Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might Buy Car w/ TH400, Few Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might Buy Car w/ TH400, Few Questions.

Hello

Looking to buy a car with a reverse pattern/trans braked TH400. I've been searching every where and had most of my questions answered, and there were alot because this is my first time even reading about it.

I know the shift pattern is P R N 1 2 3 and upshifting is the easy part to get...but

1. To get reverse to engage do you have to use the trans brake?

2. From what i've read, downshifting at highspeeds is a no no, but it gets complicated...its okay to shift the car from 3rd to 2nd as long as some throttle is given and after the gear is engaged give the trans a second to hook?

3. Coming to a stop at a light, you can downshift to second around 35 mph, then at a complete stop go to first or you can just coast from 3rd, stop, then just push up twice to get back to first, right?

I really tried to figure these things out, and its probably a simple concept, but I am just a bit thick. Anyone who can help me out, thanks to you big time.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by js3324
Hello

Looking to buy a car with a reverse pattern/trans braked TH400. I've been searching every where and had most of my questions answered, and there were alot because this is my first time even reading about it.

I know the shift pattern is P R N 1 2 3 and upshifting is the easy part to get...but

1. To get reverse to engage do you have to use the trans brake?

2. From what i've read, downshifting at highspeeds is a no no, but it gets complicated...its okay to shift the car from 3rd to 2nd as long as some throttle is given and after the gear is engaged give the trans a second to hook?

3. Coming to a stop at a light, you can downshift to second around 35 mph, then at a complete stop go to first or you can just coast from 3rd, stop, then just push up twice to get back to first, right?

I really tried to figure these things out, and its probably a simple concept, but I am just a bit thick. Anyone who can help me out, thanks to you big time.
1. Depends on the transbrake, I have a Rossler TH400 with brake but its not hooked up yet and I can shift into reverse just fine.

2. Its always a no no to downshift at high speeds. As long as your within the gears MPH window you can downshift and stand on it. You don't want to be going 90 and downshift but if your doing 30 to 40 then downshift and let er eat.

3. Both of those techniques will work but keep in mind a manual valve body has no engine braking in first or second the engine will drop back to idle once you take your foot off the gas. I slow down to 10 or 15 and pop the tranny into first and coast to my stop, ready to go when the light turns green.

The TH400 is an incredibly strong transmission. I don't abuse it with nuetral drops or anything stupid but I'll be cruising along in 3rd at 35 to 40 mph and downshift to second and plant the throttle..........whoo hooo thats fun. time to shift to 3rd at about 70.
All these shenanigans and the fluid still looks like I just put it in.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Teching In

When you downshift, do you have to use the throttle? Then, once you have physically moved the shifter up to actuate the downship, you have to slowly play with the throttle to have it grab before hitting the gas harder?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by js3324
When you downshift, do you have to use the throttle? Then, once you have physically moved the shifter up to actuate the downship, you have to slowly play with the throttle to have it grab before hitting the gas harder?

You probably won't be able to feel it downshift, but when you hit the gas it'll launch like a rocket.