Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and keep emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and keep emissions?

Does anyone offer headers that allow you to keep the stock emissions equipment on your 01-02 car?

Was told by several dyno guys that disabling all the emissions stuff for the sake of picking up 2-5 hp is not worth the trouble. All but one of them suggested getting headers with the required ports, and going with a catted Y pipe.

Does anyone offer decent package like that? I have read horror stories on the low-hanging Y pipes, and people dragging their convertors on simple inclines.

I looked at Kooks, but it looks like they only have a race version for the 01-02 LS1's. QTP looks good, but from reading here, the Y pipe is terrible, ORY or catted, doesn't matter.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the major header makers (even kooks) have models that put AIR and/or egr fittings on their headers. Whether or not you get them with them is your choice. You're not really going to benefit hp wise with or without; I would decide based on how strict your emissions tests are (visual for example).