Tejada as Astro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tejada as Astro?

OK, So I like to post baseball rumors that I've read. I saw on cnnsi.com , prosportsdaily.com and espn.com that the Astros were "interested" in Miguel Tejada.

Supposedly they are trying work out a deal structured around Adam Everitt and Jason Hirsch and probably at least one other player, more than likely two.

What do you guys think? Tejada would definately bolster the lineup and make the Astros offense formidable and could give them a legitimate chance at getting to the postseason.

I would have posted this on SSU but I can't get there from work anymore, but I know we have some Astros fans on here and I'm bored at work.

Discuss.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

I heard similar rumors the other day on Sports Radio 610. They were purely speculating, but the most interesting packages were Lidge/Everett/Hirsch or Lidge/Everett/Pence for Tejada. Either of those should be attractive offers to Baltimore. From a future perspective, would we be willing to give up Pence or Hirsch? Also, presuming Pettitte, Clemens, and Bagwell's salaries are gone next year, will Drayton pay up to keep Tejada in Houston?

From a "now" perspective, if we trade Lidge, who becomes the closer? Lidge has been totally ineffective in that role, no doubt, but who closes? Wheeler? Qualls? Both have been sporadic, but good overall. The question is, do either of them have what it takes to close? Some people keep throwing out Backe as a closer, but with his arm injuries, I don't see the Astros trotting him out there every day.

-Mike
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont see Backe in the closer role at all. I dont know why, I just can't see him closing out a game.

Honestly, I would say the closer would be Qualls. He's been the most consistant as of late and he's got his ERA down to under 3.50 I think. I want to say it was 3.48 last time I watched him pitch and he didn't give up any runs.

No doubt in my mind that Lidge will be a great closer, I just dont see it happening in Houston. I think the guy needs a change of scenery.

I also think the Astros have to make a push this year. I dont see Clemens coming back next year, I think this is it. I would be suprised if they resigned Pettitte so I just dont know how the rotation is gonna look and I would love to see Biggio leave with a ring, and even though he'll probably be back next year to get that 3000th hit, for some reason, it just seems like next year they're gonna be mediocre.

I say if you can make the trade do it, that should give them a pretty dangerous lineup and Tejada is locked up for another 3 years I think, and with Bagwell and Clemens off the payroll, I don't think Drayton would scoff at paying that salary.