when we hit the spot we decide to go from a 30 roll. I have a 6 speed and thought i might have enough to leave in second and gain huge momentum on his 1st to 2nd shift. So we gun it and right away he pulls me bad, but just like i thought when he shifted i flew by like he had completely gotten out of it. Three times we went and in the two that were fair jumps the result was the same. Afterward we pulled off and they couldent help but bow down to the beaSSt, complimenting her for like 30 min. Admittidly since then these guys tell the truth when that story gets told so maybe all stang owners arent all full of horse s**t. Point to be made - I've been driving this thing for two years now and it still exceeds my own expectations - I still get butterflies in my stomach for like ten minutes before i get ready to fire it up, this is what you call pure adrenaline with wheels!!! Btw now i too have open headers so screw 4.6's my s**t sounds like a nascar!