Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build my engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build my engine

I need some help deciding what all needs to be done to my car. I've been beating on it pretty bad for the last 4 years and with the exception of the intake, cat-back exhaust, spark plugs, wires and fluids, the rest of the drivetrain is factory origional. I'll be headed back to the States this winter and when I get there, I'm going to have someone go over the car and give it a good refresh. My primary use for the car is AutoX (building up for SM2) and track days, but I do want to keep it "street legal" (read, I don't care about comfort and don't have to get inspected, but don't want the cops to jump me the second I pull out of the driveway ). What I'm looking for is a good reliable engine with a broad powerband.

This is what I know for sure:
Radiator/oil cooler
Accusump
LG Pro Long Tube Headers
new cam (maybe heads too)
underdrive pully
belt tensioner
catch can

What I have questions on?
-Timing chain - Which one is best. Is there any need for a double roller? what all is required to make a double roller fit. Or would it be better to stick with something like the Katech chain?
-oil pump - I know Katech makes a ported oil pump. Anyone else make a better one?
-cam - I know this is a big question. I'm looking at the G5X3, but would like to hear recomendations for other options
-valve springs - which ones
-push rods - same questions
-rockers - any need/benefit to replacing them?
-AIR system - any reason to keep it? What all do you have to do to remove it?

**The big question**
What else should I have replaced while the engine is apart?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I have questions on?
-Timing chain - Which one is best. Is there any need for a double roller? what all is required to make a double roller fit. Or would it be better to stick with something like the Katech chain? Lots of people like the LS2 timing chain. Seems to be a nice piece. I personally use the Rollmaster heat treated double roller. It installs easily and is of high quality. There is no modification needed to install most double roller chains. Katech makes top quality items, you will be happy with anything you get from them.

-oil pump - I know Katech makes a ported oil pump. Anyone else make a better one? Again, the Katech oil pump is top notch. I got mine from Thunder Racing and it is awesome. I have about 45psi at idle and up to 80 at redline.

-cam - I know this is a big question. I'm looking at the G5X3, but would like to hear recomendations for other options. I've been out of the cam game for awhile so I don't know much about the newer cams.

-valve springs - which ones. Depends on which cam you get and how much lift you plan on running. Comp 918/921, or Patriot Gold Duals will work for many cams out there.

-push rods - same questions. Lots of people run the Thunder Racing heat treated ones. I have them and they have been great.

-rockers - any need/benefit to replacing them? The stock ones are pretty good for most applications. It couldn't hurt to replace them however with Yella Terra or Harlan Sharpe rockers.

-AIR system - any reason to keep it? What all do you have to do to remove it? Dump it.

**The big question**
What else should I have replaced while the engine is apart? Replace the main, rod, and cam bearings. It's also a good idea to change out the rod bolts for some stronger ARP ones. ARP main studs would work nicely too. You might want to have the rings replaced also. Also, every gasket should be changed out including the front and rear main seals.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on everything except the rockers, my vote is to replace them with new stock ones. They are perfectly fine and will certainly have no issues holding up to cam/heads horsepower.