Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout Plate sucked back up in exhaust or impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutout Plate sucked back up in exhaust or impossible?

My electric cutout broke the other day, the plate broke off and was rattling so i drove right home and got under the car and it was gone..it didnt have room to come out the exhaust im most positive. This happened with my camaro b4 too.
My question is does the engine cause enough suctionwhen letting off to suck that plate back up the exhaust?
Just was thinking cuz if it does i have had my driver side bank plugs all fouled and it has been missing randomly lately.
Just a thought...farfetched hope.

No codes, i was thinking coil pack ground etc...but is this possible????
Old 07-25-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

THE EXHUAST NEVER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Even when down revving the engine is just a giant air pump, air goes in the intake and out the exhuast. Never the other way round.

The plate probably just fell out or some how entered the rest of the exhuast and might have ended up in the muffler, but you'd probably hear it rattling if it did.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

YA GOOD POINT IT MOST LIKELY WENT BACKA FEW INCHES AND WENT TOWARDS THE REAR IN THE EXHAUST.

ill just try the 02 and if thats not it it will have to be the coil signal gnd or something
Old 07-25-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
THE EXHUAST NEVER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Even when down revving the engine is just a giant air pump, air goes in the intake and out the exhuast. Never the other way round.

The plate probably just fell out or some how entered the rest of the exhuast and might have ended up in the muffler, but you'd probably hear it rattling if it did.

We stuck a paper cup in my friend's exhaust on his SRT4 and the minute we started it, it sucked the whole cup back into the exhaust haha

It wouldn't happen if the car was turned on though
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

well it was shut off b4 i got home.
Oh well im sure its something retarded.
Seems to be worse in like 3rd gear at a low rpm. then it clears out most the time.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that srt4 could be cuased by the turbo too?? maybe jsut a guess lol i have no idea
Old 07-25-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...although, most any offroader might say when in water you best not downshift because of suction -keep on the gas and in the same gear to keep the flow outward. Not arguing, but might not be as crazy as it sounds.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
...although, most any offroader might say when in water you best not downshift because of suction -keep on the gas and in the same gear to keep the flow outward. Not arguing, but might not be as crazy as it sounds.

I think they are talking about when the front is in water as well. The intake would suck up water.

I know what its like to have a cold air intake suck up water . Gdamned winters in the grand am