Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how much window tinting is safe?

Old 07-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cops and window tinting

For those of you with illegal window tinting, have you ever been pulled over? What happened? Did you get a ticket or a warning? I am considering putting tinting on my current car and wanted to know the possible legal problems that I might get into if I got an illegal tint.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rabada
For those of you with illegal window tinting, have you ever been pulled over? What happened? Did you get a ticket or a warning? I am considering putting tinting on my current car and wanted to know the possible legal problems that I might get into if I got an illegal tint.
I think it changes from state to state. It also depends on the cops mood. If you get pulled over and the cop is an ***, you'll probably get a ticket.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Banned

What state do you live in?? Depending on where you live, there are legal limits as to what percentage of tint your windows can have.

Here in NJ, we technically can't have any window tint. Thats actually funny, because 99% of cars today come from the factory with solar ray tinted windows. NJ cops and lawmakers are stupid ******** though, which explains why we have such stupid laws

And of course if you do have tints, the police will be all to ready to harass you. My manager at work was pulled over 8 times in one day for his tints on his Tiburon, all by cops in my town.

Look into your state laws, see what they allow, and make your decision from there.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Got plenty of fix it tickets for it in Cali. Gotta peel it off and then have it redone usually like a $10 administrative fee, PITA.

No problems in Las Vegas NV though.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

KY here. Bought my car in Indiana and had to get it inspected....yep my tints illegal but the cop was cool and it wasnt a big deal.

Here is how they roadside test windows for tint here. They will ask for your license and put it to the inside of the window. Then they look into the glass and if they can read the info your good if not its illegal. Kinda simple but hey thats what the cop said.

Luckily cops here are cool and dont get stuck up about window tint.

The only thing about cops that sucks is a town just N. of me has 3 undercover 4th gen Camaros and a porsche that will pull up next to you at a light and rev up and try to get you to race and when you take off if you spin they get you for reckless driving.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Keep you Fbody Looking Clean.. And you should Have NO hassles... They will Be Cought out In the Momment of Joy when they see your Car.. This is True.. think about it.. I have 30% on sides.. & Also Drive with No front Plate i have Not been pulled over in a whole Yearr so far.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99m6t/a

The only thing about cops that sucks is a town just N. of me has 3 undercover 4th gen Camaros and a porsche that will pull up next to you at a light and rev up and try to get you to race and when you take off if you spin they get you for reckless driving.
^^^Thats fucked up.

Its one thing to write someone up for breaking the rules, but instigating them to do so and then punishing them for it is complete bullshit.

Any cop that participates in that activity is a straight up scumbag
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Just look at it like this. I've never pulled anyone over for the sole purpose of writing them a window tint ticket. I've pulled people over for window tint because I wanted to look inside the car. It all depends where you live. If coppers in your area have nothing better to do then i guess they'd hit you up quite a bit.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatnumStatuz
Got plenty of fix it tickets for it in Cali. Gotta peel it off and then have it redone usually like a $10 administrative fee, PITA.

No problems in Las Vegas NV though.

I live in the bay too and all of my cars have had 5% all the way around. With my first two cars i got tickets and just had a friend of mine thats a cop write it off and then i just pay $10. With my SS i have just been warned because the cop was too busy to deal with a tint ticket. So far in the SS i've been lucky.(knock on wood)

Hey Platnum, what goes down in the 707?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chadtx01
I think it changes from state to state. It also depends on the cops mood. If you get pulled over and the cop is an ***, you'll probably get a ticket.
I live in Indiana.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Indiana.
Drive nice, be respectfull and don't do anything suspcious...you should be okay.

No gurantees.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Usually the cops here in Iowa are OK with tint, and no front license plates, and taillight covers, and loud exhuast, and bald drag slicks...but not all at once on the same car.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
What state do you live in?? Depending on where you live, there are legal limits as to what percentage of tint your windows can have.

Here in NJ, we technically can't have any window tint. Thats actually funny, because 99% of cars today come from the factory with solar ray tinted windows. NJ cops and lawmakers are stupid ******** though, which explains why we have such stupid laws

And of course if you do have tints, the police will be all to ready to harass you. My manager at work was pulled over 8 times in one day for his tints on his Tiburon, all by cops in my town.

Look into your state laws, see what they allow, and make your decision from there.
that's not true. you're allowed to tint the back window as much as you want and the backseat windows in 4 door cars up to i think 40%. you're just not allowed to tint the front side windows or the windshield. i'm not 100% sure about that 40% number, you can double check me if you want.

my friend had a truck with both of his windows tinted to 20%. he never got pulled over. he sold the truck but i'm sure he woulda failed inspection. it's not worth it IMO, just tint the back to hide your stereo stuff if you have any. that's what i gotta do...

EDIT: okay, i was mistaken about the 40% figure. these are the actual laws for NJ:

front sides: NONE
rear sides: ANY %
rear window: ANY %
visor: NONE
net/film: net

source: http://www.tintdude.com/ntoo.html
Old 07-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

i have limo tint on the sides and on the rear. i've never had them say anything to me about it. when i lived in el paso i had to have someone shady do my inspection, but now that i'm in pa it's not an inspectable item you just have to watch for the cops.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got pulled over when I had 20% tint. Cop was an *******. He used some sort of light meter that fit over the window and measured the tint. He said "Well, normally we tow cars right on the spot with illegal window tint, but I'll let you off tonight." I'm thinking yeah, ok, thanks jack ***, I feel privileged. So he wrote me a ticket/fine and I had to pay that then I had to pay to get my windows retinted to 50%, which is legal in Ohio. About a week later one of my friends was like, "Dude, you need your windows tinted." So, in others words 50% tint doesn't even look tinted. Oh yeah, if you want to find out the legal percent in your state go to www.tintcenter.com and click on State window tint laws.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In PA, it's illegal to have any tint on the front, driver, and passenger windows no matter what the percentage. It's a matter of safety. The glass on these windows is tempered to shatter in the case of an accident. If you have film tint on the glass, it is not longer safe.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

50% is all you're allowed in Ohio, but as long as it's not too dark, 20% or less, most cops won't hassle you. I did get pulled over for mine by this cop in a stupid little cop-magnet suburb of Cleveland that is notorious for their over-zealous police force. I was cool to him, but he gave me a $100 ticket for the tint, or he said I could rip it off and the ticket would only be $50. I told him to step in front of a bus and paid the $100 ticket and have never been through that area since.

If you want to get darker tint, just get 35%. It looks nice, but doesn't attract alot of attention from cops, as you can still see in the car somewhat.

If you do happen to get pulled over, just roll your windows down right away and keep them down and shut the car off. The cop can't write you a ticket if he can't check them with a meter and he can't check them with the windows down all the way!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ssPetess
In PA, it's illegal to have any tint on the front, driver, and passenger windows no matter what the percentage. It's a matter of safety. The glass on these windows is tempered to shatter in the case of an accident. If you have film tint on the glass, it is not longer safe.
that's not true. i go to school in PA and lots of people have dark windows driving around. in PA, it's legal to have 70% tint all the way around, but none on your visor according to this website:

http://www.tintdude.com/ntoo.html

but it can't be film tint, it has to be net tint.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its not the ticket for the tints that you should worry about....its what they'll get you for along with the tints fine...
Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roll your windows down so the cop can see you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how much window tinting is safe?