Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom X Pipe

Well, seeing as how I'm not happy with the clearance of my Y Pipe and I was pissed when my cutout caught a pothole and got yanked off, I've decided to go with TD's.

Seeing that I have access to a pipe bender and an uncle that owns a shop that does custom t tops and lean posts for boats I figured Id take a shot at running some custom exhaust.

I also have access to a lift, so why not? Seems to me that worst thing that can happen is I waste some time and material, but best case scenario, I get an X pipe I'm happy with and I can say I did it myself.

Who else has gone this route and what kind of advice you guys got? I'm planning on running it over the axle and all the way out the back. I know its a tight fit and its probably gonna be a pain in the ***, but what have I got to lose?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do It! Don't Spuds out on us.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Launching!

I agree with Camaroz. Do it.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

it'd be easy as pie to do, are you going to use the Y pipe and X it, or get a whole new setup?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
it'd be easy as pie to do, are you going to use the Y pipe and X it, or get a whole new setup?
I'm gonna try to make a new x pipe, just incase i mess it up, I can throw the y pipe back on.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chadtx01
Well, seeing as how I'm not happy with the clearance of my Y Pipe and I was pissed when my cutout caught a pothole and got yanked off, I've decided to go with TD's.

Seeing that I have access to a pipe bender and an uncle that owns a shop that does custom t tops and lean posts for boats I figured Id take a shot at running some custom exhaust.

I also have access to a lift, so why not? Seems to me that worst thing that can happen is I waste some time and material, but best case scenario, I get an X pipe I'm happy with and I can say I did it myself.

Who else has gone this route and what kind of advice you guys got? I'm planning on running it over the axle and all the way out the back. I know its a tight fit and its probably gonna be a pain in the ***, but what have I got to lose?
What size Y pipe are you running? If you are having clearance issues then you have probably lower you car too much and an X pipe will not give any better clearance.

Also a poper X pipe will need to be welded not just bent, take a look at the inside of a Magnaflow X pipe and how the merge/split collectors are designed. A poor designed X will not perform any different to a H pipe but be more hassle to make and locate.

Personally I'd buy a good quality X and fab up the rest of the tubing.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to do the X setup.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chadtx01
Be aware that tube benders and pipe benders use different dies. You can get close bending tube on a pipe bender and vice versa but the quality of the bend isn't going to be as good, or you could end up kinking the material. I'm just saying this because it sounds more like your uncle has a tube bender and not a pipe bender.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
What size Y pipe are you running? If you are having clearance issues then you have probably lower you car too much and an X pipe will not give any better clearance.

Also a poper X pipe will need to be welded not just bent, take a look at the inside of a Magnaflow X pipe and how the merge/split collectors are designed. A poor designed X will not perform any different to a H pipe but be more hassle to make and locate.

Personally I'd buy a good quality X and fab up the rest of the tubing.
I'm running a 3 inch ORY, but the clearance problem isnt from the y pipe itself. Its from the cutout, which I have angled down because of QTP electric tip. I'm running open Y pipe right now and have no real issues with rubbing or scraping.

I know about the welding apsect as well, thats where the uncle comes in handy. I've watched the man weld beer cans together to make a coffee table out of them.

Might just end up being a waste of time, and if it comes down to it, I might end up buying an X pipe, but more than anything I want to see if I can do it. It's not a pressing issue to change the exhaust so the worst thing I can lose is time and some cash for the pipe.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King James
Be aware that tube benders and pipe benders use different dies. You can get close bending tube on a pipe bender and vice versa but the quality of the bend isn't going to be as good, or you could end up kinking the material. I'm just saying this because it sounds more like your uncle has a tube bender and not a pipe bender.
I'll check to make sure, but if thats the case, one of the bank customers use to run an exhaust shop but got tired of it. Now all he does is state inspections and oil changes, but he's still got the equipment. It's funny how people like to kiss your *** and help you out as much as they can when their loan is a little bit past due.