Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretty much given up on my bird...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pretty much given up on my bird...

Ok... I pretty much have given up all hope on my firebird... I have absolutely no clearance with my car... I installed qtp headers and ORY with QTECS with a couple of friends of mine. We had to all this custom nonsense just to get like 2-1/2 inches of clearance... Now its hit the ground so much that its started sagging even more... now i have like 1 inch of clearance and I cant hardly ever drive it. The only way that I will keep my car is if I can find a good install shop near where I live. Does ANYONE know of a good install shop thats not more than like 100 miles from the Fairfax, VA area? I cant seem to find any shop nearby and this site only shows those that sponser it and the nearest shop is like over 100 miles away and Im not willing to drive that far every time i need to get something installed.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your problem? Is it a poor install, poor engineered parts, or just a combination of things?

I find these 98-02 F bodies to be some of the easiest cars to work on. Since you are lowered I think you should have used Pacesetter headers and a Pacesetter Y pipe because it tucks higher than any other pipe.

I did install some 3" duals on a car that was slammed and still had decent clearance.

May also want to look into selling that POS Y pipe and getting your man Chris to custom make you a Y pipe using oval tubing for clearance
Old 07-10-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced my rear sportlines with the prokit in the rear and helped out a little...
Old 07-10-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

i feel your pain.i'm lowered in the front only and my qtp ory rubs pretty bad.a regular muffler shop should be able to help you out.i'd take it to one and atleast see what they think they can do for you.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Hooker LT's and TSP true duals, and I don't have any problems getting around. Something is seriously wrong with your setup.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you go with dual cutouts behind the headers your gunna have to give up a lot of ground clearance. Raise your car or ditch the cutouts, otherwise your gunna continue to scrape. I've got an ORY with cutouts welded in on a stock ride height camaro and I still scrape them often. They sound bad *** when open though...so I live with the scraping.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy ****! Dual QTEC's and sportlines?

You're never going to get that thing looking presentable. Your best bet is to sell the whole thing and get a custom y-pipe built, possibly from 2.5". I can't believe you didn't see this coming!

A pacesetter y-pipe would tuck nice, and probably fit up to the QTP's. Check out the Eastern members section, they might be able to help you out with a shop.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Holy ****! Dual QTEC's and sportlines?

You're never going to get that thing looking presentable. Your best bet is to sell the whole thing and get a custom y-pipe built, possibly from 2.5". I can't believe you didn't see this coming!

A pacesetter y-pipe would tuck nice, and probably fit up to the QTP's. Check out the Eastern members section, they might be able to help you out with a shop.
Ya thats what i tell myself now... wtf was i thinking. Especially on stock shocks. Im hoping that when i get my car raised back up with koni's, some springs from strano and ground control, that i will have more adjustability... but i think i am also going to get a whole new ORY setup and new catback... in the meantime tho i cant drive it so im gonna get a gixxr for a daily driver
Old 07-11-2006, 05:12 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
...in the meantime tho i cant drive it so im gonna get a gixxr for a daily driver
Sounds like a good excuse to me!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Haha, yes indeed, next saturday
Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your looking for a great shop within a 100 miles of burke, va (im in sterling, about 20-30 min away from you), check out F-Body Central in Maryland. takes about 30-40 minutes to get there. my buddies and i mainly work on our own cars, but we go up there to get them tuned and make some dyno runs. but i have seen the work they do, and it is incredible. next time you need something done, i would definetly give them a call.