Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Problem after turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem after turbo install

Got a issue with the turbo set up I just put on yesterday. To start it off the kit is an modified sts with a t70 and front mount running @ 7psi mount. Here is the problem, When I start the car up the exhuast pipe spits out oil for the first minute until the turbo is warmed up then it stops. It acts like when the car sits oil runs out into the turbine. This setup was used I am pretty sure I got the oil pump wired up right. Do you guys think it is a oil seal or should leave the ignition for a minute after I shut down the car to let the oil pump run. The car runs pretty good though its hasn't been tuned yet and goes like hell. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if your turbo is low enough where you need a pump its common practice to cycle the key after turning the car off and sucking the oil out of the turbo.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Thats a common problem on the STS cars. You need to leave the key on for a few seconds and let it pull it out. It normally happens after the turbos are used for awhile not when there new. I would say the seal does have some wear and you may need to look at getting a rebuild.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Your not alone in this fight. I posted a thread earlier about oil flying out of the pipe, but my problem is that it wont stop. Everyone is telling me that my pump is to blame. Im about ready to push it off a mountain.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Travizzle
Your not alone in this fight. I posted a thread earlier about oil flying out of the pipe, but my problem is that it wont stop. Everyone is telling me that my pump is to blame. Im about ready to push it off a mountain.
One of mine did that and it was a worn bearing. Remove the cold pipe/filter..reach the turbo wheel and wiggle it and see if there is any shaft play..as I was shown on mine.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Well if your turbo is low enough where you need a pump its common practice to cycle the key after turning the car off and sucking the oil out of the turbo.
what he said
Old 07-18-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it seems like oil is draining into the turbo as it sits, then the check valve is bad; not the turbo or the pump.

Quick Reply: Problem after turbo install