Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing a electric cutout

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing a electric cutout

whats the best cutout? how and who could install the electric cutout? Im new to this whole electric cutout. TIA
Old 07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you do a search in this forum, you should come across a few different debates and polls... the cliff notes version is that you can choose between QTP, McCord powerplate & DMH...they all have their issues with failing. i would go with the company that offers the best warranty/customer service as it seems to be hit or miss with these things across any manufacturer's line. (it seems there is more bashing of the QTP's, but i think it's just because there are a ton more of them out there than the others, so naturally that will happen...then again this could just be ignorance speaking but i would imagine that the failure % is close to their competition)

i'm going QTP since they are close to me and one of their employees is an active member on the local boards so i can always beat his head in if something happens with mine

you'll probably want the cutout welded in under the rear passenger seat area where the indentation in the floor is...give the electric piece to the shop doing the welding so they can maximize clearance, but don't have them install it because i guarantee they will not want to wire it up and therefore they will not be able to test it. when you go to wire it, you can use the rubber grommet in the floor of the car in the passenger back seat area to get the wires into the car. then you'll want to run them under the carpet or under the plastic molding to the dash or wherever you are mounting the switch
Old 07-12-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have had my elec.QTP cutout for about 3 years, it was on the car probably 2 of them..still works fine....
Old 07-12-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

difference in sound and performance if welded at back passenger seat?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

imsick said it all. QTP has the most out there. Its what i have and never skipped a beat. Warranties dont mean anything if they dont answer the phone(if they have one), email or pony express.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest DMH. 4 year warranty.Only I have yet to intsall it because the cut out sounds so good it's always open!
Anyway, I think regardless of the brand you buy you are bound to have a fault somewhere, and DMH has the longest warranty available.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

I have the QTP and love the sound, esp. with a big cam in the car.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:20 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a McCord myself. BYUNSpeed is the only sponsor that sells them.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Cutouts sound MEAN!!! I like it so much I drive all the time with it open GREAT MOD I have a regular cutout though
Old 07-13-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

how do the cutouts work that arent electric...a plate you slide in/out when you want it closed/open?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

DMH here, very easy install
Old 07-13-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a QTP e-cutout for 2 years, and was constantly having problems with it. Had it rebuilt a few times by QTP and rebuilt it myself a few times as well. I got tired of fixing that junk, and bought a McCord. The McCord works flawlessly.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
how do the cutouts work that arent electric...a plate you slide in/out when you want it closed/open?
A plate that you bolt on that has 3 holes for the matching bolts that are on the cutout-pipe itself...
Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Default QTP cut outs

i hate to hitch a ride on this thread, and i don't know where to put this exactly, but i'm trying to help a friend out with no computer, and to see if i can get a quicker response. he's got a 96' imp ss running dual qtp's. had them for maybe three summers now and has gone through maybe 5 or 6 of them. motors keep blowing out. he still has a couple blown ones laying on his workbench. now he has one stuck open and qtp is like 20-21 days out on a replacement. what sucks is he's going to the car craft nationals next weekend in minnesota. just wondering if there is anyone at qtp that can get this resolved quickly. i guess he just spoke with someone there, and that's where i got the three week turn around. thanks for any help.

p.s. he has a supercharged LT-1, pretty much stock except for headers, and some other bolt ons, pushing over 500 hp.

Last edited by sswagon1; 07-13-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sswagon1
i hate to hitch a ride on this thread, and i don't know where to put this exactly, but i'm trying to help a friend out with no computer, and to see if i can get a quicker response. he's got a 96' imp ss running dual qtp's. had them for maybe three summers now and has gone through maybe 5 or 6 of them. motors keep blowing out. he still has a couple blown ones laying on his workbench. now he has one stuck open and qtp is like 20-21 days out on a replacement. what sucks is he's going to the car craft nationals next weekend in minnesota. just wondering if there is anyone at qtp that can get this resolved quickly. i guess he just spoke with someone there, and that's where i got the three week turn around. thanks for any help.

p.s. he has a supercharged LT-1, pretty much stock except for headers, and some other bolt ons, pushing over 500 hp.
if he keeps blowing through them like that, he should consider moving them farther back on the exhaust system to keep them a little cooler and thus prolonging the life of the electric motors...he also has to lay off the switch when the cutout reaches its stops
Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

I have had a dmh cutout for about a month and it works awseome.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a DMH cut out. have had for 7 months. over the weekend it took a dive. emailed dave at DMH, he siad to send it in and he will fix it.

now i need to go to the post office and send it LOL
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

any contact info about dmh or mccord that i've been reading about? hopefully i can help him get everything squared away before the show. only 6 days to go.
thanks for the help so far.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sswagon1
any contact info about dmh or mccord that i've been reading about? hopefully i can help him get everything squared away before the show. only 6 days to go.
thanks for the help so far.
No sponsors sell DMH's, but BYUNSpeed sells McCords. McCord has their own website and has some good info/pics/video of theirs. BYUNSpeed sells them cheaper with free shipping.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

speed inc sells DMH cutouts