Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!panel under FIPK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !panel under FIPK?

I tried cutting up the metal panel that comes with the FIPK in an effort to get some more air through there. Tried cutting it with a dremel and mangled the **** out of it.

So, I decided to just leave the whole panel out. I know, I was thinking those K&N guys are alot smarter than me...if they include it in their kit, there's a reason for it.

Well, the only reason I can see for it is to secure the filter (theres a nut/bolt on the tip of the filter that screws into the panel) and to attach the egr breather to.

So basically I have a big ol K&N just hangin out there. Is this going to be a problem? It's relatively secure, it's not rock solid, but you have to use a little force to budge it.

I have thought though that if this was such a great idea...why does no one else do it?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:04 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the radiator support also.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

That upper piece of sheet metal also secures the top of the radiator. If it were me, I would replace it. You can call K&N and they should be able to send you a new one for free.

Chris
Old 07-16-2006, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
That's the radiator support also.
You're right. I took it out and was like damn, the radiator and fan are kinda loose. It was'nt like super loose but it definitely caught my eye.

Should I put the panel back on, am I going to F anything up, or just leave it out?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:12 PM
That's what she said...

I'd put it back on. You don't want your fans running into your pullies do ya?

Another option is to put the stock plastic radiator support on and cut it out for FRA if you've really got the itch. You're not going to see any gains from doing anything, plus you've got the SS scoop for plenty of flow action.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

I have the FIPK and Iv heard of people taking the windshield washer fluid tank out, I dont know if it would get more air in there or not, Anybody else heard of this or tried it?(Might sound stupid!)
Old 07-16-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

I took my washer fluid reservoir out.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

I put the stock support back on for now. Not sure if I'm going to hack that one up too. I've got to think it will improve air flow a little bit atleast.

Taking the washer fluid reservoir out is'nt a bad idea. Never use it anyways.

I'll take another look at it once my ported TB comes in.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

hey guys i just got my kn intake system free brand new and i just installed it, super chevy is this weekend i'm gonna try it with the regular setup and then with the factory rad. support with the free ram air mod done and see exactly what the difference is with it.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:42 PM
That's what she said...

I took my washer fluid res. out a long time ago. I also painted that greyish looking thing in front of the hood latch black. Cleaned up the look quite a bit.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

so what you just don't have washer fluid, that kinda sounds dumb for a daily driven car though.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:21 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Slvr98z28
so what you just don't have washer fluid, that kinda sounds dumb for a daily driven car though.
Nope, I don't have any at all. It has never bothered me before. If I'm on a long drive or something and needed to clean it off, I can use the thing at the gas station.

I can't even remember when I took it off (2 years ago?), and it has just recently become my weekend warrior.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Nope, I don't have any at all. It has never bothered me before. If I'm on a long drive or something and needed to clean it off, I can use the thing at the gas station.

I can't even remember when I took it off (2 years ago?), and it has just recently become my weekend warrior.
I have never ever used it on any car I've owned.

I hate it when your driving behind someone when they use theres...sprays that **** all over your car.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:39 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Traitor
I have never ever used it on any car I've owned.

I hate it when your driving behind someone when they use theres...sprays that **** all over your car.
Or when you're sitting next to someone at a light and it squirts in your window and hits you in the face....

Old 07-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Teching In

I did the same thing. First, simply removing it. Then I noticed that the radiator was slightly leaning back. While according to the song this is a good thing, in my Z it is not. So, I got a hacksaw and cut the middle section out then bolted the sides on to support the radiator. So far so good, and the top end performance is great! thinking about getting the lower half of the SLP intake to force that air up there. That oughtta get it!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i took out my washer fluid, its less weight off the front end and i never used it. a 2fer. then again i also took out my fog lights and soon my drls when they burn out.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:03 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Andros
i took out my washer fluid, its less weight off the front end and i never used it. a 2fer. then again i also took out my fog lights and soon my drls when they burn out.
My foglights have been gone for a while too. I hate the way you can see them kinda sitting in there, looks cleaner without them. One of mine was jacked up anyway lol.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dreamcar98z
I did the same thing. First, simply removing it. Then I noticed that the radiator was slightly leaning back. While according to the song this is a good thing, in my Z it is not. So, I got a hacksaw and cut the middle section out then bolted the sides on to support the radiator. So far so good, and the top end performance is great! thinking about getting the lower half of the SLP intake to force that air up there. That oughtta get it!
I might try cutting the metal panel again. That metal is tough...my dremel never had a chance lol.

Did you leave the little extension that you attach the front of the filter to or did you just cut the whole middle section out and let the filter hang and if so has that been a problem (come loose)?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Teching In

I did not leave the support. So far the filter is showing no signs of stress. The bellows seem to be pretty sturdy, I just made sure all of the clamps were tight. I think that the main purpose of the front bracket was to lift the filter to allow intake from the bottom. Not an issue now;-)
Old 07-18-2006, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dreamcar98z
I did not leave the support. So far the filter is showing no signs of stress. The bellows seem to be pretty sturdy, I just made sure all of the clamps were tight. I think that the main purpose of the front bracket was to lift the filter to allow intake from the bottom. Not an issue now;-)
Thanks.