Question about starting the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about starting the car

Lately my car has not been wanting to start right up. it used to be that i would get in, turn the key, and it turns right over and cranks up. But now, i turn the key and it just turns over about 30 times before it cranks up.

the battery is a fairly new red top optima, so i am pretty sure thats not the problem. To me it seems to be the Alternator, but i replaced that about a year ago.

Also once i get it started, and turn it off, i can crank it right back up, but if it sits for awhile, it takes forever again. So if anyone has had this problem, or knows what it might be, let me know

could it be fuel pressure issue, and if so how can that be checked?

Eric
Old 07-17-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try turning the key on, but not starting the car and see what the fuel pressure is. It should jump up to 40 psi (I think) and stay there, if not, you could have a fuel delivery problem. It could also very well be ignition related, maybe a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor ? Just shooting in the dark here, but hopefully it gives you a few ideas.

One other thing to check, when you turn the ignition to run, but don't start the car, are you hearing the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds ? You should hear it spin up and then stop when the lines are pressurized.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

iunno if you've done this arleady but have you checked all your cables, to see if they are clean on both ends, when you have a bad connection it wont charge the battery fully, so when you go to turn it on again right after you turned it off it has a full charge, but if it has a small short somewhere it could be trickling your batt dry. something always small