Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Shifting

Old 07-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with Shifting

Hey there. I have been reading a bit on this board for a while (intrested in doing a LS1 swap later on). Anywho, I just recently got my license, and for the past few years, I've been busting my butt to get the car I wanted, well, it paid off, I got my hands on a 1969 Nova down the street, 383 stroker 350 tranny. The only problem I've encountered with this car is the shifter. It is a Hurst Promatic 2 shifter, and it takes some time getting used to. However, before I possibly ruin my tranny completely, I'd like to make sure what I'm doing is correct.

Before, whenver I'd start the car up, I'd just go from park to drive, and go. However, upon me taking the car out with my dad, he claims I'm doing this wrong. According to him (long time mechanic) if from a dead stop (including red lights) I should always put it in 1st, then move to 2nd for a cruising speed and when I'm getting on it, kick it to drive. Currently don't have a tach, but intend to invest in one in the future. If what I am doing is wrong. The shift light/learning the proper rpms will prove to be helpful obviously.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, I'd just rather ask a stupid question then pay out the @ss for a new tranny. Thanks.

Search this Thread