Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a queston

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a queston

I've got a 1998 Z-28 camaro that I've owned since new, after I put Long Tube headers on the car I was told the SES light would come on since the rear O2 sensors are dis-connected. Well, that was a year ago and the light never came on. Today just out of pure boredom at work I decided to fabricate some block off plates for the EGR and get rid of that eye sore. I removed it and blocked off the intake and headers but still no check engine light, which is good in my opinion. The car runs the same and looks cleaner under the hood now but not having a light kinda tells me something is wrong somewhere. Shouldn't that computer notice the rear O2's and EGR missing if it hasn't been tuned out?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maby the SES bulb is burned out? Take her to Autozone and get them to scan it for free. It will tell you if any codes are thrown.

It SHOULD be on right now from the EGR definatly. It performs a readiness test at startup I believe. Since you junked the EGR, you might as well scrap the AIR too.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, how hard is it to get the AIR crap off the back of the motor? I'll get it scanned today just to see because your right it should be flashing the light. I bet the bulb is blown because the SES light has never come on, neither has the check engine light. It needs a tune bad, it runs like a raped ape now but it's still a little too rich.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Maby the SES bulb is burned out? Take her to Autozone and get them to scan it for free. It will tell you if any codes are thrown.

It SHOULD be on right now from the EGR definatly. It performs a readiness test at startup I believe. Since you junked the EGR, you might as well scrap the AIR too.

hye casey, since 02s LS1 do not have EGR, when i get the tune for the AIR, !CAGS and rear 02s should i still tune the EGR out??
Old 07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Thanks, how hard is it to get the AIR crap off the back of the motor? I'll get it scanned today just to see because your right it should be flashing the light. I bet the bulb is blown because the SES light has never come on, neither has the check engine light. It needs a tune bad, it runs like a raped ape now but it's still a little too rich.
It's easy to remove it. The 98 cars don't have to worry about a vacuum line like the later cars, which is easy anyway. Unbolt the tubes from the exhaust, then start pulling out everything attached to them. It goes down to a pump behind the driver side foglight. You can unscrew that plastic pannel down there and drop the pump out the bottom after you remove a few bolts.

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
hye casey, since 02s LS1 do not have EGR, when i get the tune for the AIR, !CAGS and rear 02s should i still tune the EGR out??
You don't have any EGR codes to tune out, so no.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I just rode down to autozone since they are next door and man my car is throwing some codes!

P0102
P0103
P0134
P0140
P0151
P0160
P0405
P0650

guess the light isn't working after all! Seems the front O2 sensors aren't working at all, could be a good reason it's running rich. What could the Mass air circuit be though? It's plugged up tight and I just cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner a few days ago. Looks like I've got a mess
Old 07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
That's what she said...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/509539-water-got-up-intake-what-now-all-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs-inside.html

That thread has all the DTC codes.

MAF low/high freq seems like you might have a leak or something? I've never seen that code thrown before, let alone both of them.

DTC P0134 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1
DTC P0140 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2

DTC P0151 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
DTC P0160 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2

I don't know what to say about these. Low voltage codes tell me they aren't plugged in, because it's the same code as the EGR, which isn't plugged in. Did you buy pre-made O2 extensions or did you cut and splice with the Pacesetter kit. You may have not wired it correctly, but I don't understand how the car can run so well w/ the O2's so jacked up.

DTC P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Position Sensor Circuit Low
Voltage

This means the bitch is unplugged.

DTC P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit

This means the ******* bulb is burnt out, how sweet is that!?!!

:dials telephone:
ring ring
:hello!:
:hey man what's your number?:

Old 07-18-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DTC P0134 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1
DTC P0140 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2

DTC P0151 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
DTC P0160 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2

I don't know what to say about these. Low voltage codes tell me they aren't plugged in, because it's the same code as the EGR, which isn't plugged in. Did you buy pre-made O2 extensions or did you cut and splice with the Pacesetter kit. You may have not wired it correctly, but I don't understand how the car can run so well w/ the O2's so jacked up.

I wired it myself, even used sauder on the wires and heat shrink tubing. The sensors could be bad though because they looked pretty shitty when I took them out. I don't see how it runs at all without them working, beats the hell outta me! I'm going to autozone again in another 20 minutes to pick up two new sensors and I ordered the O2 extension from Thunder Racing so hopefully that'll cure that problem but I'm still stumped on the MAF. Would a small hole in the bellow cause it to throw that code? It has a small hole on the bottom, looks like a rat was having lunch. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-18-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

DTC P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit

This means the ******* bulb is burnt out, how sweet is that!?!!

:dials telephone:
ring ring
:hello!:
:hey man what's your number?:

ahahah that is funny