Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 Bad Coils? No way... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 8 Bad Coils? No way... HELP!!

I was recently driving and all of a sudden my car stopped dead in its tracks and died... I pushed it to the side of the road because it would not start again, but it would still crank. It sounded like it wasnt getting either spark or fuel, and I could hear the fuel pump pumping, so i geussed it was spark.

Anyways, I went to Autozone and picked up a code reader. I scanned the computer and got codes: P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, P0356, P0357, and P0358. For those that are unfamiliar with these codes, they stand for "Ignition coil X primary/secondary circuit malfunction".

Now I was wonder how the hell could every coil go bad at the same time, and I decided that is impossible...

Next day the car started up fine and the codes went away, but now its throwing them again, btu the car still runs, it just has a very slight skip which is causing the car to chatter when taking off at very low RPMS...

I have no clue where to start looking for what would cause all the coils to malfunction, so what should I do? Where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance guys
-Scott

EDIT - I recently did the plugs and wires with NGK TR55 plugs gapped at .059 I'm not sure if that would affect it much but just throwing that out there.

Last edited by Sk8runeg; 07-12-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Your problem sounds like the ground for the coils is loose.
Follow the ground wires from the main coil plugs they're black w/white stripe, most LS1's have this going to the back of the driver side head.
Wiggle the coil main harness and it should cut out when its running.

Check the ignition relay too.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

oh god... about 6 months ago I had to remove the drivers side head and one of the ground wires going to the back of the head snapped... I put a new connector on it and it was fine but I hope that is the problem and it just came undone...

Thanks
-Scott
Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Teching In

I had the same connector snap when I did my heads, definitely sounds like the culprit.

It was kind of a pain but I was able to get some solder on the new connection back there and I don't anticipate any problems.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

ya pray for me that thats the problem... If not then the car is going to a new home...

Thanks
-Scott

Quick Reply: 8 Bad Coils? No way... HELP!!