Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transgo performance shif t kit question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow transgo performance shif t kit question

i am fixin to order my fuddle racing 3400 2.1 convertor and get my trans rebuilt with the transgo performer shift kit b/c its my understanding that the stall will soften the shifts and this kit will fix it.
my question is i heard there are a few adj. to be made to the firmness levels wit hthese shift kits, i have to tell the tranny builder what level i want it set at or something? im not to savy on these things so i need some help. i like a firm shift .
heres the link to the kit i bought it it help determain what shift kit i got:
http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/custo...&cat=22&page=1.

thanks in advance for everyones help, i just dont want to get this thing rebuilt and reinstalled and it not be right the first time.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

bump for the afternoon any help at all is appreciated
Old 07-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

First thing you do is go to a transmission shop and ask if they install trango shift kits. The answer should be a plain yes or no with no excuses, reasons or opinions of why they don't.
When you find a shop, set the job up and tell them what converter you're going to use and how you want it to shift.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

they do install the shift kits but he told me there are several calibrations to make it shift harder/faster. he told me to figure out what level i want it at. i want it firm but i dont want it to be a neckbreaker, thats what im asking, sorry if i was confusing.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Banned

I don't mean to sound like a smartass but you need to tell the guy who's installing this. Talking about it here is going to get you no where, trust me. The last thing you need is to write down someone elses specs for your car. The installer needs to determine what options to take to get it to shift the way you want with YOUR PARTICULAR APPLICATION.

Ignore anything you read about transgo washers for the 1-2 accumulator, there have been hundreds of posts here, seems people think thats all there is to it.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

i went as firm as you could with a Transgo kit and i have a 3600. Told the guy full race even tho it is my daily driver. You can pick between 1, 2, or 3 washers/shims. 1 wont do **** when you a converter also. Pick 2 or 3...i picked 3 and i love it.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

It depends on the rest of your setup also. Vacuum modulated or not, feed holes drilled out or stock, torque management yes/no, will also affect shift quality, and you can't simply say X amount of washers is the way to go in every tranny.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
First thing you do is go to a transmission shop and ask if they install trango shift kits. The answer should be a plain yes or no with no excuses, reasons or opinions of why they don't. When you find a shop, set the job up and tell them what converter you're going to use and how you want it to shift.
This is good advice - I had mine installed by a shop that does them all the time. You want somebody who really knows these things. That being said, I have the same kit you do from the same supplier. He modifies the instructions to call for extra-large holes in the separator plate. This alone is going to result in firmer shifts. For this reason, he recommends no more than one spacer in the 1-2 accumulator. This is what I have and it is firm enough and works great.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
It depends on the rest of your setup also. Vacuum modulated or not, feed holes drilled out or stock, torque management yes/no, will also affect shift quality, and you can't simply say X amount of washers is the way to go in every tranny.
OK then, feed holes drilled out, NO torque management, stall = 3 WASHERS!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

yes thats what im talkin about the washers hes fimiar with the kit im getting hence why im buying that kit. its not vaccum modulated. im installing it myself its easy why pay someone to install a tranny? hes just rebuilding it for me thats it, he asked me about the spacer adj. how many i wanted. normally id have said 1 mabey 2 but i heard that the 3400 stall will make the shifts even mushier, hence the reason for this thread i want to see what other people with similar setups were running. so to those who have given there opinions from experience thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

oh.. feed hole will be drilled tq management adj too
Old 07-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
yes thats what im talkin about the washers hes fimiar with the kit im getting hence why im buying that kit. its not vaccum modulated. im installing it myself its easy why pay someone to install a tranny? hes just rebuilding it for me thats it, he asked me about the spacer adj. how many i wanted. normally id have said 1 mabey 2 but i heard that the 3400 stall will make the shifts even mushier, hence the reason for this thread i want to see what other people with similar setups were running. so to those who have given there opinions from experience thanks!
Man wtf? first
i have to tell the tranny builder what level i want it set at or something? im not to savy on these things so i need some help.
why do you have to tell the trans builder this if you're installing the kit?
And in the last post you say again he needs to know how many spacers to install. AGAIN WHY?! if YOU are installing the kit?

oh.. feed hole will be drilled tq management adj too
Just one feed hole? maybe a typo, what size are you going to drill each feed hole? Any ideas? There are 9 holes to drill.

My experience on the washer/spacers, take the pan off and remove three bolts to change them. So easy you shouldn't worry about it.
What you need to get right is the 3-4 friction material and clearance, plus the feed hole sizes.

I predict another " transgo ruined my transmission" thread in the future. Going by the inconsistant 'who's doing what' in this thread.
Have someone build it, you install a kit, something goes wrong you're going to have no idea who to blame or where to start.
But thats just my opinion and I'm just some ******* who tries to help. Heres to 15 minutes wasted
Old 07-14-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

1st off if your going to be a smartass learn to read 8m8mfh
hes rebiulding the trans and installing the shift kit. NOWHERE do i say im installing the shift kit at all hes the builder not me, why would he ask where i want him to set it if im going to be installing it. the only thing im doing like stated is removing and installing the entire tranny. as far as the feed holes he builds trannys every single day at a chevrolet dealership, he knows the sizes i dont. and i never called you an ******* and if you feel your time was wasted then look in the mirror for the person responsible.
i simply asked a question to get some help, you misread or misinterpreted the question i was asking from the start. sorry if mabey i wrote the question confusing.. i said that earlier too. i dont know much about trannys like also stated again thats the reason i asked in here.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

yes thats what im talkin about the washers hes fimiar with the kit im getting hence why im buying that kit. its not vaccum modulated. im installing it myself its easy why pay someone to install a tranny
Sounds a little confusing.
So here we are talking about the 1-2 spacers, thats it? you're installing a transgo kit and all is worried about is how many spacers to install. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
This is good advice - I had mine installed by a shop that does them all the time. You want somebody who really knows these things. That being said, I have the same kit you do from the same supplier. He modifies the instructions to call for extra-large holes in the separator plate. This alone is going to result in firmer shifts. For this reason, he recommends no more than one spacer in the 1-2 accumulator. This is what I have and it is firm enough and works great.
This is how mine is setup and I love it!!