Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Polished Wheel Trouble HEELLPPP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Wheel Trouble HEELLPPP!!!

Ok my tires got dirty driving through somewhere it had rained hard and washed some mud onto the road. I stopped by a friends and sprayed some tire cleaner on the tires and brushed them off then noticed my rims have cleaner over spray on them so i tried to clean it off, its not coming off, looks like they have water spot stains but they wont come off. How the hell do i get rid of this, did i F them up? Is there a polish that is slightly abrasive or something that might take it off? What kind of polish do i need to be using on them anyway? This is my first set of polished wheels. THANKS!!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Banned

was there brake dust on the wheels before it rained? when brake dust is on the wheels, and water hits it, it sort of stains the wheels like your saying... but so could wheel cleaner... are you certain it was the cleaner that did it?

also, what have you tried using to get it off? i have heard a good combo is mothers billet polish, and a powerball, if you dont already have one. i would try that first, if it doesnt work, theres some polish from hardware stores i believe that everybody was talking about a while ago, ill search for the thread right now... but its said to be excellent for old, hazy oxidated polished wheels
Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

also, you should start carrying around a MF towel and some glass cleaner with NO amonia, its suposed to be good inbetween polishes and keeps the shine, i plan to keep a can of it in my car at all times, if its about to rain, ill clean the wheels with the glass cleaner to make sure they are free of brake dust that way it doesnt stain
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=polish

found it... he had the same problem as you i guess
Old 07-12-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was 100% sure tire cleaner. Ill check out that link in the morning. Still dont have any pics to post yet but i will. Thanks man..
Old 07-12-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simichrome or Nox-7 should take it right off!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any autoparts store sell them??
Old 07-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Launching!

your wheels have been sprayed with an acid in the cleaner. its great for chrome. But polished it eats up the clear. I did it. I took my striaght grinder and put a buffer on it and polished the hell outa some wheels. It came out. I will post the pics of the wheels up tomorrow just for show.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best thing is they are like 4 days old and im already Fing them up whoohoo
Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11secondhorse
Any autoparts store sell them??
Simichrome is really better, but you usually have to order it from eastwood or find a specialty shop (knife collector, jeweler store, hot rod shop etc).

Wal-mart sells a generic simichrome that works really well. It's called "metal polish" Its only in supercenters (with a grocery store) and its in the grocery section on the aisle with the furniture polish.

Nox-7 is available at advance auto and lowes where I live.... Its in a green and white bottle.

With either one, just clean the wheel...rub in the polish till it turns black and your streaks are gone and then buff it off with a soft cloth.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uh ohhh.... if your wheels ARE clear-coated AND you ate through some of it with wheel cleaner... then you will probably have to strip the rest of it off and THEN polish them. The bad news is that is alot harder to fix, but the good news is that isn't extremely hard either. If you find out your wheels were clear coated and you ate through some of it here is a thread that can help you out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/472189-stripping-polishing-oem-ws6-wheels.html
Old 07-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

if i recall, tt2's dont come clearcoated, at least thats what i've researched, usually its the high end wheels that come clearcoated.

but ya, the wheels should be fine, just get some good metal polish, like shown above in the link, and try it by hand or a power ball, one of my friends had a z with tt2's, and our OTHER friend decided to "clean" them off with typical wheel cleaner/degreaser, and it took its toll on the aluminum, but he spent some time on the wheels and they polished out nicely.

also, i believe the nox-7 stuff rolltide is talking about is the same stuff in the link i posted