Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aaaahhh I f*ckin aaahhh 4L60e

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry aaaahhh I f*ckin aaahhh 4L60e

ok here it is I have been working on my 2001 z28 camaro for 5 weeks now I have read every post in this forum about shifting problems with a 4l60e none have helped me. I dropped my tranny to change my rear main seal and I got it all done put the car in reverse backed up put it in OD and it will not shift
I have red lined it and nothin, when I down shift it manually OD TO D nothin D to 2nd it kicks down and the same for 2nd to 1st. I can manually shift from 1st to 2nd when I manually shift from 2nd to D it is like it is in N untill about 4000rpm and @ 4000 it trys to grab also the speedometer is not working. Mind you the tranny shifted and everything before I took it down I got a code reader and it is not giving off any codes . I have bought the haynes manual for camaro also the haynes transmission book after I got home and of course I had to listen to the parts guy at auto zone the book covered every tranny but the 4L60e it says it inside the book not on the cover the jackasses. I tracked down a tranny shop that ordered the ASTG (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE GROUP) tech manual for the 4L60-e and I am still stumped I triple checked everything I never took the tranny apart just disconnected the connectors labeled so I did not get them mixed up I can honestly say this car has just about beat me. I am all ears right now
Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, let me get this straight... It will not even start out in OD or D?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the speedo doesn't work it sounds like something is still unplugged?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Teching In

no no sorry I was not clear it will start out in D or OD but it will not shift gears on its own
I know I am smarter then this damn car it is just got the teachers book and I dont lol. according to the tech manual if A & B soleniods are fried then the end result is 3rd only.
I am checking the vehicle speed sensor to see if its done. guyz I am so close to sayin f*ck and getting another tranny cause I'm so pissed
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

just calm down, take a deep breath, and realize **** doesnt always go smoothly. You will get it worked out, just be patient and crack open a cold one and relax for a minute. Someone on here will help you. That is all i have to say. Good luck
Old 07-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HD1911
just calm down, take a deep breath, and realize **** doesnt always go smoothly. You will get it worked out, just be patient and crack open a cold one and relax for a minute. Someone on here will help you. That is all i have to say. Good luck

I'm buyin gonna go check the vehicle speed sensor now brb
Old 07-14-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Here is something worth trying.
Unplug everything. Now plug everything back in making sure all the connectors seat properly. Now pull the PCM fuse for a awhile to reset the PCM.
Put PCM fuse back in and give it a shot.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:30 AM
Teching In

here is a pic of the transmission case connector this connector is suppose to be clear of tranny fluid and dirt well there is tranny fluid and I live in the country with a dirt driveway hhhhmmmm. the pic is not that good I am still all ears
Attached Thumbnails aaaahhh I f*ckin aaahhh 4L60e-picture-004.jpg  
Old 07-14-2006, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

i know that i had the same problem last year and i proceded like you and i changed the trans and you know what, it was still doing the same shizzle, i checked all the wires and what not u know the usual even came down to changing the buffer box still no fix and then the least thing that i didnt even think of was the computer and let me tell you i put in a new 1 and was layin down i few days worth of rubber when i got done, worked fine for me maybe it would do the same for you

if you got a buddy try his computer and see what happens just a thought,
but good luck
Old 07-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Teching In

God Damn it I redid the big green plug and both shift solenoids still nothin in D 1 gear thats it. I can still shift from 1st to 2nd manually but D just revs but at high rpm it tries to grab and still no speedometer it is still staying at 0mph. So I am still stuck now I move on to the Vehicle Speed Sensor that is the last connection I got left that I unpluged when I dropped the tranny, so if there are any genies out there TO H*ll with 3 wishes I just got 1.... LET let every one know what happens
Old 07-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If there's nothing there.. bring it to a shop. Sometimes, that's the only way.

On a side note, 4l60's suck period, they are weak, can not take alot of abuse, and if you're making good power, will consistantly be a problem... so be aware.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

4l60e tranmissions are weak , but if you get one with it built up totally its about like having a 4l80e .
Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sure that is debatable.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Launching!

wow this is a good post I recently had a simmilar problem where my 3rd & 4th gears dont have any thrust out of them if I rev it up it pushes a little but not much at all. 1st&2nd are awsome never worked better but it seems like the clutches ore bands are slipping in 3&4 ... I wasnt hounding on it when i noticed the problem either but I'm guessing somethign is broke haha and to be honest I havent even unpluged it once it's still in there the same way it came form the factroy.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Default Thank God

ok it is done the S.O.B. shifted and the speedometer is workin the VSS (speed sensor) was bad $30 at autozone man I can honestly say that if anyone wants to know something about a 4L60-E I am pretty sure I could answer it. I can say this LS1TECH.com is my second home now without this site and the folks on here I dont think I could have have got my 2001 Z-28 back on the road. Thank you LS1

Rocket

Old 07-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bifster
wow this is a good post I recently had a simmilar problem where my 3rd & 4th gears dont have any thrust out of them if I rev it up it pushes a little but not much at all. 1st&2nd are awsome never worked better but it seems like the clutches ore bands are slipping in 3&4 ... I wasnt hounding on it when i noticed the problem either but I'm guessing somethign is broke haha and to be honest I havent even unpluged it once it's still in there the same way it came form the factroy.

what tranny r u runnin