Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Experts - Combustion chamber damage

Old 07-16-2006, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head Experts - Combustion chamber damage

Greets all,

I just need some opinions on the damage to a combustion chamber on a set of stage II ported heads.

The last 2 pictures are the exhaust and intake valves from that chamber. The exhaust valve was visibily bent and would not sit flush. I installed a different exhaust valve as you can see in some of the terrible pics and on eyeball inspection it seated fine and there does not appear to be any actual damage to the valve seat.

There is some material off of the plug hole, and a couple of gouges in the chamber face, like something let go on that cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails Head Experts - Combustion chamber damage-head-002.jpg   Head Experts - Combustion chamber damage-head-003.jpg   Head Experts - Combustion chamber damage-head-004.jpg   Head Experts - Combustion chamber damage-head-005.jpg   Head Experts - Combustion chamber damage-head-006.jpg  

Old 07-16-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

did u look at the top of the pistons? maybe the piston came into contact with the valve..?? any broken springs??
Old 07-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Did the spark plug come out in one piece from that cylinder?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

All I have are the heads, I did not get to look at the engine (wasn't my engine).

The springs are in great shape, they are Comp 978 duals with around 4k miles. My basic opinion was they would be fine, just need some machine work. I got them for a great price.

They are Absolute Speed Stage II 241 castings with Manley 2.02/1.575 int./exh... Manley valve kits are around $100 a set so I planned on brand new valves all around.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002blackZ
Did the spark plug come out in one piece from that cylinder?
Funny, I was thinking the same thing... because of the nature of the damage... To tell you the truth I don't know much of the back story on what happened to the motor. The owner had them removed by a shop, after his tranny lost the 3-4 bands (A4) and the engine appearantly over-revved(?)...

The exhaust valve was bent and the intake valve was scored but not bent. The face of the combustion chamber has some gouging/scoring and the material missing from the plug hole base...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KsMySS
Hey man those can be fixed no problem. Patriot just fixed mine and they look brand new. Heres a pic of mine to give you and idea how bad mine were.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

To Azrael, your head is fine. Any semi experienced tig welder/machinist could have that fixed in a couple of hours. Probably going to run you around $250. I have fixed way worst than that, and would fix it for you, but I dont have time to mess with heads anymore. Good luck.

Brandon
Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, they dont look too bad at all. could probably clean up the CCs yourslef with a dremel and some polishing compond, just to get rid of any places for carbon hotspots to form. Youd want to try and do the same on all cylinders though for uiformity.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Yeah, they dont look too bad at all. could probably clean up the CCs yourslef with a dremel and some polishing compond, just to get rid of any places for carbon hotspots to form. Youd want to try and do the same on all cylinders though for uiformity.
Just focus on getting the one chamber back to spec. Weld up the plug boss, and rethread, and weld up any gouges. Dont try and go in there and take material out of all the chambers, unless you are very skilled they will not ever be right. You are also going to probably need a valve job atleast on that one CC. Chances are that your seat moved enough to effect valve seal.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks all, I have them at the machinist now, and the cost is very close to what Brandon suggested $280 for the fix, full valve job, and assembly. I am just waiting for the Rev valves I ordered...
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If they had bent valves I would change valve guides as well while you are in there.
Why take a risk of those smoking afterwards. Put some nice bronze guides and you got nice new heads.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KsMySS
Yah that what happens when a piston basically disengrates in the bore. But i just got them in the mail today from patriot and they are perfect fixed for cheaper then i thought was possible.
Thanks to Gunnar and Patriot for that great fix.

Glad we could help you out.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
If they had bent valves I would change valve guides as well while you are in there.
Why take a risk of those smoking afterwards. Put some nice bronze guides and you got nice new heads.
I thought about that. I had one bent valve... Would you happen to know where I can get new guides? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

We have bronze guides that would work for your repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Experts - Combustion chamber damage