Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering wheel differences on TA from 98 - 02

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering wheel differences on TA from 98 - 02

I have an 02 TA WS6 with dark grey interior with 31,000 miles on it. My brother has a 98 standard TA with 70,000 miles on it. I notice that my 2002 steering wheel is much slicker (slippery) and harder to grasp than his 98.

Did GM make changes to the steering wheel construction between 98 and 02? Not only does the 98 have a better textured leather, but I swear it feels thicker, like it is padded a little heavier than my 02. I find it hard to believe that mine is more worn out than his considering that his has twice the mileage.

Anyway, does anyone know of any good tricks to take the sheen off of my steering wheel so it is more textured and tackier? Simple green or something?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

A friend of mine has a 98 T/A like mine and his has that slippery feel. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

A steering wheel cover.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

As I said in the original post, my 2002 has 40,000 less miles than his 98 and my 2002 is has the seemingly "worn out" steering wheel. The 98 has a great steering wheel. Its my newer 2002 with 40k less miles that that sucks.

That is why I wanted to know if GM changed the steering wheel between the those years because they are significantly different textured where the newer car has the worse feeling steering wheel.

So, again the questions where:

1). Did GM make any changes to the leather used betwen 98 and 02?

2). What do you guys clean the steering wheel with to keep it from getting slimey without ruining the leather? Simple green? Armor All cleaning solution? Window cleaner?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rybo Flavin
2). What do you guys clean the steering wheel with to keep it from getting slimey without ruining the leather? Simple green? Armor All cleaning solution? Window cleaner?
Try leather cleaner. Simple Green may be a bit harsh, and Armor All will saturate it with oil & feel nasty to the touch.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

No GM did not make any changes to the steering wheels, each steering wheel will wear differently on how the wheel is held.
The only thing I use on my steering wheel to clean it is Meguires cleaning wipes.
Armor All wouldnt be very smart as your hand can slip and cause you to have a accident. Simple Green might dis color it.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the only difference was the cheapening of the steering wheel buttons.They also lost the indentions the 1998's had. What I do to clean my dash/steering wheel is a capful of spic-n-span in a one gallon bucket filled with water. Wipe it down and it removes the grime/dirt. I use Armor All on everything but the steering wheel because as stated above, it makes it slippery and can cause you to lose control. You could try leather cleaner, but it will most likely make the steering wheels slippery. Spic-n-span also brightens up the white lettering on the steering controls. However, do not rub too much because it will remove the white lettering completely.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zaino leather cleaner works on it and doesn't leave it slippery.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel differences on TA from 98 - 02