Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best MAF and size to get on a bolt on car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best MAF and size to get on a bolt on car?

Anyone have a preference on what MAF manufacturer and size will work best on a pure bolt on ls1 and possibly h/c/i later.

I know some of the MAF's on mustangs have problems and have to be clocked to find the proper A/F ratio and run smoothly.

Also, is there a decent gain seen in upgrading the TB on bolt on cars or should I save the change till the heads are put on?
Old 07-15-2006, 05:27 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock MAF is good for plenty of power, leave her alone.

Ported throttle body is a great mod for bolton cars and up. Next best thing is to slap on a 90mm intake/TB.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok...stock maf is fine...u can take your chances and descreen it but the possible neg. side effects outway the .02 hp you may gain....stock maf is great up to 500hp (from what i hear)

port the stock throttle body....dont be dumb and wast 360 bucks on an aftermarket one like i did ported flow just as good or even better then nearly any aftermarket.... deff. worth doing!!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

For starters I did port my TB and it is nice. Also, I feel like it helped performace. My stupid question is.... how if I dont do anything to my MAF(Inner diameter) can it allow more flow to the TB? What is the size of stock maf? Is it bigger than 75 or 78mm? I have not looked at it for a while, but it seems smaller than the TB. Because the stock MAF has a big blade piller in the middle. For the record when the car was new I bought a aftermarket ported and polished MAF housing using stock internals. We all did back then. It was one of the first mods you could do yourself or get cheep.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Tech Resident

STOCK FTW!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
STOCK FTW!
????? Do you mean FTW because you hate stock or FTW you would only go stock because you know everything there is to know about MAF sensors and in your informed postion you would stick with the stock MAF over anything else? Such as de-screeening, cutting blade out of middle, P & P, or buying aftermarket? Sorry I dont speak FTW lingo.....
Old 07-16-2006, 01:06 AM
That's what she said...

The MAF is a SENSOR. You wouldn't mod your O2 sensors would you?

Porting the MAF will allow more air to flow through than the computer is accounting for. This unmetered air is going to lean the car out and *might* make a little more power, but it's not a good way to do it. Some people have reported gains with porting their MAF's and getting aftermarket MAF's for this reason, but this is playing with fire, just not quite as hot. Tuning the car to run leaner PROPERLY is a great thing, but jacking with the MAF is not good.

You don't see people unplugging their KNOCK SENSORS so they don't get timing retard do you?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:07 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The MAF is a SENSOR. You wouldn't mod your O2 sensors would you?
When you say mod you mean ****-up....so yes. I would do it.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:11 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Tuning the car to run leaner PROPERLY is a great thing, but jacking with the MAF is not good.
LOL! That reminds me! A few days ago some kid came into my non-sponsor shop and brought in his maf to see if he had ported it right and why it wasn't working and the car ran like more than complete ***. I took a look at it and gave him the benefit of the doubt when i could look straight through it and see absolutely nothing. Apparently it was a mistake on giving him that luxury because he never took the sensor out of the housing when he ported it!!!!!

I seriously felt bad for him because he was a rookie when it comes to cars, but still.... I hope he isnt on tech because he will know if he reads this that I am talking about him. Atleast I won't say his name.....Chris.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my car dynotuned the other day and came up with 332 rwhp. It was 95 deg too. but anyway,to the point! My tuner suggested a bigger MAF From what i've read on here the stocker is fine with just the bolt-ons, right? He is a slp dealer so maybe he is trying to make a sale or something. Also a 160 stat which i agree but just curious about the maf.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:25 AM
That's what she said...

An SLP is possibly the worst MAF you can put on!

The OEM z06 MAF's are 85mm w/ no screen and work well but need tuning work to get the tables down.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I know of 8 second cars that have got the stock MAF on them. Don't mess with that, there's nothing to really be gained by changing it. I know that if you have a 85mm lid and a 90mm TB, it makes sense to get a maf that is bigger... but if you're runnign a large intake tract like that, you're probably running a wild n/a setup and would benefit from a SD tune.

For a bolt on car, the best thing to bolt on, is the stock MAF, don't touch it.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BobbyWS6
????? Do you mean FTW because you hate stock or FTW you would only go stock because you know everything there is to know about MAF sensors and in your informed postion you would stick with the stock MAF over anything else? Such as de-screeening, cutting blade out of middle, P & P, or buying aftermarket? Sorry I dont speak FTW lingo.....
i mean i wouldn't change OR ALTER my stock MAF sensor if you paid me. it's not a good idea, unless you like potential intake problems.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Teching In

ok so the stock maf is good.

So from what I am gathering to get the power I want, around 500 crank... might be tough to attain with na without something more radical and unstreetable(which is exactly what i dont want).

I guess I'd be better off going blown for more streetability and power.

With pure bolt ons will I be able to get near 400RWHP, i.e. LT's, offroad x-pipe, duals, free ram air box, TB, 160 thermo, and a good tune?
I'll get these mods as soon as the sale of the car is finalized, what do you think the average 5-7psi vortech/procharger kit will put me at with those mods.

I want streetability and drivability but I would like to get close to the 400mark so I can hang with vettes and blown cobras...nothing too wild just enough to run with the big boys.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:46 PM
That's what she said...

With full boltons and a tune, you might hit 350rwhp. With a t-rex and bad *** tune, you might hit 500 crank hp (420rwhp), but you could do it alot easier with a set of heads and smaller cam.

You can hit 400rwhp pretty easily with a decent sized cam and stock heads.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok my opinion is to go ahead and put one on it ive got a granatelli on mine but on my butt o meter really didnt notice a change but im sure its bc i have the stock air lid and everything so that might be why but go for it and get the granatelli i paid $160 for mine off ebay
Old 07-18-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

i also paid like 180$ for my granatelli off of ebay, why not uncle sam is payin for it. I prefer coax with Z pattern, although the real money shot is a 1-4-3 kill burst.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:07 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by bjamick
Ok my opinion is to go ahead and put one on it ive got a granatelli on mine but on my butt o meter really didnt notice a change but im sure its bc i have the stock air lid and everything so that might be why but go for it and get the granatelli i paid $160 for mine off ebay
So you didn't feel a change and you're recommending he spend $160 on it? The reason you didn't feel a change is not because you have the stock lid, it's because there wasn't a change to be felt.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I know of 8 second cars that have got the stock MAF on them.
Honest question here, who? And what is their setup?

A stock unmolested MAF is 75mm. That's quite the bottleneck even if they're running a 400 shot of giggle gas to get the job done.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
That's quite the bottleneck even if they're running a 400 shot of giggle gas to get the job done.
Not if it is direct port.