Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rolled out my car after T56 rebuild +, project has burnt me out.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rolled out my car after T56 rebuild +, project has burnt me out.

Well I rolled her out today after redoing my rr's with the engine running, it wasn't too bad honestly it was cleaner than with stock rockers there was no oil splashing on the headers at all. Anyways I went 3/8ths past clattering, Used new fel pro valve cover gaskets to try and cure the mysterious top rear engine leak I can't find.

My 5 year problem of shaking and shuddering when I go out on 1st gear is cured, I wish I could say what did it exactly but I did so much on this that I can't pinpoint it. I have a feeling that the a-hole who owned the car b4 me had warped that flywheel and had them remove 1/4 inch to correct. So that was great to have fixed finally.

Reverse still scratches when I go into it, and then once engaged it klunks hard and u feel something slide into place which I thnk has been the rearend but I don't know what to think for sure anymore. I know in the least I should not be scratching to get into it.

2nd gear jumped out on me 4 times. I am really hoping that maybe the Pro 5.0 shifter I installed has the stop bolt on it too far out and not letting me engage 2nd all the way in. But none the less it's still a hope and a longshot my gut tells me. Not good news.

Then as I'm on my trial run, my supertrapp starts sounding like a turbo or something and my engine won't rev past 2000 , not too big a deal I guess outside of the work to get down there and add all the discs again. It's happened to me b4 when I ran 5 discs which makes my setup fairly quiet after the dynomax bullet but it seems my engine does not like it, this is my 2nd attempt becuz last time it was hangin low and I bumped something on the street and I figured thats what did it. So i will have to put all 12 discs back on which puts me at almost what the bullet sounds like alone.

I then just stopped in case maybe the muffler was overheating and to give the engine a break from I guess suffocating itself, I popped the hood to check the rear leak and sure enough there is oil all over the firewall behind the manifold. So unless there is a hole on the back of the top of my block its the infamous intake manifold leak which I think I aggravated with my extra backpressure which was possibly sending exhaust back up via my crank evac breathers increasing internal crankcase pressure (earlier today my breathers were rattling and showing signs of exhaust coming up rather than vacuum, but that wasn't enough to hint to me that my Supertrapp setup needed more discs, I don't know why...... I figured maybe it was just becuz it was during idle and that under acceleration the breathers would vacuum instead like they should, which is strange cuz either way I thought the valves below at the exhaust were supposed to be 1 way)

Too much pain and tension on my body to work on this tommorrow it's been 8 days straight under this car working alone. I called some buddies but they have all since sold their Fbodies so I swung it alone on my back. I guess with this much chit newly installed I should have expected this. Just tired.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya on that. I have alot going wrong with my car too. I guess i should have thought twice before i bought it from the guy. But then again my last camaro was 1 owned by a 50 year old woman and i had to replace pretty much everything in the drivetrain. They are my favorite car in the world but i have the worst of luck. I am almost ready to give up on them. I just cant get one to run good. O well. I wish you the best of luck with yours!