Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hex key broken off in ARP stud...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hex key broken off in ARP stud...

I've got a small situation here and was wondering if anyone has some effective ideas as to how I can get out of it. I have an ARP head stud (small ones) that has a piece of a hex key stuck inside of it. From what I can tell, it broke off while being tightened down due to not using the correct size hex key (using a smaller key). The piece is almost flush with the stud and I'm just sitting here wondering how I'm going to get this thing out. Any ideas are welcome. I took a few pics, but my camera didn't focus in on the stud head since it's so small.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try 2 small pics and twist the broken piece in the opposite direction.
another idea is to find a small punch and try to dislodge the broken piece.
either way, place some rags around the stud, this way if a piece comes off and you don't see it, it will be caught with the rag.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen this happen before and it just took a magnet to get it out. The piece just broke off, lost its tension, and was sitting in the top of the bolt. It might work for you too.

Otherwise, you have to use a pick, punch, or drill it out. Depending on how 'stuck' it is.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real question is why were you tightening hard enought to break it?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
The real question is why were you tightening hard enought to break it?
That's what I was wondering also, aren't they supposed to be "hand tight." Anyways, if you really need to get it out, vice grips always work, but you will most likely have to order a new stud from ARP. Or, if there is enough room, screw two nuts onto the stud, tighten them into eachother with some force and so they line up, then use a socket over both nuts to thread stud it out.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help so far guys, it seems to be lodged in there so a magnet won't be enough to pull it out (I've already tried). This stud also is not installed in my block, I have it sitting here on my desk. I also was not the one who broke this piece off in the stud, I bought a set of ARP head studs from a member here and this is how it arrived. I'm hoping I can somehow take this piece out, seeing as how I was not informed that this stud was in this condition, I'm not a happy camper. Anymore input is welcome.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

Well you can install the stud different. Tighten two nuts against each other and that will let you get it in there, and once its in it should still be fine.