Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Why is it so darn hard to sell my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why is it so darn hard to sell my car?

As I'm sure you all know, I've had my car for sale for quite awhile. I started off at a little lofty of a price, but have since come down to what I believe is a "good deal" on a fairly low mileage car. So what gives?

I think the main "problem" is we're fairly isolated from the rest of the country and the people that are looking for them don't want to travel this far.

I have it advertised in autotrader, craigslist, here, LS2.com, corvetteforum, pro-touring.com, camaroz28.com, and displayed it at the local cruise in several times and still no sale.

Any suggestions to get this thing moved out of my driveway to a happy new home?

My last resort is ebay, but even there I don't know that I'll find someone to bid a decent price....seems to me most of the cars on there that I've watched don't sell....don't really know if that is due to the owners thinking there car is gold and set there reserve to high, or bidders looking for a great bargin and not willing to pay for a nice car.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

My bet is the new camaro that is comming out in a couple of years. Everyone that wants a camaro wants to hold out untill the new one comes out.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I had the same trouble a couple years ago selling my '00 WS6. I was in L.A. and got no play from local papers/auto traders/etc (except ridiculous lowballers), did online (here and other car sites) and ebay. Finally sold it to a guy from here who saw it both here and on ebay and waited to see that I missed my reserve by $500 or so.......like you, for less then I wanted (originally asked) but for enough to pay it off and relieve myself of the additional car payment.........it is just a very fickle car market for these cars...........small amount of people appreciate them enough to pay what they are allegedly worth and even fewer to pay what we want for them (what WE think they are worth). The only ones I have seen sell fast are the ones that are priced mega-cheap.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and the sale.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are considered, by the majority of the population, as pleasure cars with a small niche market. Not to mention that most of the population also think they get horrible gas mileage. With gas prices hovering around $3/gal it's enough to turn alot of potential buyers toward an economy car without so much as a glance at TA or Z28.

Good luck with your sale dude. It's gonna be a bit tough to sell in this market, but the buyer for your car is out there somewhere.

Mike
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

IMHO you also run into the problem that the Formy is aimed at an even smaller niche market. Not too many people want the big engine in a car that looks like a V-6.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I understand your pain. i've had mine for sale off and on for over a year now and had got a few interest. the last guy wanted me to drive it to Florida in like less then a week. um sorry can't do that. well good luck man!!

Brad
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by B-RAD2
I understand your pain. i've had mine for sale off and on for over a year now and had got a few interest. the last guy wanted me to drive it to Florida in like less then a week. um sorry can't do that. well good luck man!!

Brad
Had a couple of those requests........"Dude, can you drive it from L.A. to Philly so I can check it out?" Sure dude, wait by the front door for me.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, these cars are a tough sell in this part of the country... when I've put my car up for sale, I've gotten lots of people interested in the midwest, south, and east... but none of them wanted to fly out here to pick it up. I swear they think Washington state is almost as far as Alaska.

I was willing to meet people halfway from just about anywhere, but most other people weren't willing to do the same.

The only way you'll get a quick sale is to basically take a bath on it, unfortunately. You probably would have been better off trading it in for your Corvette.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
You probably would have been better off trading it in for your Corvette.
I'm thinking maybe you're right....oh well, live and learn.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

I was just askin my uncle what F-Bods get at the wholesale auctions and he said he doent even pay attention because nobody wants them...
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

You could do like the vette guys do, sell off all the good parts and then lower price. It really sucks that we put the $$$ into the cars because we are into em but can't get it back out a sale time.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Problem is he doesn't have a whole lot of aftermarket parts to sell off... he might make an extra $500 or so that way, and so really it wouldn't even be worth the time and effort to take them off, IMO.

Do you know what they would have given you in a trade, just off hand? You could always try offering the car for sale around $1000 above that and see where that gets you.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

they offered my $11k for trade in on it, but I would have had to drive to to LA too
Old 07-26-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

I'll give you $5K and the wait will be over...deal?

I'll let a friend of mine know and he may have to buy. He always buys f-bods then decides he needs to get out of debt and sells. Done that 3 times now w/ a beautiful SS being the most recent.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might have you a buyer, please PM me ALL INFORMATION including pictures or you can email me: Jon@superantispyware.com
Old 07-26-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Part of it imo is that if someone buys one of the F-body cars they are a pain to drive in the winter, or so I have been told. Other issue is mileage. First thing I get from people when I talk about the car is "I bet you get crap mileage" when in reality it isn't that bad, is almost as good as my GTP, except on the Highway. Right now I avg close to 22MPG with the TA and 26 with the GTP and on the HWY with the TA I got high 26MPG (just went to Yakima for a wedding this last weekend) and the GTP has gotten 32.5MPG driving through the passes over near Helena MT, better than what I got driving it off the lot from the dealership, mods have really helped with MPG and the performance!

Other issue could be as said that it looks like a V6 car but has the V8. I honestly thought it was the other way around, looked like the V8 car but had a V6. Unless you point it out people are going to think you have a V6 in the car first glance, I always do. I just bought mine for 14k with 55k miles on it three months ago. Someone is out there and will buy it, trust me! Could always try to put it in the WheelDeals for the Spokane area, think it is $30 for a photo and a little deal about the car. Location does kind of bite us in the *** in the NW.

GL with the sale!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you look at thet used fbody market right now you can find a bunch of them in types of cond. from pretty well kept to crapped out.

We have been trying to sell my husbands Modded out stgreet/strip 95 Camaro with no such luck. We had the same issues with our 99 which was stock. everyone wanted them but they cant afford.

Right now with the gas prices where they are at most people are going for cheaper eco cars.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
Might have you a buyer, please PM me ALL INFORMATION including pictures or you can email me: Jon@superantispyware.com
email sent
Old 07-30-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well after months and months, it looks like I have my car sold. A guy from Indiana is going to come get it in about a week and a half. I guess he has to go finalize the information with his bank and all, so hopefully it will all work out.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Well after months and months, it looks like I have my car sold. A guy from Indiana is going to come get it in about a week and a half. I guess he has to go finalize the information with his bank and all, so hopefully it will all work out.
Congrats & good luck. I will keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Quick Reply: Why is it so darn hard to sell my car?