Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing the right exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Choosing the right exhaust set up

Well i have 99 T/A T56 Im planning to putting on MAC header and exhaust. My question is should i use with or without emissions? If i where to choose without emissions i heard that my sensor lights turn on also you can delete them from computer,would i be able to drive it with any problems, Or drive to a shop to delete codes.??????
Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would leave the emissions. Just one less reason to get hassled. By deleting them you'll just get a little space from the engine bay, and about 10 lbs of weight reduction. Is that really worth the hassle of everything + trying to get the code tuned out?

I have an ORY but I still have my A.I.R pump hooked up and everything
Old 07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do non-emission. There is no hassle if you spend an extra $75-150 to have the codes deleted...unless you are getting a tune anyway and that will be taken care of. I just like the sound with no cats better....it'll be louder, but you'll see a few more horses without the cats.

If you haven't bought the Macs yet, you might look into some Pacesetter long tube headers. With a off-road Y-pipe, it is cheaper than the Mac setup and once again you'll see more power. Macs are a great header and option, but for the money you can do better. It's all in what you want. If you're always looking for more power, go long tube headers without emissions. Just my .02.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

ditch the egr and the cats... once you get the codes cleared you'll be a lot more satisfied than if you didnt
Old 07-10-2006, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the stickies: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/500407-egr-air-o2-sensors-motor-tranny-mount-faq.html

Why not rip AIR/EGR out? You are already non emissions compliant.

It's less work to remove than keep, and any time you do work in the engine bay you will have to screw around with the AIR and EGR systems all over again to get them out of the way....or make the job a bigger PITA in working around them.

For budget headers I'd go with Pacesetters.